Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:35 pm Unread post
A full moon is visible all night.

Sorry OWM, The skymaster, was
thinking new moon!!
Last post

Re: BEGINNERS' STARGAZING QUIZ (QM)

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:54 am Unread post
Okay, we've got two opinions so far ... anyone else?

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:25 am Unread post
My guess would be that it is full for the whole night.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:24 pm Unread post
Well, that's three in agreement so far ... any one prefer to take a different view?

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:22 pm Unread post
Logic would say it stays full - as through the night as the earth rotates the moon and sun will stay opposite each other - although from a strictly purist point of view I guess the cycle moves on and so the full moon already begins to wane from the moment it is full at sunset, so it will only appear to be full all night! i.e. strictly speaking full moon only lasts a fleeting moment as it is waxing before that moment and then waning again.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:33 pm Unread post
EJ your'e waxing over waning right out the
big picture!!! May the light 'o the big moon
shine brightly upon you

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:29 am Unread post
Thank you for the participation, HE, Siobain, Joao, and EJ. :clap: :clap:

It is indeed an interesting question and, EJ, you're perfectly correct! :thumbs_up:

To all intents and purposes the naked eye will see the moon as full the entire night of a Full Moon. However, because the change of the moon's phases from one into the other is an ongoing, smooth event - in other words, continuous - the actual point of a true Full Moon will only be at an instant in the night we are observing it. If we could indeed detect small changes in the roundness of the moon's disc with the naked eye, we would notice that the moon will be less round just before and just after exact Full Moon occurs.

However, this is somewhat hair-splitting for most people (and also since most people have hair to split :twisted: ), so we can safely say that the moon is in reality full all night when a Full Moon occurs.

Last edited by onewithnature on Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:41 am Unread post
Since we are going to Kruger for two weeks - :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: - this weekend, I am going to set a set of thoughtful questions for the budding astronomers here to consider while I am away. Please consider, and research if necessary, but don't forget to answer the questions too! :wink:

a) Please explain how the phases of the Moon come about; i.e. why and how do we see one phase of the Moon as full or new or a crescent, and how does it change to the next phase?

b) At New Moon (when the Moon is in full shadow), why does the Moon not block out the Sun completely; also, at Full Moon (when the Moon is fully illuminated by the Sun), why does the Earth not block all sunlight from reaching the Moon?

c) Observing from Earth, it takes the Moon about 29.5 days to complete one full cycle of its phases (say from one Full Moon to the next). However, if we had to see the Moon's phases from outside our solar system, it would take about 27.3 days for a full cycle of its phases to occur! Why is there this discrepancy of over two days difference between the two points of observation?

Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:36 pm Unread post
At least somebody needs to try at least one of the questions before I return. :pray:

Profile  WWW 
Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:03 pm Unread post
You said we had 2 weeks to do our homework.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:53 am Unread post
I am new to this, but just off the cuff I think I know the answer to (c):

The earth is rotating around the sun about every 12 rotations of the moon around the earth. Our perception of a day is relative to our view of the sun, But in fact, because we are rotating around the sun, it is distorting our perception of the rotation of the moon, our rotation is "unwinding" the moon's rotation by about one twelfth of 29.5 days.

I would think it also depends on where outside the solar system you are positioned. Are you in the middle of the Milky Way or in the middle of the universe as we know it? Because the solar system is rotating around the Milky Way galaxy and I assume the Milky Way is rotating around the universe...it's all a matter of relativity...or maybe our entire perception of existence is an illusion?

Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:26 am Unread post
Chacma, Stop aping around!
Do you know this or are you making this up?
:think:

Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:49 pm Unread post
Hi PeterPM,

Just a wild guess to be quite honest, but why don't you join me on the fence and let Onewithnature solve the answer to the music of the orbs and their meaning to our lives back on earth...

I have another question for the forum: my late father-in-law always booked his trips to the KNP so that he spent the three nights leading up to the full moon camped at the fence in Balule. He maintained that the nocturnal animals were at their most active on those three nights, rather than those immediately after the full moon. Is there any scientific basis to this theory, or was it just an old husband's tale?

Profile  WWW 
Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:07 pm Unread post
Interesting Chacma. I can often tell when a full moon is approaching due to tempers among my fellow workers (and mine :redface:) becoming frayed.

Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:03 pm Unread post
LOL: The werewolves of Portsmouth?

Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 62  Next
Page 52 of 62 [ 927 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic