SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]

Is the recording of posts accurate?

Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:49 pm Unread post
Hi Modurators & Forumites,
I am not a number cruncher and am not really worried how many posts I make on the forum. I really enjoy the forum and the various threads but there may be a little problem that may need some attention.
I only post when I have something that I want to say or contribute.
On 10 October 2009 at 10:14pm, under Special Interests: Mammals; I posted under Antelope: Sable. The post number was 55.
Since then I have posted other items but when I read the upsetting & unnecessary post of aqua the other day under Chill Room: Moderators: I felt that I should say something. On 11 February 2010 at 9:52pm I posted my comments. Surprise!!!!!!! the post number is 55.
As I said, I don't worry about post numbers, but thought it strange that after 4 months, my mentioned posts had the same number.
I'm sure aqua's friends the modurators will look into the little problem.
Last post

Re: Is the recording of posts accurate?

Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:54 pm Unread post
Hi Chip,

Will do so - unless you delete a post, or we (mods do) your post count should not drop at all.

That is why we take posts to either file them, or to purge, rather than delete when we clean topics. Your post count should only drop if a post is deleted.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:01 pm Unread post
Chip, can you give me a time frame you noticed your post count to drop - I want to check the logs, but they are very long, so if I at least know I need to look at a certain, it will help.

I see you have made a good number of posts since Oct. You can check your posts left on the forums by going to the link top right of an index page, just under the date.

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:05 pm Unread post
Yes, agree 100% with DB ... just adding further. If we take threads or posts to purge, they will no longer be visible on the Forum. And the "system" will delete them after a few days. But it does not affect your number of posts that is registered. We can purge all your posts, and your count will still be on 56 as it is now.

We do not easily delete posts ... it is too risky. We rather put it in a temporary file, from where it may move on to purge.

See DB posted again in the meanwhile. :wink:

Senior Virtual Ranger
Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:07 pm Unread post
Chip,

I am not one of the mods, but I'll venture a guess here. That post in October. When did you look at the post count? Was it then, or now when you thought something was amiss? If then, something's wrong. If now, nothing's wrong. When you look, your profile will always show your LATEST post count. Thus, should you go back to your very first post on the forum, that will ALSO read 55, or whatever the number is right now.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:49 am Unread post
Bishop 3006 you are a star.

Moderators, I am so sorry for wasting your time. Bishop has nailed the problem on it's head. I didn't know that all my postings, even the previous ones, increase as and when I post something new.

Sorry once again and thanks Bishop for working it out.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:43 am Unread post
Its also worth bearing in mind that the forum package is a major open source application called phpBB. As such, those kinds of problems are quite unlikely to occur.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:51 am Unread post
It's just so great that my little problem was solved so quickly. Two mods immediately got onto it, thanks Dalene and Imberbe and then another forumite, bishop34697245 (or thereabouts) also had it in him to reply and as it happened, managed to solve it.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:18 am Unread post
DinkyBird wrote
You can check your posts left on the forums by going to the link top right of an index page, just under the date.
This link gives me "New Posts" not "My Posts" :doh:

Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:39 am Unread post
Is there not another link next to it grannyb? Perhaps as a mod I can see it while you cannot? I think you need to be logged in to see it.
Alternatively, you can also go to your profile, and there is a link there to all your posts. It is very handy to use if you cannot find a post of yours - perhaps from the mods moving topics, merging etc.

Bishop3006 - gosh thanks, I had not thought of that angle. :clap:

Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:02 pm Unread post
Thanks DB it works from my profile will use that :thumbs_up:

Senior Virtual Ranger
Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:02 pm Unread post
Chip, DB, glad I could be of help. I only know because once, long ago, I had similar wonderment... :tongue:

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic