SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]

Where have our manners gone.... ???

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:13 am Unread post
Good morning All... Back at the office again, after a very short (it always is, isn't it) trip to the Kruger...

So, firstly let me start this off by complimenting all the staff and Honorary rangers at the Crocodile Bridge gate, as well as Lower Sabie M&B for great service, with a smile. It was an absolute pleasure to get through the gate the first two mornings, with about 50 cars waiting, and what great service received from M&B in LS when we were there on the 1ST for a little brekkies!!! I was suitably impressed, WELL DONE!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

UNFORTUNATELY, with the good, comes the bad, and I am so HAPPY to state, not SANPARKS FAULT at all.
Where have our manners gone ??? :hmz: :hmz:
Firstly, we were in a sighting of 200 plus buff, crossing the road, when one gentleman decided, not to slow down, but simply drive at I guess 20-30km's per hour around us, and then wiggle his way through the crossing buff... Needless to say, it spoils the sighting, as well as mood of the 5 or so cars watching this awesome spectacle.... But I guess it was early morning, so a Lion sighting would be more appropriate for the gentleman in question? Certainly Buff was not on the menu? :wall: :wall: :wall:

On the same road, I had pulled up next to a people carrier, watching a Marshal Eagle feed, leaving ample space for a vehicle to pass, and having an awesome conversation with a true gentleman, who you can see, would probably not make to many more trips to the Kruger due to his age, BUT an absolute wealth of knowledge, and gem of a person, when someone in a HUGE expensive 4X4 decided to HOOT, and get our attention. When I told him there was ample space to pass, he did so, but with a roll of the eyes, and another hoot as he passed to ensure we knew he was upset with him having to break his average speed an slow down.... It not only destroyed my good mood, but the elderly man in question was visibly upset... Why not just pass? :doh: :doh: :doh:

Lastly in a Hyena sighting, many vehicles were watching the sighting all over the road, when another expensive German vehicle approached, and decided Hyena were not for him, and proceeded to hoot and "push" cars, by approaching them bumper to bumper to get out of his way... When he saw this was not working, he drove off the side of the road, and in to bush, disturbing the Hyena and hooting again, spoiling the whole sighting... :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Now I get it, some people want to see the big five etc, and at times it gets hectic at a sighting, but to Hoot and speed through sightings is just wrong? Do we not go to the bush to slow down, and enjoy every creature in it? To relax with friends and family, and to care for what environment we have left? Is it necessary to do like what is mentioned above? When someone waves, is it difficult to wave back? (Just by the way, 3 out of 10 wave back).... Difficult to stop and chat at a sighting? Where has common decency gone? Did our parents not teach us to respect one another and greet or smile at one another?

I am so disappointed, I really thought we had it under control, especially in the park, but I guess not...
Last post

Re: Where have our manners gone.... ???

Junior Virtual Ranger
Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:37 am Unread post
Good morning Inyati.

Glad to hear you had some good experiences in the park, especially at M&B in LS

As for the ‘trolls on wheels’ like we call them, they are the main reason we regretfully no longer visit Kruger during school holiday or any public holiday. That terrible behaviour you’ve experience from them is called entitlement. They believe they are entitled to misbehave, disturb, have right of way, be impatient and generally rude. You will find they 'own' special sightings, they dont share sightings.........and that these trolls have no common courtesy, no decency nor self-respect. Their preferred method of communication is waving the finger, yip that one, and hooting, o and speeding away in their big cars. Siestog it makes them feel special. I pity the trolls, for they spend so much money to visit our lovely parks, but unfortunately it is money not well spent as they don’t get value for money. Their obliviousness robs them of the full delight there is to be found in the parks.

My advice, ignore them and let them carry on trolling. Don’t get involved in altercations as this too is a means of communication in their sad state of being :tongue:

Senior Virtual Ranger
Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:41 am Unread post
Welcome back from Kruger Inyati :D and I agree a trip to the Kruger is always too short :( . I am glad about some of your good Kruger experiences :D

Inyati wrote
complimenting all the staff and Honorary rangers at the Crocodile Bridge gate, as well as Lower Sabie M&B for great service, with a smile
8)

Unfortunately rude :| , ill-mannered :evil: and/or selfish visitors :shock: we will always encounter in the Kruger.

Fortunately the majority of Kruger visitors by far, in my personal experience, still respect their fellow Kruger travelers and the nature and animals.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:46 am Unread post
We always have had the opportunity to go to the park in mid to end January, and again in Early August for the extended trips, and long weekends throughout the year, always out of school holidays... This way we miss the crowds and generally are pretty peaceful... For some reason this year we decided to go through over new year, never ever again... With our little dude growing up, we probably also only have a year or two more of out of school holiday trips, then not sure what we will do... :wall: :wall: :wall:

Junior Virtual Ranger
Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:06 am Unread post
Grantmissy wrote
Fortunately the majority of Kruger visitors by far, in my personal experience, still respect their fellow Kruger travelers and the nature and animals.

This still remain true.

I would like to add that the further South you go the bigger your chances of running into the rude bunch

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:10 pm Unread post
Just to put the other side of the coin too.....sometimes folk do have to get past traffic jams at sightings. Sitting for 20-30mins waiting for cars to move off is not an option if somebody is desperate for a toilet break, feeling sick, or staff needing to get to a meeting/incident/etc. And remember that one such delay might be OK....but there are often more than that.

It is important to be sure that there is space for cars to pass. All too often bridges in particular are totally blocked.

But then it is equally important for the passing cars to slow and move as quietly as possible past the sighting so as not to disturb animals if at all possible. I have moved through a crossing herd of buffalo before now.....slowly and carefully and seen them close ranks behind me and continue to cross as if I had not been there. Perhaps sighting spoiled for a few minutes, but not for long.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:52 pm Unread post
ecojunkie wrote
Just to put the other side of the coin too.....sometimes folk do have to get past traffic jams at sightings. Sitting for 20-30mins waiting for cars to move off is not an option if somebody is desperate for a toilet break, feeling sick, or staff needing to get to a meeting/incident/etc.

I get that, I really do, BUT this was just someone being too bored to care unfortunately... :slap:

ecojunkie wrote
I have moved through a crossing herd of buffalo before now.....slowly and carefully and seen them close ranks behind me and continue to cross as if I had not been there. Perhaps sighting spoiled for a few minutes, but not for long.

Important that you went through slowly and carefully, not keeping your speed up playing dodgems... :thumbs_up:

Virtual Ranger
Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:03 pm Unread post
I have had to take a sick child to the DR and trust me when you have a 8 month vomiting all over your car ect. you don't always feel like being nice to the cars blocking the road. But you still just breath in and out and open your window and ask "Please can you just move over I need to pass" you don't hoot and drive like a maniac.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:10 pm Unread post
ecojunkie wrote
It is important to be sure that there is space for cars to pass. All too often bridges in particular are totally blocked.

But then it is equally important for the passing cars to slow and move as quietly as possible past the sighting so as not to disturb animals if at all possible.

I agree with you 100% on this EJ. Sometimes people tend to block the road. We’ve previously got reprimanded for being a couple of minutes late at a gate because we could pass through a road block. Apparently there was a leopard somewhere in the thicket. Needless to say eventually after waiting for 15min I did flash my light and indicated that I want to pass through, we got through after 5 big 4x4 moved out of the way, not very pleasantly so. But again, I did allow enough time and I did pass quietly.

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:14 pm Unread post
Inyati wrote
Good morning All... Back at the office again, after a very short (it always is, isn't it) trip to the Kruger...

So, firstly let me start this off by complimenting all the staff and Honorary rangers at the Crocodile Bridge gate, as well as Lower Sabie M&B for great service, with a smile. It was an absolute pleasure to get through the gate the first two mornings, with about 50 cars waiting, and what great service received from M&B in LS when we were there on the 1ST for a little brekkies!!! I was suitably impressed, WELL DONE!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:20 pm Unread post
Inyati
Fully agreed with your post
And most vehicles who seemed to be in a awefull lot of hurry seems to be on lionhunt only imo. And have no real idea about what Kruger and nature is all about. Or needed to go the loo :wink:

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:05 am Unread post
Morning Bert,

Yip, I call them vultures... always chasing the next sighting to feed off that, then tell or their friends they spotted the big five in on drive... I guess different strokes...

I just think we run from meeting to meeting and are always busy chasing our tails throughout the year at work, why do it when on a break in the bush? Surely that is when it is time to relax?

Anyway... What can you do except pity them I guess

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic