SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

When last were you stung by a bee?

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:01 am Unread post
I got the threecheeses stung out of me yesterday as I cleared some leaves from the pool weir. Amongst the leaves were mister stripey with his stinger laying up in ambush cleverly camouflaged as a white "stinkhout" twig.

I kinda forgot how sore the sting was and that made me think, when last was I stung by a bee...? :hmz:

10 years ago perhaps? I dunno, I can't remember, I usually got stung on the foot whilst drinking water from some or other school sports field tap... and then I also realized that the big bee swarms are no more as evident as what they used to be way back when I was in school. I remember during a cricket or rugby game how we had to hit the floor as a big buzzing cloud came flying over head.

What happened to our bees? I read that they are in danger of becoming extinct. Why?

One thing I do love about a bee sting is that burning itchy feeling a day or two later which one experiences in the affected body part. Hhhhmmmmmmmmmm, it is really lekka to scratch that pain away. :lol: :twisted:

Oh and sorry for killing you mister bee! :(
Last post

Re: When last were you stung by a bee?

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:14 am Unread post
wildtuinman wrote
One thing I do love about a bee sting is that burning itchy feeling a day or two later which one experiences in the affected body part. Hhhhmmmmmmmmmm, it is really lekka to scratch that pain away. :lol: :twisted: (

Vier vark steaks, Wtm.... :shock: You enjoy being stung by a bee! :twisted: :lol:

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:45 am Unread post
Only a day or two later. :tongue:

Senior Virtual Ranger
Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:53 am Unread post
The last time I was stung by a bee was some years ago in KTP. Took a sip from a Coke can, and the bee, which was already inside, objected. Bloody sore, and a fat lip to boot :o

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:18 am Unread post
When last were you stung by a bee?

Eh.... Still have to have the first sting....
Guess my vision is 20/20, and I'm careful enough. :lol:

Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:26 am Unread post
My friend's son, 8 years old, is very allergic and has been stung twice recently. Once as we were leaving Afsaal - gave him a Celestamine, which came straight out, with all the ice cream and chips! He came up in welts and was having difficulty breathing - we raced back to Malelane and managed to get him to a doctor. Thank goodness no Ellies en route in the road! He now has to carry the adrenalin injections with him at all times.

BEE SWARMS - some of you may recall me having posted that a bush baby had moved into our barbets nest in the Jacaranda tree. A week ago, we noted not having seen him for a few days and there was the odd bee coming and going from the nest. Suddenly last Sunday afternoon, we were sitting on the verandah checking the nest out, when the bzzzzzzzz got so lound and this huge swarm appeared from nowhere. It has taken over the nest and I am still wondering whether we should leave it "bee", or contact someone to remove it?

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:59 am Unread post
:lol: @ Let it "Bee".

Thanks billyf, you've just reminded me of my second most recent sting. Afsaal 2005. Coke can bee. That was a low blow thou. :evil:

Senior Virtual Ranger
Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:14 am Unread post
My last bee sting was about 7 years ago. I was sitting outside at a pub in Joburg at about 11 at night, when this Christmans Beetle lands on my shoulder, as I pick it up to toss it away it stings me! Turns out it wasnt a beelte.

Problem was that 2 days later my arm starts swelling up. Seems I am starting to get allergic.

Last year I had a bee nest in one of my outbuildings at home. Unfortunately they were at a much used area in the garden and a few times started to get aggro. If they made the entrance at the far side of the buidling, they would not bother anyone, but sadly i hat to get a bee-keeper to relocate them.

One of my funniest sight though. The bee keepers name is Ant, and his Mazda 323 is packed full of flying bees inside, this is how he drives around!

Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:30 am Unread post
got stung on Xmas day! Stood on the poor thing :cry: The first time I've been stung in years and years... and you're right you really do forget how bloody painful it is :big_eyes: the little guys really do pack a punch!

Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:41 am Unread post
Years ago we had a client who had a bee problem, my hubbie, being an aspiring beekeeper in his younger days offered to move them for her. He arrived there during the late afternoon, in my car at the time... a mini. Blue overall tucked into his boots, huge hat with a net he sew up from an old lace curtain tucked into his collar, long leather gloves, he transferred them into the bee box. Then he had to get them into the car, apart from the fact that the box would not fit inside anyway, he put them into the boot leaving the lid down and the box dangerously cantilevering over the back end. Peak traffic through Randburg and off he went, came cruzing down Hendrik Verwoerd, cought the traffic light at Jan Smuts just as it was about to change, chucked the mini back to 3rd, made it without having to do an emergency stop when right in the middle of the intersection the cable holding the boot lid ended it's life. Have you any idea how many pieces a bee box can splinter into if it meets with a tar road at speed? Have you any idea what a bad mood a few thousand bees can get into after they've been shaken around an set free with force??? :lol: :lol:

Profile  WWW 
Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:49 am Unread post
When i was a daring teenager and wanted to remove wild honey from under a bridge near de Vaal river many moons ago. With two friends,
with taped clothes, balaclava (ski-mask) and heaps of guts we went for the golden goodies. But took the bees only a few seconds to chase us running laughing and screaming going for cover. We took a
olympic dive in the river and stayed there till the bees were satisfied that we did have a few lumps.
btw, it was winter

Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:55 am Unread post
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:23 pm Unread post
Lol@Imax!

Lol@Jenb, can't your hubby do it this week again? I have a near perfect view of that intersection from my office?

lol@bert, aaahhh the good old days in the Vaal Triangle.

Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:54 pm Unread post
:lol: Wtm!

'K.... another time he also removed some bees but this time he decided to do it late at night when they were settled in the hive an' all. He got the whole lot without much of a problem, put them in a cardboard box and strapped the box onto the back of his motorbike. Came cruzing home round about midnight when he was pulled over by the police. "What is in the box?" they demanded. "Bees" he said. "Absolute nonsense!" was the reply, "What is in the box??!!". "Bees" he said "If you don't believe me, open it."
They did. :roll: :lol:

Profile  WWW 
Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:03 pm Unread post
Last year my son wanted a famous pancake at Afsaal.
So did the bees.
It was the fastest pancake ever eaten by him
I dashed from table to table. Each time cutting of a piece, stuffing it in his mounth and of to the next free table.
run,cut and stuff.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic