SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

What's up at Karoo National Park ?

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:18 pm Unread post
Any news on Karoo ? It seems as if discussions of this fabulous park have dried up !

Who has recently been there - are all the roads now open, how are the lions doing, have you seen any of the 5 black rhinos in the park, and buffalo ?

Any comments on the two 4x4 routes ?

Len
Last post

Re: What's up at Karoo National Park ?

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:29 pm Unread post
Have you read Lions at home in the Karoo , Len ? :D

Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:49 pm Unread post
Yes, thanks Matthys, I have seen Megan Taplin's report.

Len

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:38 pm Unread post
I believe the bird hide is open and the fossil trail has been upgraded. They were working on the roads. This is a fabulous park but many people have said that they do not see much wildlife, to me wildlife is what happens in the cities and peace and quite is what happens in the Karoo. I wish I could live there, so can anyone update us

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:45 pm Unread post
Hi Lenloader

I have written about it previously, but my big frustration is that there are actually not enough roads for anybody who wants to stay in Karoo for an extended time. I have gone a way on the 4x4 route, looking for lions, but the going is very slow, and the animals still very skittish -- they run like mad when they spot your vehicle!

There needs to be a special Campsite somewhere in the far western end, so that the animals get used to vehicles, and you can relax FAR enough away from the N1 and its truck and traffic noise, that is audible from many of the game drives open to the public at present.

They also need to speed up the cheetah restocking programme, which was announced in 2009. Surely there are enough springbok for them now, especially considering that the lions prefer gemsbok...

Hope to visit again soon!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Guru
Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:58 am Unread post
Hi all,
You'll see some recent updates on sightings etc from our new guide at the Park here: http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60297

The decision on whether it is the right time to introduce cheetah will be taken after we have done our annual game census (usually around May). However, it is quite likely that we will only introduce after the 2013 census in order to ensure that when we do introduce cheetah, there is more than enough prey base for them and so that springbok populations will not be negatively affected.

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 am Unread post
Friedrich - I am aware of your previous posts and agree that a second camp in Karoo will be wonderful. Taking into account the first, new camping facilities in Camdeboo recently established by Megan T and the rest of the SANParks team, I am sure something is going to happen soon in this regard at Karoo !

Megan - It is excellent news to learn that the newly appointed guide will keep us updated on sightings and other matters in Karoo - thanks !

Hope to be in Karoo on 9 & 10 April and again on 25/5 !

Len

Guru
Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:20 pm Unread post
Good day,

As a sanparks employee i dont really have a say, but on my arrival at Karoo National Park this holiday i was impressed. The gate guard was friendly and i felt like an old friend coming back home. Driving around the park i have found that the proper maintenance was done and it just looked perfect. The accommodation was outstanding clean and neat. Even the restaurant was extremely friendly, clean and the food was something to look forward to.

i have to congratulate the friends on that side of the country on the job well done.

:clap:

Junior Virtual Ranger
Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:57 pm Unread post
Hi Len

Living very near to Karoo Nat Park and I can say is that the Park is very green and full of grass after good rains this summer. Lots of little ones everywhere.

All the roads are in good condition. The lions are not a regular sighting but the Park is so big and not many roads to travel. Buffaloes have been moved to another Park, not sure where. Rhinos are spotted once in a while. Lots of kudu, gemsbuck and other game will keep you busy. There is a very beautiful and shaded picnicspot on the Klipspringer road.

Can't help you on the 4X4=roads, but heard that the overnight chalet at the Potlekkertjie 4X4 road is great and worth visiting. You must book beforehand at the Park (reception).

But come and have a look yourself :thumbs_up:

Leana

Guru
Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:30 pm Unread post
MJ wrote
i have to congratulate the friends on that side of the country on the job well done.:clap:

Thanks friend Martie :D I'll pass your compliments on.

Leanawel wrote
Can't help you on the 4X4=roads, but heard that the overnight chalet at the Potlekkertjie 4X4 road is great and worth visiting. You must book beforehand at the Park (reception).Leana

Leana, that's the Embizweni Cottage you are talking about which is on the Nuweveld 4x4 loop. It has a wonderful view, sleeps 6 people and is just the place to get away from EVERYTHING! The details of how to make a booking (via the Park reception) are on the Park's Activity page the web.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:46 pm Unread post
:thumbs_up: Thanks Addo Elephant - for that info on Embizweni Cottage and for reminding me that it is on the Nuweveld 4X4 :redface: :redface:

Leana

Guru
Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:03 pm Unread post
No problem Leana, thanks for mentioning the cottage _ I don't think many forumites have discovered it yet :D

Junior Virtual Ranger
Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:59 pm Unread post
I was privileged to see the two lionesses and the 4 cubs shortly after they were released in the park. They made a kill (zebra) in sight from the restaurant. I also had the luck to find rhino on two occasions. We'll be in the park again for 4 nights early May.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:05 am Unread post
[
MJ wrote
The accommodation was outstanding clean and neat. Even the restaurant was extremely friendly, clean and the food was something to look forward to.

MJ that is very good to hear. Our experience of the Karoo National Park was always positive during the few times wthat we have stayed there. We always enjoyed having breakfast in the restaurant. A person gets a sense that everything is well organised and managed and that the facilities are maintained very well and in our experience during each visit that sense was proved to be correct :thumbs_up:.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:35 am Unread post
I thought that there was a sort of an agreement not to mention any rhino sightings at any parks, but I do see it cropping up now and again.

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic