SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Augrabies Repairs

Profile  WWW 
Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:18 pm Unread post
Last year, Augrabies Falls opened "part 1" of the new walkway system with concrete-and-wood walkways, three viewing platforms, and new fencing along one of the natural rock platforms in the area of the Main Falls. You can actually see some of the platforms in different photos in the Park's photo gallery. And just last month, Augrabies Falls opened its "part 2" of the walkway system which offers additional concrete-and-wood walkways and another three viewing platforms west of the Main Falls. Two of these viewing platforms offer even more spectacular views of the Falls from afar while the other platforms offers a stunning view of the gorge.

Of course, this walkway system will require maintenance, so it will be closed from time to time. But one thing we're going to try to help alleviate frustration at not being able to use the walkways is to post the walkway status on the Park website. That should help folks avoid getting extremely frustrated when they can't get out to a certain viewing platform to take a picture.

For those who visited Augrabies Falls before the walkways or fencing was erected know how dangerous it could be while viewing the falls. Because of the danger involved, SANParks decided to build walkways with viewing platforms to provide visitors a safer way to view the awesome Falls and gorge. Though some folks may not like the walkways, the safer atmosphere also has other benefits: less erosion along the gorge rim because visitors are now walking on the walkways, providing people who have mobility issues the opportunity to see the Falls, and actually offering better views of the gorge and the Falls on the viewing platforms. So let's hear it for the new walkways!
Last post

Profile  YIM 
Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:19 pm Unread post
Well done sanparks , the walkways are an pleasure to walk on .
Very nice improvement .

Virtual Ranger
Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:00 pm Unread post
Excellent! We'll try out the new walkway in December (if it is not closed for maintenance ).

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:35 pm Unread post
Its great and you can get to all the view points and space enough for everybody .
Will post some pictures when i do my long time overdue report
on this very special place in SA

Re: Augrabies: Walkways

Profile  YIM 
Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:39 pm Unread post
Here's some pics of the walk ways

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:05 pm Unread post
For one moment I thought that a walkway was to be build across to the northern bank of the falls.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:27 pm Unread post
Lovely pix! Thanks, Kalaharikind.

Profile  WWW 
Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 am Unread post
For one moment I thought that a walkway was to be build across to the northern bank of the falls.

I don't think that was ever seriously considered after the last footbridge across the gorge was washed away in 1988. As shown here:

The river is still prone to high levels despite dams and such so the risk is not really worth the cost. This was in 2006.

In any case, the current boardwalk is pretty extensive and making another one on the opposite side would be a bit overkill

Augrabies falls - level

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:17 pm Unread post
Hi there
We are planning to take a trip especially to see the Augrabies Falls. After all the floods up north we figured by mid week next week the falls should be looking spectaclar.
Can anyone confirm this?
Appreciate any feedback or pointers where we can find out levels etc.
Regards
Amber

Re: Augrabies falls - level

Virtual Ranger
Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:54 pm Unread post
Hi Amber,
I don't have an answer for you re the water levels but perhaps your best bet would be to give Augrabies Park a call. I'm sure they will be most helpful.
Have you been there at this time of the year before? If not, a tip would be to take a piece of very fine netting to cover your face. Place it under your cap or hat. You may not look to most attractive but trust me....the 'miggies' can get up your nose and it's not pleasant At least you will be able to view the beautiful falls without waving your hands past your face every split second to clear away the millions of miggies.
Enjoy

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:15 am Unread post
Amber,

I phoned on Monday and they said they are expecting a waterlevel of 9.5m! The lady who told me this said it would be higher than in '96!!! I will be able to confirm this for you on Monday; We are driving the 910km from Pta tomorrow to see Agrabies with high water levels!

Dreamer,

Thanks for the advice on the miggies,

Jaco

Senior Virtual Ranger
Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:49 am Unread post
Please take some pics and post it here Jaco, it will be a spectacular sight.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:55 pm Unread post
Cant wait to see the pics. Im not sure there will be any miggies/blackfly left with that much water in the channel !

Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:39 pm Unread post
Oh Gee!!!!! I"m soooo jealous!! Would love to see the falls at that level, unfortunately can only get there towards the end of April, but maybe with a bit of luck they'll have a few more drops of rain around that time and the levels will be higher than we saw them in September 2007. Does anybody know whether there is normally a higher level around April/May than in September, or is it pretty much the same??

Junior Virtual Ranger
Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:25 pm Unread post
Thanks DuQues ! That channel is very full . Would LOVE to see it!. Not sure its as high yet as it was in the big one but there could still be water on the way.....

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic