SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]

Photgraphing a total lunar eclipse--suggestions?

Virtual Ranger
Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:51 pm Unread post
First off, I'm a photography novice. I have a very nice point and shoot, which is still a point and shoot. :) It has all sorts of settings and adjustments I can make manually, but I haven't even begun to try and do more than what the camera will do for itself. (It's an Olympus SP-570)

With that said, it looks like North America is going to be in for a fantastic total lunar eclipse tonight, and I was going to haul out my trusty tripod and camera to see if I can capture the moment.

Any suggestions on how to get the most out of my pictures? Should I trust the "nighttime" or "low light" auto-settings on my camera, or is there a manual way that you pro's out there would suggest? Any and all guidance would be appreciated. :cam:
Last post

Re: Photgraphing a total lunar eclipse--suggestions?

Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:01 pm Unread post
Stark im no pro but I would use manual in this case. If you are able to, use a relatively high ISO, about 800 . You will have to use a low shutter speed but start with something like 1/30 or similar (because of the dark portion) and then go higher or lower and definitely use your tripod, this is one of mine.

The moon by oddesy2, on Flickr

Re: Photgraphing a total lunar eclipse--suggestions?

Virtual Ranger
Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:23 pm Unread post
Good info, oddesy. Thank you! :thumbs_up:

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic