SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 14 of 14 [ 210 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Karoo: Info/Advice

Junior Virtual Ranger
Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:57 pm Unread post
Hi Len

Living very near to Karoo Nat Park and I can say is that the Park is very green and full of grass after good rains this summer. Lots of little ones everywhere.

All the roads are in good condition. The lions are not a regular sighting but the Park is so big and not many roads to travel. Buffaloes have been moved to another Park, not sure where. Rhinos are spotted once in a while. Lots of kudu, gemsbuck and other game will keep you busy. There is a very beautiful and shaded picnicspot on the Klipspringer road.

Can't help you on the 4X4=roads, but heard that the overnight chalet at the Potlekkertjie 4X4 road is great and worth visiting. You must book beforehand at the Park (reception).

But come and have a look yourself :thumbs_up:

Leana
Last post

Re: What's up at Karoo National Park ?

Guru
Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:30 pm Unread post
MJ wrote
i have to congratulate the friends on that side of the country on the job well done.:clap:

Thanks friend Martie :D I'll pass your compliments on.

Leanawel wrote
Can't help you on the 4X4=roads, but heard that the overnight chalet at the Potlekkertjie 4X4 road is great and worth visiting. You must book beforehand at the Park (reception).Leana

Leana, that's the Embizweni Cottage you are talking about which is on the Nuweveld 4x4 loop. It has a wonderful view, sleeps 6 people and is just the place to get away from EVERYTHING! The details of how to make a booking (via the Park reception) are on the Park's Activity page the web.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:46 pm Unread post
:thumbs_up: Thanks Addo Elephant - for that info on Embizweni Cottage and for reminding me that it is on the Nuweveld 4X4 :redface: :redface:

Leana

Guru
Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:03 pm Unread post
No problem Leana, thanks for mentioning the cottage _ I don't think many forumites have discovered it yet :D

Junior Virtual Ranger
Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:59 pm Unread post
I was privileged to see the two lionesses and the 4 cubs shortly after they were released in the park. They made a kill (zebra) in sight from the restaurant. I also had the luck to find rhino on two occasions. We'll be in the park again for 4 nights early May.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:05 am Unread post
[
MJ wrote
The accommodation was outstanding clean and neat. Even the restaurant was extremely friendly, clean and the food was something to look forward to.

MJ that is very good to hear. Our experience of the Karoo National Park was always positive during the few times wthat we have stayed there. We always enjoyed having breakfast in the restaurant. A person gets a sense that everything is well organised and managed and that the facilities are maintained very well and in our experience during each visit that sense was proved to be correct :thumbs_up:.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:35 am Unread post
I thought that there was a sort of an agreement not to mention any rhino sightings at any parks, but I do see it cropping up now and again.

Forum Assistant
Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:42 am Unread post
You may mention rhinos just not their location............ :thumbs_up:

Guru
Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:53 pm Unread post
Grantmissy wrote
[MJ that is very good to hear. Our experience of the Karoo National Park was always positive during the few times wthat we have stayed there. We always enjoyed having breakfast in the restaurant. A person gets a sense that everything is well organised and managed and that the facilities are maintained very well and in our experience during each visit that sense was proved to be correct :thumbs_up:.

Thanks for those compliments, Grantmissy. I'll make sure they are passed on to the staff in the Park :D

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:35 pm Unread post
lion queen wrote
You may mention rhinos just not their location............ :thumbs_up:

You don't need to be a Sherlock Holmes to know where the rhino's are located as mentioned in this post. I rather not read about or see picture of rhino's in any post untill poaching has been brought under control.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:00 am Unread post
Are we not pulling the pond from underneath the duck now?

Anybody who goes to Karoo, Mokala or whichever National Park, normally gets a brochure or pamphlet on which all major mammals occurring in the relevant park is mentioned. Thus, it is fairly general knowledge that specific mammals can be found in that park. In Kruger you are even informed in the information booklet where (in which eco-zones) you can find certain mammals.

In Mokala they will not tell you where (in the park) you can find the rhinos. They are not allowed to tell the tourists. But it is mentioned on their pamphlet that both black and white rhinos occur in the park.

And when I am lucky to see one - am I not allowed to share my excitement to other nature lovers too???

I mentioned in a previous post (under another thread) where I have seen rhinos in Karoo. I was asked by Megan Taplin not to mention their location. I removed the location from my post. But practically about everybody (interested in our National Parks) knows that rhinos occur in Karoo.

I wonder what percentage of visitors to the park has seen lions and rhino. Can't you "brag" a little bit if you were one of the few lucky ones?

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Tue May 08, 2012 5:46 pm Unread post
I agree with Stoffel.

We are regulars at Karoo (have been there 4 weeks ago and will be there again within two weeks). Despite being regulars to Karoo, not being Sherlock Homes and taking Stoffel's "rhino information" into account, we have never been privileged to see lion, buffalo or rhino in Karoo !

I therefore cannot see Stoffel's post doing any harm.

Len

Re: Karoo: Info/Advice

Junior Virtual Ranger
Wed May 14, 2014 10:19 am Unread post
Hi all. Has no one anything to report or photos to show of the karoo park. Nothing posted sinceM Dec 2011?

Junior Virtual Ranger
Thu May 22, 2014 9:36 pm Unread post
If you are interested, we are busy with a trip report for Karoo National Park. Hopefully will find it under trip reports.

Guru
Mon May 26, 2014 12:24 pm Unread post
@Wildkyker

The Park's Facebook Group is becoming quite active. Why not join the page and have a look?

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/10453125613/

Regards,
Fayroush Ludick - Regional Communications

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14 [ 210 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic