SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 6 of 7 [ 98 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Addo: Gate & Check in times

Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:24 pm Unread post
I see that the gate at Addo closes at 19:00 - but if we are not staying overnight, what time would we need to exit the park by? Is it 19:00 or as long as we are in by that time can we stay later?

Also, in late December, when will it be too dark to be worthwhile being in the park?

Thanks
Last post

Re: Leaving Addo

Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:55 pm Unread post
The main entrance gate at Addo main camp closes at 10 pm...so reception told me last weekend. The game viewing area gate closes at 6.30 pm. In December you can watch the main camp's water hole until just before 10 pm...and perhaps you can see a few animals hanging out there before they go to bed.

GATE ENTRANCE : TIMES AT ADDO WAY TOO LATE.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:09 pm Unread post
I am trying to find out why Addo's gates open so much later for the public, than for instance, Kruger.
I am a photographer (amateur), who find it so frustrating that the gates only open at 7am, when the sun is already high, and the wonderful early morning light gone! Wonderful photo opportunities are lost due to the loss of early morning light.

Is it true that this is due to Workers' Union pressure, in the Eastern Cape? Surely that is impossible. This is THE MAJOR tourist attraction of this poor Province. Why can the gates not open at 6am, for the general public?. I know the inside gates open earlier for visitors staying the night, but it is really ridiculous that the main gates stay closed until 7am!

Is there ANY way that this can be negotiated?

Re: Addo: Gate & Check in times

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:46 pm Unread post
Hi Megan!
I am an amateur photographer and decided to try and find out why the main gates only open at 7am in summer, for the public. By then the sun is far up and the magic early morning light, which contribute such a lot to a good photograph, is gone. I understand that the opening times of gates in Kruger, is earlier indeed. Is that so, and please can you let me know if something can be done to gain access earlier, for photographers? I know this is a long shot, but I must try!
Regards, and thanks for all the great information you provide here.

Addo : Gate Hours

Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:54 pm Unread post
I was wondering why Addo's main gates are only opening at 07:00 in summer. This is really too late for people who love to take photographs. Also for birdwatchers.

Is there any way that the gates can open at 06:00 in summer for the public? At 7am the sun is already high in the sky and the magic time for taking photo's is all but gone.

Me and my friends are absolutely passionate about Addo, and know that it is our Province's greatest asset.
However, when we get visitors from overseas or anywhere in the country, it is hard to explain that we can only get in at 7am.

We are regular campers, which makes it easier for us, but there are lots of times when we just take people there for the day, which makes it really such a waste of that wonderful time of day.

I understand that in Kruger NP the gates open earlier than in Addo. Why is that, and is there any way one can try and change the opening times to 6am?

I would really appreciate your reply.

Thank you.

Sandra Jansen van Veuren
Port Elizabeth

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:46 pm Unread post
Here is Megan's answer to this problem.

"I know this issue with gate times is one that is close to the hearts of many of the regular visitors and I understand the reasons why you ask for changes.

At present, it is a staffing and budget issue. To open gates earlier and close later means a whole new staff or security guard complement would need to be employed as well as the fact that the right type of people need to be employed. There are all sorts of labour issues pertaining to working hours and times that come into play. Then there is the issue of financial viability. We would need to justify these extra expenses with equal returns on entrance fees. It would not be financially viable to open gates early/late if an extra one or two visitors visited because of this."

There is only one way around this problem...book a campsite or a chalet.

Re: GATE ENTRANCE : TIMES AT ADDO WAY TOO LATE.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:01 pm Unread post
Hi SAJVV

You are not the first person to complain about this!
Addo need to be congratulated on being: with it, cool, far sighted, ingenious, plus a few other adjectives. They have turned a zoo into a world class wildlife destination within a few years!
Think of the lovely new camps, fences coming down (at last) between Matyholweni and the old game section, Spekboom tented camp, and I am sure many more lovely spots that we mostly don't bother to visit in the outback sections of the park...

But somehow they forgot that more tourists love seeing predators walking instead of sleeping in the hot sun !

The excuses:
* It costs too much money to pay somebody to work an extra 2 hours per day...!
* Most tourists want to get back to the shop before it closes, so close the gates earlier...!
* Elephants tend to drink early in the day, and clear off into the bush before sunset...!

Why do photographers REALLY want to be out earlier in Addo?
* Obviously predators are more active in the cooler hours of the day!
* Obviously the light is soft and gentle around sunrise, and gets VERY harsh and ugly later in the day!
* It is VERY frustrating to sit and watch sleepy lions waking up, but 30 minutes BEFORE sunset the gates close, and you have to leave just before the action starts!
* Addo is quite big, and currently only 9 lions roam the park (rest have been removed, females are on contraceptives), so chances of finding them IN the road are rather remote once it gets hot!

Please ask this question a few more times! Maybe somebody will take notice.
I don't mind them limiting DAY VISITORS to slightly later entrance times (same happens in Kruger), but at least let the overnight visitors have the benefits of an early start, especially now that the lions seem to have gravitated down to Matyholweni, which is FAR from the main camp.

Thanks for asking,

God bless,
Friedrich von Hörsten

PS. Hope to be in Addo with a Hi-Ace full of school kids on a photography tour in April, so push them to change times before then!

Location: Germany: 15622 km from Croc Bridge (Google Maps Route); 8783 km direct flight
Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:48 pm Unread post
@ Addo Elephant
I am new here in this forum.
We are arriving for an overnight stay at Addo Matyholweni Restcamp on 10 April 2012.
What are the relevant check-in times?

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:19 am Unread post
Friedrich von Hörsten wrote
Hi-Ace full of school kids on a photography tour in April, so push them to change times before then!

A van full of kids before 7am - really?

On a more serious note I do agree that early is good when it comes to seeing wildlife and taking photos, although the last time we were in Addo I was not there close to gate opening times at any point!

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:57 pm Unread post
Hi Soft Top

Yes, this is a photography tour, and they are always ready for early morning rides, otherwise they miss the bus! We did this in Kgalagadi 2 years ago, and they really don't mind! Otherwise, we do flowers or landscapes alternative years, so they can get up later for the flowers!

We hope to spend 3 nights in Addo this time, and will most likely head down to Matyholweni area at sunrise in the hope of finding the lions down there.... when it warms up, elephant viewing is better at Hapoor etc.

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Re: Addo : Gate Hours

Senior Virtual Ranger
Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:37 pm Unread post
Any answers yet? :hmz:

Re: Addo : Gate Hours

Guru
Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am Unread post
Gates open between 1 hour and 30 minutes earlier for visitors staying inside the Park so that they have an advantage in terms of game viewing over visitors staying outside the Park.

Gate times into camps

Junior Virtual Ranger
Thu May 16, 2013 10:15 pm Unread post
Hi
Can anybody tell me what time the external gates to the camps close. Not the ones into the game viewing area, but the ones leading from the main access roads?

We are staying at Matyholweni and wonder what time we would need to be back in camp if we decide to go out for the day.

Thanks

Re: Gate times into camps

Junior Virtual Ranger
Fri May 17, 2013 7:20 am Unread post
Hi Rookie, I have found the following times on the website. (Hope it helps)

Opening and Closing times for Gates:

The following gates have approximate opening times:

Main Entrance Gate: 07:00 - 19:00
Matyholweni Gate: 07:00 - 16:00

Southern Gate (Addo Heights Gate)

November - March : 06:00 -18:00
April - May: 06:30 - 17:30
June - August: 06:30 - 17:00
September - October: 06:30 - 17:30

Re: Gate times into camps

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Fri May 17, 2013 12:27 pm Unread post
Those are the game viewing area gate times.

I have a hunch the outer Addo gate closes at 22h00. :hmz:

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7 [ 98 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic