SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 3 of 5 [ 69 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

lion queen Take a guess at what we saw in KTP April 2012

Forum Assistant
Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:45 pm Unread post
Pumbaa wrote
WoW - What a stunning cheetah sighting although I felt a bit sorry for them not to get their well desered lunch right away :?

I do know it a shame, all the hunts that we saw took place from 11h00 up to 14H00. And then they are so hot that they can't eat immediately and this time there were 4 very hungry jackal running around!!! But when we came back he had taken his lunch into the veld and was munching away a very happy cheetah!!!
Last post

Re: Take a guess at what we saw in KTP April 2012

Forum Assistant
Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:12 pm Unread post
Day 2 part 3

On our way back to Urikarus we saw 34 BEF from as early as 14H24. The most together being 6.

Up at the view point the giraffes were busy checking out the carcass that the hyenas left behind the morning.

Six kilometres before 13th waterhole we saw 3 kudus galloping down the river!!!

Then at the old Urikarus waterhole we see something dashing across the road…………….

AWC

We arrived back at camp two very happy spotters for the day

5 cheetahs
7 hyenas
34 BEF
1 AWC
18 Jackals
3 kudus

Not bad for day two

Tbc………….

Forum Assistant
Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:53 pm Unread post
Night 2

We got home and had a nice braai. It was cold………really freezing cold!!!

The waterhole light was on tonight and we sat and waited for the animals to come and have a drink and give us a show!!!...............but nothing came…………. :x

We packed up and went up to the bedroom, but I just could not get into the bed………I kept on saying to myself……….what if that leopard come and have a drink and I’m in bed……….. :naughty:

We were sitting on the little stoep wrapped in the blankets……….two jackals came down to the waterhole and then nothing. :whistle:

A bit later we heard something under the bedroom………I shone the flash down and there a hyena was running out from under the cabin!!! :dance:

It moved to cabin 2 and disappeared behind the tree between the two cabins………. :roll:

Then we again heard twigs braking and something moving……….again I shone the flash and nearly fainted……….all I could say was there there there……….I could not even remember the word leopard!!! :shock: :dance:

It was on its way to the waterhole when the hyena came running and chased it into the tree in front of number 4.

Now the cherry on top of all was both cameras was down in the kitchen……….so we ran down there to get the cameras and see what’s going on now between leopard and hyena!!! :wall:

Hyena decided that leopard was not playing nice and left to look for a new playmate!!! :dance:

Leopard got out of the tree and just sat there looking at the waterhole………..I was shaking so much that the poor camera never got the chance to focus!!! :slap:

This is the best I got and it is terrible!!! :big_eyes:

It went down to the waterhole had a very quick drink and the walked under cabin4 and disappeared.

Cabin 4 was empty and we did not really want to walk around in the dark of night on that walkway!! :big_eyes:

Must confess I was exhausted!! I slept like a baby after all of that!!! :whistle:

Near day brake I saw a group of giraffe at the waterhole and while we were getting up they returned.

Forum Assistant
Tue May 01, 2012 7:53 pm Unread post
Day 3 part 1

While I was packing the picnic basket for the day, the waterhole was visited by the hyena again. The giraffes were standing at the trees looking at him.

We were moving today to Mata Mata and decided to have a look at the view point and then go down south a bit before we go up to Mata Mata.

About five kilometres from Urikarus SO had to stop and go back because I was convinced I saw something under one of the trees……..it could only have been a springbok, but I wanted to make sure what did I see.

Leopard……………second one for the trip!!!!

It walked along near the top of the ridge, but always behind the bushes. Then after 20 minutes it just disappeared and did not come out from behind the ridge.

Astromatt has ID the leopard as Barolong

Forum Assistant
Tue May 01, 2012 7:57 pm Unread post
We made a u-turn and headed south. Not far on we spotted a bird next to the road and a stick in the road. Then the bird hopped into the road and stood next to the stick. Only then we realized it was a cape cobra!!

The snake made his way to the top of the roadside and the bird just stood there looking at it?? Then the snake went up into a thorn tree and the bird followed it and sat at the top of the tree.

Forum Assistant
Tue May 01, 2012 10:11 pm Unread post
Day 3 part 2

We slowly made our way further down south. Three kilometres past Montrose we saw a herd of BWB that was running down the riverbed.

I thought it must be lions chasing them……….thought we might be in for our first lion chase and kill.

So I said to SO must be lions…………nope he said……….they was chasing something………..look there in front of the herd!!!

You won’t believe me, but there running towards us was……..

It was Miera………..one awesome leopard and she loves to give a show!!

She walked up to the bakkie and across the road right behind us………….best of all not another car insight!!!

If you don’t mind I’ll smother you with some more photos of her………….

Forum Assistant
Wed May 02, 2012 7:58 am Unread post
Suej wrote
When did people start naming the leopards in the KTP?

Hi SueJ

Have a look here

There's an identification booklet also available that you can download..........here

Forum Assistant
Sat May 05, 2012 2:17 pm Unread post
Day 3 part 3

She went halfway up the ridge on the other side and did the Johnnie Walker thing.

We were still facing the other way, so we did the best we could at that stage and followed her in reverse!!!

Forum Assistant
Sat May 05, 2012 2:29 pm Unread post

Forum Assistant
Sat May 05, 2012 2:40 pm Unread post

Forum Assistant
Sat May 05, 2012 3:52 pm Unread post

She was a lazy kitten

Just after this she disappeared behind two big bushes and did not reappear. We waited a while and then headed north………….

Special sighting to follow…………………..

Forum Assistant
Wed May 09, 2012 9:59 pm Unread post
Day 3 part 4

Just before Montrose something was laying in the sun next to the road…………..What’s that???

Just after we stopped next to it, it got up and scurried away into the long grass.

Our first Rock Monitor ever in the KTP……….to us it was very special and I don’t know how many of you have seen rock monitors on your visits to KTP.

Best of all this would not be our last sighting……a few days later we saw another one!!!

Forum Assistant
Wed May 09, 2012 10:03 pm Unread post
Then it was the giraffes' turn

Some Gemsbuck were having a drink at the waterhole

Forum Assistant
Wed May 09, 2012 10:07 pm Unread post
Then it was the RHB’s turn

Some birdies for those of you who were feeling left out………….

TBC..............

Thu May 10, 2012 10:26 pm Unread post
So I guessed wrong :( but I will donate the R100 anyway as that is a special sighting for the KTP lion queen :dance: :dance: :dance:

Also love the pics of the antelopes especially the gemsbok and they way that blue sky of the kalahari has been captured in your photos :thumbs_up:

and a pearly too :D

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5 [ 69 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic