SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]

Dead elephant calf at Harpoor Dam

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:42 pm Unread post
Is there any information about a possible dead elephant calf at Harpoor Dam? We were in Addo on Saturday (22 April) and saw what appeared to be a dead baby with all the adults surrounding it, stroking it, and trying to get it to stand up. We watched for sometime and I couldn't see any movement from the baby - I was just wondering if there was any news as to how it died or for how long it had been there. Was very saddnening seeing the adults trying to move it, even more so was the loud mourning sound of the adult's low rumblings.
Last post

Re: Dead elephant calf at Harpoor Dam

Senior Virtual Ranger
Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:56 am Unread post
Hi Tanith, welcome to the forum :D. What you describe sounds like a very sad sighting indeed :(

Tanith wrote
Was very saddnening seeing the adults trying to move it, even more so was the loud mourning sound of the adult's low rumblings.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:10 pm Unread post
Welcome to the forum Tanith.

I am going to Addo this weekend I will ask.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:26 pm Unread post
Our guide said it got stuck in the mud and couldn't get out. The eles couldn't get it out either. It could have died of exhaustion. The staff pulled the carcass out and left it for the predators.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:47 pm Unread post
Thanks for asking for me! That is a very sad story indeed :(

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:06 pm Unread post
Pleasure. Survival of the fittest - and luckiest.

Mon May 14, 2012 9:19 pm Unread post
We also spent several hours at Hapoor dam on that Saturday. The atmosphere was funereal and I found it a very emotional experience. There were at least a hundred elephants scattered around the koppies and they seemed to take turns to come down and inspect the dead baby and "pay their respects" to the family group standing around the carcass. What also struck me was that none of the youngsters were frolicking in and around the water as they usually do.
Apparently the calf had been lying there since the day before,surrounded by the mourning group.. By 5 pm on Saturday all the ellies had gone and the carcass was lying there. We went back to the dam on Sunday morning. THe carcass was gone --hyenas probably took it -- and not an ellie in sight!
I asked the ladies in the office about the incident but all they said was that the dead calf had been there since Friday. They showed no interest in the incident ---disappointing reaction.
I wonder whether the explanation about the calf having been pulled from the dam is correct. I doubt that the rangers would have taken action with the family group around. It would be nice to have a reply from an Addo ranger.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic