SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]

Size of pages

Senior Virtual Ranger
Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:58 pm Unread post
Again one of AWB'S absolutely stupid questions and that is the size of a page before it turns over. Now, I have seen topics where the forumites posted something like "I can't wait for the page to turn" in anticipation of the next part of a trip report. But I have seen trip reports where a lot of photos and the written part are crammed into one page. This has the effect that I have to refresh the page up to 3 times to get everything downloaded.

How do one know that the page is full, and who decides that the page is full.

Last edited by Rooies on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last post

Re: Size of pages

Senior Virtual Ranger
Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:59 pm Unread post
I think it is 15posts per page AWB.. :wink:

Senior Virtual Ranger
Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:01 pm Unread post
And also read here :wink: photo sizes

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:05 pm Unread post
AWB, that's due to a completely misunderstood rule.

To keep pages light one has to keep it friendly photowise. All the comments to 'turn the page' are nice, but when we clean up the tripreport we delete them, resulting in....?
Correct, a very heavy page indeed.

The only way that works is the slightly more work way, thumbnails with links to larger versions.
If posted within the rules each photo is around 100-180 KB, while thumbnails are just a few KB.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:20 pm Unread post
DuQues wrote

The only way that works is the slightly more work way, thumbnails with links to larger versions.
If posted within the rules each photo is around 100-180 KB, while thumbnails are just a few KB.

This is where the Mods come in! It would be the case that you make this known to the various TR writers who are or unaware of or too lazy to obey to the rules.

Not because they are rules :wink: but because a lot of people with slow connections never get to see the photos. Even I, at certain times and I have a very fast connection, wait for a pic to show. :twisted:

Senior Virtual Ranger
Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:30 pm Unread post
Thanks for the info. Can't the Mods split the page into more "user friendly" pages?

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:45 pm Unread post
Nope. 15 posts, as Dotty said, is what the page will be at all times. (Well, if there are enough posts.)
So if people post 10 photos per post it'll be 150 photos per page. Or in other words, around 22 MB!

There is a way to read those topics without harming your cap too much though, and with plenty speed: this way.
You choose which photos to look at, and the text of the report is of course easy to read.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:57 pm Unread post
Thanks DuQues for the links :thumbs_up: A bit more work, but worth trying. On second thoughts, I do not want to miss anything so I will still refresh the page if necessary. A trip report without the avatar, smilies and photos will take out the "feeling" of the post.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic