Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Addo leopard

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:31 am Unread post
WarthogB wrote
Bush Baptist wrote
simonB wrote
Addo is great at night, the main waterhole to see the rhino's that come down at around 8-9pm..
Not when I am there :roll:

Morning BB - that is braai time :) I have normally seen them at the waterhole area from about 11 at night and they seem to like the waterhole in front of the safari tents. Ask MN she enjoys standing on the balcony late at night :roll:

Howzit WB, I successfully managed to avoid the rhinos, but not MN.
Last post

Re: night sounds...

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:26 pm Unread post
Bush Baptist wrote
WarthogB wrote
Bush Baptist wrote
simonB wrote
Addo is great at night, the main waterhole to see the rhino's that come down at around 8-9pm..
Not when I am there :roll:

Morning BB - that is braai time :) I have normally seen them at the waterhole area from about 11 at night and they seem to like the waterhole in front of the safari tents. Ask MN she enjoys standing on the balcony late at night :roll:

Howzit WB, I successfully managed to avoid the rhinos, but not MN.

Arn't you lucky BB :tongue: :wink:

Guru
Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:43 am Unread post
Tape recordings of hyena and Jackal are not uncommon....Some of the sounds heard from the main camp at night are used to lure Hyena's for research purposes

simonB, you are making some pretty big assumptions here. I am not sure where you are getting info from, but it is incorrect. The only time recordings are ever used - and this is very, very seldom - is to call up lions to change their collars when they get too tight. This is usually done far away from the main camp, and not very often at all. In fact, it hasn't been done in the last few months.

So, billy the bum, it's very exciting that you heard the leopard, and possibly a hunting leopard too, as well as the hyenas. There definitely is at least one male leopard in the main game area.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:21 pm Unread post
Hi Megan,

Thank you for this - confirmation enough for me to say that I will be seeking him (them?) out during the visit in October. As unlikely as it may be, I'll have my eyes and ears peeled and the camera primed........

Can't wait!

Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:03 pm Unread post
So pleased to hear that there is at least one leopard in the main camp area- great anticipation for next trip. We were in Addo for the day last week, and were chatting about the possibility of seeing a leopard - suggested to my husband that I would "eat my camera" if we ever saw one, so I suppose I should be hopeful that we don't!! Really never believed that there was a possibility, but I do believe Megan!

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:33 pm Unread post
Woo Hoo !! This so exciting...can't wait for Sept. I kive in hope ....

Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:49 pm Unread post
BTW does this leopard have a collar/ tracking device of any sort and when was he last seen? I suppose there are also large areas of the main camp area that are not accessable by us mere mortals!

Re: Leopard in main camp area

Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:49 pm Unread post
Hello everyone, just to add. The advice on visiting the main waterhole is very good, at 20:05 a baby rhino and its mother came to drink. :lol: So would be a good idea if you are staying there, so take a walk down and check it out. The underground hide is also exciting, sitting in the dark waiting for something to pop out... also lets you get closer to the animals.

Guru
Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:18 pm Unread post
Exciting news :dance: a leopard was seen on Sunday night on the guided night drive. It was in the bush next to the tar road, just before the turnoff to Kadouw Lookout.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:39 pm Unread post
Megan, that is the most exciting news ever :dance: :lol: :D - did anyone get a photo? When we were in Addo on Friday of last week someone we met up with from Kenton said her friend had spoken to someone who had seen "lion, lynx and leopard" in the Carol's Rest area, but that they had just missed it :mrgreen: - I was very sceptical about the leopard and actually said to my husband that it was probably a leopard tortoise and that the message had somehow got twisted as it was passed along! Wonderful news - would love to see a photo. :clap:

Guru
Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:29 pm Unread post
sorry, no pics carolynn - the sighting was a very quick one and a bit dark too, being the night drive!

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:53 pm Unread post
Well, as rare and unlikely as it may be, I've got my hopes up to get a sighting mid-October.

Can't WAIT!

Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:34 pm Unread post
Going through for the day tomorrow - will keep my eyes peeled and camera poised!! :cam:

Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:59 pm Unread post
This is so exciting :dance: Thanks for letting us know Megan. I do hope the leopard now takes a liking to showing itself a bit more :lol:

Hyena night time sounds at Addo

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:05 am Unread post
We visited the Park in August and the first night there, the hyena sounds were so loud and definitely sounded like a recording. :cry: It seemed really unnatural. :hmz:

My brother went a week later and the same thing. When he asked at the gate he was told that since there were too many hyenas in the area they were trying to lure some out for research. Or something like that. Now we have a debate between us whether the sounds were real or not. I am hoping for NOT but could somebody put my inquiring mind out of its misery. :sniper:

Or if you had the same experience let me know! :shock:

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic