SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Golden Gate: Where to stay

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:01 am Unread post
Hi, we have not been to Golden Gate in ages and have booked at the Basotho Cultural Village rest camp for the week-end of 7 September (showing our German Exchange student around). We will be travelling with two teenagers (16) and a six year old. The Basotho Rest Camp seems like a fairly recent addition, and beautiful judging by the pictures on the Sanparks website, fairly secluded and with stunning views and lots of game.

I have a few questions : does anyone know how far the rest camp is from Glen Reenen rest Camp- I could not see this on the map or in the info on the website. We would, for the sake of the children, not like to be too far (as in 30 minutes drive) from the natural swimming pool and the hikes which all start at Glen Reenen.

Has anyone on the forum stayed at the Basotho Cultural Village Rest Camp? Would there be any good reason to rather change the booking to Glen Reenen? - I have, however, seen somewhere on the forum that the main road running through there gets rather noisy.

We would prefer peace and quiet and no TV, so we have not considered the Golden Gate Hotel, have to choose between the cultural village and Glen Reenen.

One more question - we assume that the best road from Gauteng would still be the N3 to Harrismith and then the R712 to Golden Gate. Is the R712 still in a good condition- and can we drive it after dark?

Would appreciate any advice.
Last post

Re: Golden Gate :advice on where to stay

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:16 am Unread post
The Basotho village is a very good choice. Guess who is going to be there again in a few months?

It is a way better place than GR, quiet, spacious bungalows. Go for the HK2 bungalows, they are on the edge of the camp, with a view of what I call the Masai-mara.
GR is indeed about a half hours drive, so easily reached.

If you really want peace and quiet you can also opt for the Mountain Retreat. That is a stunning camp, with the best view of all SANParks camps beyond a shadow of doubt.

As a non-saffie I'll leave the roads to someone else, I have no idea. ;)

Check the link in my signature, plenty photos from GGHNP there.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:35 pm Unread post
Thank you DUQues this is just what I needed. We will keep our booking at the Basotho Cultural Village. The Mountain retreat is more expensive and if there is a TV the teenagers will be vegging on the couch:)without noticing the spectacular views. So we have a "house rule" that we try to never go on holiday where there are TV sets because we have that at home :)

We are booked in a HK2 and a HKD4 rondavel.

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:03 pm Unread post
Hi Geckophobe,

I can only agree with Duco, the BCV is a lovely camp!

There is also a walk you can do up the mountain overlooking the village.

Also make some time to visit the Vulture restaurant, the turnoff is to the right as you drive to GR.

Have a great trip! :)

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:28 pm Unread post
JenB wrote
Also make some time to visit the Vulture restaurant, the turnoff is to the right as you drive to GR.

That is also where you will see the Bearded Eagle (Lammergeier). We see it there all the time, unlike some other people. :whistle: :whistle: :lol:

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:11 pm Unread post
:evil:

That was not a Bearded vulture Duco! :twisted:

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:21 pm Unread post
Thanks- and also for sharing the lovely picture. Duco , have so far not been able to access the pics in your link, but will try again. Will definitely follow your advice to go to the vulture restaurant. We only have the week-end, and won't be driving around much, so we'll focus on a few short hikes and admire the scenery. In addition, would it be worth our while to do a tour of the cultural village or is it very touristy?

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:35 pm Unread post
Geckophobe wrote

One more question - we assume that the best road from Gauteng would still be the N3 to Harrismith and then the R712 to Golden Gate. Is the R712 still in a good condition- and can we drive it after dark?

Would appreciate any advice.

Hi Geckophobe,

We normally take that route but alternatively you can turnoff at Warden towards Bethlehem and the approach GG from Clarens.

I've not stayed at the Basotho village before and do not know if one need to book in at Glen Reenen first as in the case of Mountain Retreat or if there is a reception area at the village? If not the route via Bethlehem might be a good alternative.

The park is open 24 hours a day, but the reception might close earlier and arriving late might be a problem. Just check before you leave to find out if they will be open late.

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:02 pm Unread post
Son godin wrote
I've not stayed at the Basotho village before and do not know if one need to book in at Glen Reenen first as in the case of Mountain Retreat or if there is a reception area at the village? If not the route via Bethlehem might be a good alternative.

You can indeed checkin at the village, In fact you might want to have a walk around the building reception is in. It is the shop too, and it has nice homemade stuff.

Did you know I rate Golden Gate as the best park I have visited so far?
Well, only been to Groenkloof, KNP, KTP and Golden Gate so far if I count SANParks parks only, but still.... ;)

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:41 pm Unread post
Wow ,Duques, that's quite a recommendation!
We're looking to stay there next February and can't decide between the village and the Mountain retreat.
Any thoughts would be welcome.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:58 pm Unread post
Mountain retreat!! :dance: :dance:

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:01 pm Unread post
Thanks Jen B. :gflower:
That definite response has made the decision easy.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:09 pm Unread post
You will not regret it, Granjan! :D :thumbs_up:
Imagine, log cabins high up on the mountain, You'll be looking down onto the Maluti Mountains for miles and miles while having your morning coffee. Raptors soaring below eye level...
I need to book too! :twisted:

Duco will be in shortly to tell you that it's the camp with the best view... hang on, he already said it up the page. :lol:

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:17 pm Unread post
Sounds absolutely fabulous. Can't wait AND I've a trip to Kruger in late October too!

How lucky is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance:

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:29 pm Unread post
:shock: Far too lucky! Far too lucky!!

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic