SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Booking/website difficulties.

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:01 am Unread post
The website lists the BG4 as R865, but when making a reservation online, we are being charged R93.75 plus community levy.

Can you help us understand why?
Last post

Re: Pretoriuskop Rest Camp

Senior Virtual Ranger
Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:34 am Unread post
I can't answer your question, and I'm not sure whether you are in SA or overseas, but why don't you phone Pretoria and quote your reservation number? They are very clued up and helpful there.

Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:07 am Unread post
I have played around some, and it appears there is a price increase some time in March. On March 1, it is the lower price. On March 31, it is the higher price. I haven't opened every date to see exactly when in March the price increases.

And I'm in the United States. I have called a couple of times, and maybe I'm not supposed to say this, but there have been language problems. In the US, people wouldn't say I have an accent. Obviously to South Africans, though, I have a strong and perhaps mostly unfamiliar accent. I don't think the people manning the phones get a lot of calls from the United States and thus they have trouble understanding me. I've had to send e-mails to get them to correct things done by phone. So it's either e-mail them or e-mail here. The forum seemed a better avenue for this since others are bound to have the same question.

I agree, though, that they have been nothing but helpful on the phones.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:09 pm Unread post
I have sent you a pm re this problem duncanblizzard.

Profile  WWW 
Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:27 am Unread post
duncanblizzard wrote
I have played around some, and it appears there is a price increase some time in March. On March 1, it is the lower price. On March 31, it is the higher price. I haven't opened every date to see exactly when in March the price increases.

SANParks now operate a low, shoulder and high season price range. This pdf document gives full details for prices to 31st October 2015

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:21 am Unread post
Thank you for the information.

It's too bad SANParks is further complicating the system. I know this forum is full of people who live and breathe Kruger, and something like this doesn't add confusion to a system they already know so well. For those of us new to safaris and self drive and Kruger, etc., it just adds a new layer of complexity that we have to figure out. This isn't at all obvious when booking reservations although I'm sure it's documented somewhere. It really is hard for a newbie to find everything on the SANParks site. I often wander aimlessly before I find something -- and run across things I'd never found before. And I've spent a lot of time trying to read everything.

Profile  WWW 
Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:39 am Unread post
It's brought SANParks into line with the rest of the industry, and its allowing them to maximise assets. If they hadn't done it then they would have been accused in some quarters for being lax.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:02 pm Unread post
I think, however, that although the system works better for SANParks, it is not always easy for overseas visitors to use/understand and if they try to phone from overseas to sort out misunderstandings, there are often communication problems that we don"t experience. SANParks should probably take cognizance of this and perhaps include a questionnaire with overseas visitors' reservation forms that would help them (SANParks) to refine the system so that it works better for both parties. We all want happy tourists who really enjoy the experience.

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:59 pm Unread post
And I believe that in a recent poll 97% of the respondents were happy with the website.

I know it can take a while in the beginning to find all the info but generally I think its user friendly.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:03 pm Unread post
Lepardfan wrote
I totally agree with you salamanda, but if you download the tariffs pdf format for sanparks, it makes sense on the fees charged between low and high season.

Low and high seasons are charged all over the world, that is how I see it

Sure Lepardfan, and I don't think that the seasonal change of fee is the real point at issue. I'm not trying to criticise SANParks; I think they do an amazing job when you consider the number of people booking all through the year. I just feel that it would probably be a good thing if they took cognizance of their overseas customers' comments and used them to build an even more user-friendly system.

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:15 pm Unread post
>>>>but if you download the tariffs pdf format for sanparks.....

You're assuming we even know where the tariffs pdf is. I've spent dozens of hours on the SANParks site, and I couldn't tell you where it is. I've also obviously missed the fact that there are seasonal price differences.

Let me walk you through how I typically make reservations for South Africa. On normal sites, they have a matrix of costs and availability by date. You scroll through a calendar, find your date, and see the price separately for each type of accommodation. Some charge more on weekends than weekdays, but this is obvious as you evaluate dates and options. It allows you to plan and budget what you'll be paying before you make a choice and try to book.

Let me walk you through how I typically make reservations for Kruger (the only SA National Park I've used for accommodations). I go into Kruger and pick my camp (say Lower Sabie). There is a matrix with the types of accommodations and their "base rate." Then there are columns for prices based on the number of people in the accommodation. There is no indication whatsoever that this base rate is a changing rate based on your date unlike most reservation systems. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I assume that will be my rate regardless of when I book because there is no indication whatsoever that it will be otherwise.

I then check availability and plan my trip (including budget). It's only once I book the accommodation that I learn the price isn't the base rate they advertised. At this point my plan is done and has to be re-done to accommodate the higher prices or the accommodations re-planned to meet my budget.

SANParks could make the site more user friendly by just adding two words in the heading to indicate the rates might change. For example under "base rate" in the heading they could say "low season." Then I know there is a low and high season and probably different prices and I know to look for price differentials. They could even put an asterisk next to "low season" and below include a link to the document with the seasonal price differentials to make it even more user friendly.

There are at least a dozen other ways they could indicate that there are seasonal price differentials in places that they only list the low season price.

>>>>I know it can take a while in the beginning to find all the info but generally I think its user friendly.

It is not user friendly for a newbie who doesn't understand South Africa, safaris, self drive, etc. I can tell you that a large percentage of Americans don't tackle the self-drive portion of Kruger for good reason. Many people told me I had to work through a travel agent because it's such a mess to do yourself. I am more persistent than most, and I find it to be very frustrating to get correct information.

And although the people on the phone are very nice, there is a big cultural divide and a big language divide that reduces the value of that avenue for us. Of course cost and time zone difference can also be challenge limiting the number of calls overseas visitors make.

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:20 pm Unread post
salamanda wrote
I wonder how many of those respondents were from overseas? I think the majority of us South Africans are very happy with the website but we should be listening to those that are not . . . .

Sal, the percentage Elsa gave is from feedback options available to all users of the website.

At the bottom of many of the pages is the following:
ImageCapture by dinkybird, on Flickr

Selecting one the the options takes one to a feedback form that goes to the webmasters and from where feedback stats are drawn.

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:48 pm Unread post
Hi duncanblizzard

I am going to try and assist you where I can, and to make easier reading, will spit the replies into separate posts. We will also split this discussion to a different topic, but will PM you the link.
duncanblizzard wrote
>>>>but if you download the tariffs pdf format for sanparks.....

You're assuming we even know where the tariffs pdf is. I've spent dozens of hours on the SANParks site, and I couldn't tell you where it is. I've also obviously missed the fact that there are seasonal price differences.

If you look at the top menu bar of the website, accessible from any page you have open, you will see the Reservations tab, you will find all the info you need from that tab. Under 'tariffs' are the links to the comprehensive pdf tariff downloads:

ImageCapture2 by dinkybird, on Flickr

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:54 pm Unread post
duncanblizzard wrote
Let me walk you through how I typically make reservations for Kruger (the only SA National Park I've used for accommodations). I go into Kruger and pick my camp (say Lower Sabie). There is a matrix with the types of accommodations and their "base rate." Then there are columns for prices based on the number of people in the accommodation. There is no indication whatsoever that this base rate is a changing rate based on your date unlike most reservation systems. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I assume that will be my rate regardless of when I book because there is no indication whatsoever that it will be otherwise.

If you look just above the matrix with the types of accommodation, there is a 'Please note' which states the prices are the current prices and there is a link to the tariffs pdf there too.

ImageCapture1 by dinkybird, on Flickr

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:04 pm Unread post
Hi again duncanblizzard

Have you considered using Online Bookings? You will then be in full control of your booking, and can see the pricing as you make the reservations. There is a 5% discount for Online Bookings, but you do need to pay in full with a credit card when making the booking. There are some useful tuts here

We will forward your comments here regarding more clarity on the prices to the webmasters.

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic