SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]

lense on a walk

Virtual Ranger
Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:15 pm Unread post
I like to do bush walks when I'm in Kruger but whenever I get close to a walk the same question occurs. What lense should I take with me :hmz: For me there are 4 main options:

1. take the Macro lense
2. take the wide-angle lense for landscape pics
3. take both of them (but the experience shows that I normally don't change the lense during a walk)
4. take no camera at all with me and just enjoy the experiences of the walk

The lense with the good zoom is no option for me because I think it's too heavy and you usually don't get into situations where you really miss it. How do you handle this "problem"?
Last post

Re: lense on a walk

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:15 am Unread post
Easy. I threw out my all too irritating strap that came with the camera. You know, the one that keeps slipping off your shoulder.
Instead I bought myself one of these with the Bryce pocket. (Came as a special, so the pocket was free.)
In that pocket I have an extra card, a spare lighter and my Canon 500D close up lens.
That way I have my 3 kilo setup of 7D with grip and 100-400 comfortably on my back, but ready for anything, and I can still photograph the small things. This works like a charm, in the weekends we often walk for over 5 hours and I almost forget I have a camera on me.

Virtual Ranger
Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:18 pm Unread post
Thank you DuQues for your advice :thumbs_up: Very interesting, especially because I also have a 7D and
100-400 lense :wink:

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:32 pm Unread post
Hi
Thinking outside of the box.
Choosing and changing lenses whilst under pressure is never easy.
Solution:
Consider using one of the better quality bridge cameras with a good zoom from about 18mm to 450mm.
Just a thought
Regards
JDW

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:51 pm Unread post
JDW,
And the latest Canon Bridge, the SX50HS, has an unbelievable zoom range - 24-1200mm !

Virtual Ranger
Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:57 pm Unread post
That's a tough choice. I carry around a 7D with 400mm lens, and there are times when the going is tough, the light is terrible and there is nothing to take pictures of anyway, and i wish the heavy beast away. Then there are days when the malachite kingfisher sits 3m away from you and you think thank goodness i brought the machine with, and you blow the perfect image up on canvas and frame it in your living room, and the beast feels like as a feather.

With a bridge, its a small irritation to carry when there is nothing much to shoot, but when the perfect opportunity comes round, you will wish for 8 fps a 18MP with L glass and kick yourself for forgetting the beast at home.

I think a good option is to bring the beast, plus a light standard to wide prime with a 25mm extension tube for macro. The 50mm f1.8 28mm f2.8 or 40mm f2.8 pancake will do the job for portraits, campfire snaps, flowers, lanscapes and some macro.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 pm Unread post
Adrian
Life is a compromise - its what make it exciting.
How many times have we said - if only I had................
Regards
JDW

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:24 am Unread post
I always carry the 100-400 with me
a little landscape and long tele

Believe the walking pace is not suitable for real landscaping images.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:17 pm Unread post
The Canon 100-400 is the best walk-about lens. If you are a Nikon user the 80-400 or the 200-400 if you can handle the cost and weight.

I walk around with a 7D, 300mm f4 , 1.4TC, and a 055Xprob Manfrotto Tripod with a 498RC2 ball head. so I don’t pack light, but i want the best photos and the compromise would be a sore back and neck. But that’s just an excuse to get the girlfriend to massage me :) works like a dream!!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic