Moderator: Crested Val

Mads
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Gauteng, Rietvlei Meet September 2010

Unread postby Mads » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Shi! We hope to see you there.... :pray:

Thanks WendyA and MM!

I have the whole day available... I am not sure if there are some of the Mites that would like to make it a day visit to Rietvlei.

This is a suggestion:That means we go in with our own cars (maybe we can share a few cars) early morning, do some birding, wildlife and photographic moments... (the buff is normally out early morning) then go and have brunch....and kuier, after brunch we can maybe do a lion camp tour (R40pp), and then we can braai and do the night drive.

For those that cannot make the whole day how does that sound?? :hmz:

The lion tour is just an idee and can move... or be removed... or some can do it and others can go for a drive... It is the best is to do it first thing in the morning or last thing in the afternoon... other wise they do what lions do best..... :doh:

Every thing is flexible and let me know... what are your ideas... :thumbs_up:
"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree." Martin Luther

Vlakvarkvrou
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Vlakvarkvrou » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Hi Mads and all the other forumites,
My daughters and I are open the whole day and will fall in with the arrangements. It is true that the best time to see the buffalo is fairly early. Sometimes if you are lucky and near their territory, you can enjoy them in the afternoon as well.
Regards

Mads
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mads » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi there!!

It seems less than 2 weeks away from our meet!! Things are finally coming together! :mrgreen:

Any one is more to welcome to join, even if you just pitch up!! :thumbs_up: Kathy SA you are more than welcome!

Chirinda it seems that there are a few of our mad people that will start the morning at 05:30. :huh: Then we will have brunch together at 11:00 at the picnic area. Then we will kuier and by 16:00 we will pack up and move to the lapa for those that booked the night drive... So the day is really flexible...

It seems that most people would like to bring their own side dishes for the braai and also for the brunch.

If you feel like bringing more than for yourself... you are welcome! We will make a table for those extras...

I am looking forward to see you all!! :cam:
"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree." Martin Luther

JenB
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Unread postby JenB » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:56 am

Hi all ye meeters and greeters!
It was great meeting you all! :dance: Sorry about the ones we missed but duty was calling loudly all day.

Thanx Mads for arranging things so well, you are truly a :littleangel: ! Another thanx to the guides on "our" vehicle! :clap:
Beeeeg thanx to Tskududu and co who made sure we returned to a lovely warm fire after the drive! :clap:

Thanx to MM and her wish list! :dance:
We saw cheetah, serval, porcupine, many rabbits and many jackals. :D
So there.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: are in order! :lol:

Last but not least: Thanx to everyone for making this meet, particularly all the newer members! It was great putting a face behind a name. :thumbs_up:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Flutterby
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Flutterby » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:47 am

Hi everyone, it was a great day - although it look's like we should have stayed for the night drive!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: We searched for those cheetah all monrning! :roll:

Thanks to Pantera Leo for thinking of this, and Mads for organising eveything - it was great to meet you guys! :thumbs_up: Mads took us on a morning drive to the Lion enclosure,and then tried to find the cheetah for us, but found a Husky dog instead!!! :shock: No jokes!! :lol: She also got the adrenaline going by provoking (not sure if it was intentional :hmz:) a charge by a grumpy mommy rhino & her calf!! Thanks Mads!! :| Thanks also to BokkieBird for the use of her sleeping bag for my dad - it was freezing! Who said it was going to be a beautifully sunny day? :huh:

Pics coming up soon.
"I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security. Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad. Otherwise what is there to defend?"

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Bushmom
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bushmom » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:14 am

Thank you for a wonderful time! We arrived late, had a bit of a drive round, went to the lapa, met everybody and then had THE DRIVE! :clap: :dance: :clap: A drive like that would be awesome anywhere, but to experience it with city lights around you, made it even more special!
Now I can at least put names to some faces and know what exceptional people forumites really are!
Once again a big thank you to everybody concerned with the arrangements, especially you, Mads!
The world is truly round and seems to start and end with those we love...
Nelson Mandela
December '12????
1-6 May '13

Vlakvarkvrou
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Vlakvarkvrou » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:38 am

Hi All that I met yesterday, not really knowing anybody personally before, it was really wonderfull to be accepted so completely in the group!!! And afterwards to be able to put faces to the names on the forum. The only bad thing was the day that "flew by" so quickly.

Thanks Mads for all the organizing everything and made sure that we were entained on all the different drives, at the lapa, etc. Pantera Leo - thanks for thinking about this. It was also nice to meet you young man!!!

Thanks for the rest of my fellow forumites - I really hope to see al off you again soon.

Warm regards

Flutterby
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Flutterby » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:02 pm

Some more pics.

Mads at the lion enclosure

WendyA, Valkvarkvrou, my Dad

Bokkiebird & Bush Brat

Holigan & Bush Brat with Mads at the back

Mads & Mellory
"I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security. Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad. Otherwise what is there to defend?"

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:24 pm

I am back with some very sore legs. I did a run at the zoo this morning.

Firstly a very big thank you to Panthera Leo for his organising. My only sadness and it is a big sadness, is that I missed you. :cry: :cry: I was stuck on the Ben Schoeman at Allandale for almost 2 hours. I cannot express what a disappointment that was. I will have to travel for a Bloemfontein meet to make up. :thumbs_up:

Because of the traffic jam, there was another delay trying to find a shop en route selling Panado for the subsequent migraine. :shock:

Another thank you is to Mads :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
What a star. Mads, you made us all feel so at home. I loved the night drive and thank you soooooooo much for arranging the Cheetah, Serval.. I knew you could, and Porcupine. The first time I have seen Porcupine.

Next time see if you can find us a Puffie to go with the Serval :wink:

I was also soooo grateful for the Reedbuck, Eland, Hartebeest, Zebbies, Jackal... lots of Jackal, Steenbokkies, Duikertjies, all 700 Blesbok, Springbok.. Springbok spinging nogal... and the many, many flying dinguses.. we even had barking dogs 8)

Thank you also for organising the most perfect moon with Venus, or was it Saturn :hmz: rising.

I loved seeing all the old faces... figuratively old, of course.. and how wonderful to see some new mites join with such enthusiasm.

Lovely to see Sue again and hear about how her life is going.

I am just sorry that I arrived as many were leaving. :(
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Mellory
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mellory » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:36 pm

We got off to a rather cold over cast start and were rewarded with a herd of buffalo and a very very tiny calf they appear to be a lot smallet than the KNP buffs and their horns are also thinner and pointier my daughter says they are probably forest buffs?

We also saw the Rhino mom dad and calf my sister who came with us cried bitterly to see them dehorned it is very distressing to see but we know it is for their safety terrible that the poaching that is so rife has resulted in us having to resort to these measures to protect them!!!

gerharddb
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby gerharddb » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:09 pm

Afternoon Everyone :yaya:

Well what more can I add?? Nada(nothing)!! Mads you are a superstar!! Thanks for all the effort and work!

Then I would like to make a proposal... that Mads and I discussed on the phone this morning...

Why not make this an annual meet...with a few "fun" activities to go with that.

This is what we thought... and if it sounds stupid or as if it wont work.. please comment?

As there were allot of people, and next year I believe there will be more, devide the whole bunch into groups of say 4 or 5 people in a group. Then these groups must go and compete against the other groups in the tasks and challenges that is set and handed out to them... like finding the most species of birds( with photos), grass species, animals, trees ect.... Rietvlei has so much to offer actually!

Then we can even put bets on and combine this as a fundraiser.. like R10 per birds specie correctly identified with photos, R1000 for the cheetah, the brown hyena that Mads( and I believe Johan N) got last night, R500 for the Serval or Caracal(spelling :redface: ) ect.... do you catch my tune? I think it will be a great way of spending a great day in the "plastic bush" as Mads refer to it... :lol: :lol:

There WILL be prizes given to each team and then the overall winners. Thats almost sorted! SO all we need now is your views and opinions? :D

And then after that a nice and big braai to top it of with some good food and even better friends!
Ratpack Member.

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!

steamtrainfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby steamtrainfan » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:38 pm

Just like anything to do with trains I am a little late in getting in on the action. Mads I think that you are amazing. Thank you so much for doing all the arranging and making me feel so at home. I hope that the fire did not affect the lions enclosure as in true dedication you went off to check on the lions to ensure they were safe instead of sitting around a nice warm fire. Such true dedication is very rare. In fact , thanks so much to all the other forumites that were there. What an amazing experience and group of people. Jen B, Sparks, Meandering Mouse, Ndloti, Sue Marie ( I think), Gerhard, JohanN, WendyA, Vlakvarkvrou and all the others whose names I have regretably forgotten already. Please forgive me. Also a big thank you to our 2 guides who were very friendly and kept the chatter going (not the teeth, they did this on their own) and always answering questions. I am still totally flabbergasted at the night drive. Handrie, your eyesight is fantastic. Many folk have already told you what we saw. My big plus was out of two cheetah in that whole reserve we see one of them and also crossing the road right in front of us nogal. Thanks once again everybody.
Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.

jungle jenny

Unread postby jungle jenny » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:37 pm

Thank you Mads for a wonderful event yesterday. As I am a fairly new member it was nice to meet the people behind the user names.

MM I just loved your chair!!!! If you don't mind...... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: .

I should have stayed longer!!!!!
Last edited by jungle jenny on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jungle jenny

Unread postby jungle jenny » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:51 pm

jungle jenny

Unread postby jungle jenny » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:17 pm

vvImage

Return to “Meets & Greets ”