SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 11 of 11 [ 165 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Karoo: Info/Advice

Profile  ICQ 
Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:22 pm Unread post
Hi there

I was in the karoo park this weekend for the first time. The chalet we stayed in was very nice. We even had our own dstv tv so we could watch the WP thump the Cheetahs.

I must say I did enjoy it a lot. The park is very still and peaceful. You can realy switch off and relax, but for some reason I expected a bit more. I dont know, maybe its because im a regular at the Kruger and kept comparing the two. At karoo we didnt sea much game.

Is there something that is a must when I go back to the Karoo to make my stay a bit more exciting?
Last post

Re: Things to do in Karoo park?

Senior Virtual Ranger
Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:28 pm Unread post
:hmz: ...I'd leave the TV off and do more drives. Sightings are like fishing...you may not get a bite, but if you don't fish, you defiantly won't get a bite...just saying :D

Profile  ICQ 
Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:36 pm Unread post
Lockie,

We only had the tv on for the one rugby match. That was our rule. We never have a tv in a national park.

On saturday we went on a five hour game drive thank you very much...

Junior Virtual Ranger
Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:51 pm Unread post
Nimrod

Come back next month and watch the Kalahari lions teach the local animals a few lessons! And next year we might just have a cheetah or two to spice things up some more....
I have written to them in the past, suggesting a few more roads that are accessible to sedan vehicles. Two options in a park isn't enough for a prolonged stay. Until that happens, most people will just stay over for a night at Karoo NP and spend longer times elsewhere...

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Profile  ICQ 
Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:50 pm Unread post
Thanx Friedrich

I will def go back there. I believe the lions are kept in a boma at this stage? I didnt get to see the lions but i guess the boma isnt for the public to see?

Chow

Junior Virtual Ranger
Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:02 pm Unread post
If I call myself a Kruger fanatic, I should probably also call myself a Karoo maniac. But there's a huge difference between these parks. In Kruger you can expect something exciting everyday. But Karoo is a park to go and find your own inner soul by just indulging yourself into the undeniable silence, tranquility and grandeur of this part of South Africa. Even after the release of lions and cheetahs you will probably find this unique park a rather quite place regarding animal activity versus Kruger or KTP. It is quite a big park (just less than 90 000 ha) with the biggest part in rather barren mountainous area. Being situated in a semi-dessert area the carrying capacity of the park is much, much lower than a park like Kruger - in other words much less game are to be found per square kilometre.

Therefore, my recommendation to first-time visitors is to go to Karoo with the idea of going to find peace in yourself and not expect to see lots of game.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:11 pm Unread post
Thank you, Stoffel!

That is a pretty good summary of what the Karoo is about.
Having said that, what is the difference between Karoo and Kalahari? Same animals, same carrying capacity, same extremes in temperature...
But NO Nossob and Auob riverbed, where animals concentrate in the rainy season! The only serious `river' around here is the Leeu-Gamka, which is mostly more south of the park. The only other `magnet' to attract animals, is the waterholes. So expansion of the park onto the southern plains, plus more roads for sedan vehicles to watering spots will give approximately the same kind of animal viewing experience as the Kalahari in the long run! Hopefully it will always stay quiet and peaceful!
At least it is closer than Kgalagadi!

Friedrich von Hörsten

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:59 pm Unread post
[quote="Stoffel"]. Being situated in a semi-dessert area the carrying capacity of the park is much, much lower than a park like Kruger - in other words much less game are to be found per square kilometre.

Is it wise to introduce lions and maybe cheetahs to the park if the number of animals will dwindle rapidly by the lions chowing its way through the park

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 pm Unread post
More info to be found in this thread, Jonjon.

Addo Elephant wrote here :

There will be 8 lions translocated to Karoo NP - four adults and four cubs. Our policy is going to be to have a very conservative lion carrying capacity and to monitor the effect of lions on the prey population. We will manage the lion population at between 12 and 15 lions until we have evidence that we can carry more lions.

Guru
Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:47 pm Unread post
I agree, Stoffel has summed up Karoo well.

For others reading this topic who may not have been to Karoo National Park, here's what you can do:

Wildlife Viewing and Scenic Drives – Take a drive on Lammerjiesleegte, the Klipspringer Pass or the Potlekkertjie Loop for views of the spectacular scenery and wildlife viewing. Keep an eye out for Cape mountain zebra, black rhino, gemsbok, springbok, eland, kudu, Burchell’s zebra, steenbok, klipspringer, ostrich and Verraux’s eagle.

Fossil Trail – explore this 400-metre trail which is also wheelchair-accessible and learn about the fossils which have been found entombed in the rocks of the Great Karoo landscape. Genuine fossils and petrified wood are on display on this paved trail.

Bossie Trail – wander along the 800-metre long path on a mountain slope where you can learn about the medicinal and cultural uses of the karoo plants. Collect a pamphlet with a key to these fascinating facts from reception before you start the trail. (This walk will be guided after lion introduction).

Pointer Trail - The Pointer Trail offers two route options: one of 4.9 km and the other of 11.4 km, climbing up to a high point with spectacular views over the landscapes of the Park. (this walk will be guided after lion introduction).

Ou Schuur Interpretive Centre – This treasure-trove of information about the history, cultural heritage and ecosystems of the Karoo will keep you entertained for hours and leave you with a greater understanding of the area.

Bulkraal – Situated off the Lammerjiesleegte loop, braai and picnic sites are available here for a lunch or snack stop. You can also take a refreshing dip in the swimming pool.

Bird Hide – the bird hide is situated near reception and overlooks a small wetland and reedbed.

4x4 Trails – The 13km Afsaal loop and 90km Nuweveld loop are available for 4x4ers at no extra cost. You can also stay over at the Embizweni cottage on the Nuweveld trail if you want to "get away from it all".
The 7 km Pienaars Pass trail winds up the steep slopes to join up with the Klipspringer Pass. This trail is technically difficult and caution should be exercised. Only 4x4 vehicles may travel on this trail. Enquire at reception for tariffs. You can also take a trip on the 4x4 trail on a guided game drive.

Night Drives – guided night drives are on offer on the Park’s vehicle. Learn about the fascinating world of nocturnal animals and gaze at the clear starry skies. Enquire at reception for bookings and tariffs.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:01 pm Unread post
What a pity that the Pointer Trail is now a guided walk. Gone are the days when you can walk in the park at your own pace, where you could sit on a rock and just take in the Karroo through all senses now I suppose that we have to pay and maybe there must be a set number of people with some who want to rush and others like me who want to "smell the roses" thats progress I suppose

Re: Karoo: Info/Advice

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:11 pm Unread post
Some pics I took while in Karoo beginning of Nov.

The sky stretches all around one in the Karoo. It leaves one with such a feeling of freedom.
Karoo sky

A very nice picnic area:
Picnic site - Karoo

Picnic site - Karoo

The camping area is really lovely, with birdlife and good views.
Karoo camping area

Junior Virtual Ranger
Wed May 14, 2014 10:19 am Unread post
Hi all. Has no one anything to report or photos to show of the karoo park. Nothing posted sinceM Dec 2011?

Junior Virtual Ranger
Thu May 22, 2014 9:36 pm Unread post
If you are interested, we are busy with a trip report for Karoo National Park. Hopefully will find it under trip reports.

Guru
Mon May 26, 2014 12:24 pm Unread post
@Wildkyker

The Park's Facebook Group is becoming quite active. Why not join the page and have a look?

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/10453125613/

Regards,
Fayroush Ludick - Regional Communications

Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11 [ 165 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic