SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]

Cormorant, Crowned

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:03 am Unread post

Good morning all - some help please.

I took this on 24 June at midday near Hermanus. Is it a Crowned Cormorant? (59) (I see no crown!). Roberts says it is "uncommon to rare" and I am always careful about claiming a tick when it could be rare. Maybe I just got lucky? I couldn't get much closer. I base my guess at identification on the reddish eye and reddish facial skin and also the smallish size compared to the other cormorants that were around.

I have just returned from a trip to Kleinmond and have two more birds I that will need help with.
Last post

Re: Identification Help - General Birds

Senior Virtual Ranger
Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:09 am Unread post
It certainly looks like one :thumbs_up: But somebody more clever will turn up and confirm or...... :wink:

Re: Identification Help - General Birds

Profile  WWW 
Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:22 pm Unread post
Its looks suspiciously like that. Im first to admit my eyes play tricks when you have a spot of something you have nbever before seen, and hope its sumink like a creeper or a barbet or diederick's cuckoo...but I think teh culprit is as above...thanx guys.

Also interesting to note its introduced.

Now Im looking for chinese pheasant :)

Identification Help - General Birds

Virtual Ranger
Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:41 pm Unread post
Crowned Cormerant :D The habitat along with where you found it tells me :D aswell as the LITTLE crown towards his beak :D

Cormorant, Crowned

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:33 pm Unread post
The Cormorant, Crowned (Phalacrocorax coronatus) is endemic to the waters of the cold Benguela current of south-west Namibia and south-west South Africa and is the region’s smallest marine cormorant. It has a restricted range along the coastline, usually occurring within one kilometre of the coast. They are listed as Near Threatened with an estimated 3000 breeding pairs.

Crowned Cormorants forage in shallow water, usually less than five metres deep, close to rocky shores and among kelp beds. They feed on bottom living and slow–moving fish as well as crustaceans and molluscs.

Despite spending much time in the water, cormorants do not possess the waterproofing oil of other seabirds and so must spend much time drying their wings.

Cormorants are often easy to see, but they can be quite difficult to approach, usually being very wary of humans. This bird sat amongst the dolosse of the breakwater at Bird Island, Lambert's Bay, making sneaking up on it a bit easier...

I found it difficult to see significant differences between this marine version of the Reed Cormorant and the freshwater bird that it resembles so closely that formerly it was considered to be the same species!

If you look closely the crowned cormorant appears to be generally darker than the reed cormorant, but thank goodness for the habitat preferences of these birds that are never shared and therefore precludes a very difficult ID call, especially at sub-adult age!

Re: Cormorant, Crowned

Senior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:05 am Unread post
Very interesting info JvR!

Johan van Rensburg wrote
I found it difficult to see significant differences between this marine version of the Reed Cormorant and the freshwater bird that it resembles so closely that formerly it was considered to be the same species!

I'm going to have to have another look at what I'd thought were reed cormorants seen along the west coast ..... are you saying that if it looks like a reed cormorant, but it's in a salt water habitat, then it must be a crowned one? :hmz:

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:12 pm Unread post
arks wrote
..... are you saying that if it looks like a reed cormorant, but it's in a salt water habitat, then it must be a crowned one? :hmz:

That is what I understood about the two species... reed cormorant is freshwater only, the other (nearly) saltwater only... I.e. if it is in a saltwater habitat it is NOT a reed cormorant...

Roberts VII lists some differences but these are all, to my mind "in the eye of the beholder"... Maybe one day when I'm bigger...

Senior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:48 am Unread post
Thanks, Johan. Always new birding surprises, hey?!?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic