SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 9 of 11 [ 162 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Karoo: Info/Advice

Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:45 pm Unread post
Hi all and thanks a lot for all the interesting information given. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
This is the first time we will be visiting the park and look forward to it. In the meantime have booked and will be staying there at the end of the month for 3 days. Will give some feedback on my return.
Last post

Re: Karoo NP

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:27 pm Unread post
For those who have not seen the black rhinos in Karoo Nat park yet - uhm, well, here's how they look. Photos taken about 2 km towards the Rooivalle side of the picnic spot on the Potlekkertjie Loop.

Karoo National Park

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:41 pm Unread post
We are going to Karoo National Park at Easter. It will be our first trip there.
We will be camping so which is the best site, and how cold will it be at night time.

Is there a shop and does it stock ice as we don't have a fridge.

Thanks
Deborah

Re: Karoo National Park

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:55 pm Unread post
Hi Deborah !

We will be camping so which is the best site

Haven't camp there yet, so unfortunately I cant comment on which would be the best camp site.

and how cold will it be at night time.

The temp should still be mild to hot during the day but the mornings and evenings could be coldish, so would advice to take some blankets, especially when camping.

Is there a shop and does it stock ice

Yes, there is a shop and they do sell ice, I believe at +- R5 a bag.

Hope above helps.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:23 pm Unread post
I stayed there in February and really enjoyed it. :D The shop is small with basic stuff so it is better to take what you need with you.

Virtual Ranger
Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:35 pm Unread post
We normally stay in a bungalow , but I do believe the camping ground is very nice . This park one of my favourites just for chilling out , listening to the silence . We stayed overnight 10 days ago . In fact we use it as a regular overnight stop between Cape Town and the north when visiting Kruger , at least twice per year . The shop is good , and in any event Beaufort West is only a few kilometrs away , and you can even go into town to have an evening meal , and enter the park again quite late , becasue the gate only closes at 10.00 pm .
Enjoy !

Junior Virtual Ranger
Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:53 pm Unread post
Deborah, Karoo NP is a lovely Park. Have camped there twice. Had a fab time!

Note, given that you are going over the Easter weekend, you might just find that the Park is full and when you get there you might not have the pick of the best camping sites. The majority of the campsites at Karoo NP are situated around the ablution block which makes all the sites quite attractive. When we first camped there, we happened to camp next to an Honorary Ranger (not on duty) who advised us to rather pitch our tent on a grassed area as opposed to the clayish/sandy patches because if it rained, these could become somewhat muddy.

If you want power, make sure that you have a reasonably long lead.

Enjoy!

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:09 pm Unread post
Deborah

One of the best camping spots in South Africa you are planning to visit. In January I had my 40th visit to this wonderful park. It is normally our first and last stop when we travel to Kruger and back. But we also had some longer visits - up to 13 nights over Christmas/New Year 2008/09 and quite a few weeklong visits. I include a few photos:

This is plot No 8 - right opposide the ablution block

Another view of No 8

The kitchen facilities seen from No 8

One of the regular summer visitors under the rally tent during the heat of the day. The very same day I took this photo a young Cape Cobra made itself comfortable under the tortoise.

A view of our camp on No 4 during an earlier holiday

Karoo National Park is magic. I've stayed in the chalets at many occasions, but the camping area is the highlight of a visit to Karoo. Enjoy it.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:06 pm Unread post
:thumbs_up: Lovely pics Stoffel! Makes me want to pack my bags and head up off to Karoo NP!

On our last trip, which was a mini forum meet of sorts, we had 3 zebra come into the camping area in the early hours of the morning to graze - was great to sit in my camping chair at like 4'ish in the morning, cup of coffee in hand and watch them - quite a few of the other campers woke up and also took in this special moment. Magic.

Camping in Karoo NP in June with a baby?

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:13 am Unread post
I want to camp in the Karoo NP in June.
My wife and I have been camping for years, and have camped in cold conditions before.
But my wife isn't to keen on camping in cold conditions with our 6 month old baby daughter.
How cold does it get in the Karoo NP?
Also is there much of a chance of rain in winter or is it more of a summer rainfall area?

Re: Camping in Karoo NP in June with a baby?

Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:57 am Unread post
If rain does fall, it is is summer. There are a lot less wind in winter, in summer the windspeed does set South African records at stages.

Temperatures: FREEZING

I personally would not have taken that risk with a baby.

The chalets are really very nice, why not rather give that a go? I am a seasoned camper myself and have three children that are not yet in school, so i do have a fair idea of your predicament.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:42 pm Unread post
We had a forum minimeet there in June 2008. It was not too cold in the evening, but it got colder and colder as the night wore on. It was quite chilly and uncomfortable by 4h30, but not freezing, I would say single digits.

An electric blanket might do the trick. We took it to Bontebok in August and it took the chill off.

Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:13 pm Unread post
BB, it differs from year to year, we had snow on the mountains there and temperatures of below freezing early July (I think it was 2008?).

I see that Beaufort West has an average minimum in June of 2.6 degrees and an average maximum of 16.8 degrees. I suspect the park is a little colder, being coser to the mountains.

It depends on how early the winter arrives, but in a tent it will be cold in the morning hours. (Colder than I would suggest for a baby.). Maybe the electric blanket is a good idea, but the baby will still need a nappy change, etc.

Who knows, this year there might be a mild June.

First time in Karoo

Sat May 15, 2010 7:11 pm Unread post
Hello there everyone. I will be going to the Karoo NP for the first time. What is the status of the camp with regard to the lion proofing. Will there they be working on the fence while we there, or is it done, or not started yet. We will be there on 3 June

Re: First time in Karoo

Senior Virtual Ranger
Sat May 15, 2010 9:39 pm Unread post
Hi there, LW.

Welcome to the Forums. May you enjoy your 'stay'. :lol: :lol:

Check out this link - there are contact details at the bottom. Perhaps best you contact them directly?

http://www.nomadafricantrust.co.za/karo ... ntrod.html

In any event, I wish you a wonderful stay in a place that is very dear and close to my heart.

See you around soon. :thumbs_up:

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11 [ 162 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic