Skip to Content

Cape plants, flowers and trees

Find, identify and discuss the plants of all the SANParks
User avatar
arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 4214
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Cambridge, MA (and home from home in Darling, WC)

Re: Cape plants and flowers

Unread postby arks » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:55 am

Can anyone help with ID of this plant, seen at Cape Point in September 2010?

Image

Image

Image

Many thanks!
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
* * *
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

gladi7
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Cape plants and flowers

Unread postby gladi7 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:22 pm

wanderw wrote:I saw this plant in the Silvermine section of TMNP near the end of July. It was next to the path just above the dam, about 30cm in height.

Image

Would this be a Watsonia Angustifolia?
Your help will be much appreciated. :pray:


Gladiolus bonaespei... endemic to Table Mountain...
"Nature Never Did Betray The Heart That Loved Her"

User avatar
arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 4214
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Cambridge, MA (and home from home in Darling, WC)

Re: Cape plants and flowers

Unread postby arks » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:39 pm

Still hoping :pray:

arks wrote:Can anyone help with ID of this plant, seen at Cape Point in September 2010?

Image

Image

Image

Many thanks!
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
* * *
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

gladi7
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Cape plants and flowers

Unread postby gladi7 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:05 pm

arks wrote:Still hoping :pray:

arks wrote:Can anyone help with ID of this plant, seen at Cape Point in September 2010?

Image

Image

Image

Many thanks!


Hi,

I'm finding it a bit hard to identify the plant from the pictures taken... but my best guess would be Metalasia cephalotes. hope it helps. :P
"Nature Never Did Betray The Heart That Loved Her"

User avatar
arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 4214
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Cambridge, MA (and home from home in Darling, WC)

Re: Cape plants and flowers

Unread postby arks » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:39 pm

gladi7 wrote:
arks wrote:Still hoping :pray:
arks wrote:Can anyone help with ID of this plant, seen at Cape Point in September 2010?

I'm finding it a bit hard to identify the plant from the pictures taken... but my best guess would be Metalasia cephalotes. hope it helps. :P

Thanks VERY much gladi7, it helps lots! :thumbs_up:
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
* * *
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

33Flowers
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Cape plants and flowers

Unread postby 33Flowers » Tue May 03, 2011 2:43 pm

Greetings,
Today is May 3 2011 and I am new to this Forum. I would like to learn to identify the indigenous flowers in the Western Cape, particularly those between and around Table Mountain and the Cape of Good Hope.
Are there any forum members knowledgable in the Cape Flora available to give me some tips as to where to begin?
Thank you.
33Flowers

User avatar
arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 4214
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Cambridge, MA (and home from home in Darling, WC)

Re: Cape plants, flowers and trees

Unread postby arks » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:37 pm

Here are some more flowers/plants that I need ID help with. All seen at Cape Point in early January 2015.

1.
Image

Image

2.
Image

Image

3.
Image

Image

4.
Image

Image

5.
Image

Image

6.
Image

Image

7.
Image

8.
Image
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
* * *
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling


Return to “Plants”