SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 6 of 7 [ 93 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Rainfall Augrabies 2010-2011

Guru
Profile  WWW 
Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:14 am Unread post
Just an update, the water level is 7m above normal with dams upstream which have reached their capacity. Water will be let out and the water level expected to rise soon. All people living close to the river as been evacuated.
Last post

Re: Augrabies flooding

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm Unread post
Just rang the call centre in Keimoes as per Dreamer's advice.

As of now, the water is at 7.2 metres above whatever, and was 7.7 metres above, so it is receding.
The bridge at Upington is 14 metres above, so it should be ok.
Water affairs might decide to release more from the Gariep dam but I don't know what effect it will have, or when.
Keimoes & Kakamas bridges are submerged.

From CT end, we should take the R27 and about 11 km north of Kenhardt, turn right onto the (he thinks) R257 to Louisvale, about 70-85 km and then use the R359 to join the N10 near Upington.

I have been looking into changing to another park, but after getting this info, I will stick to the original plan.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:24 pm Unread post
about 11 km north of Kenhardt, turn right onto the (he thinks) R257 to Louisvale,

Yes, that's the road I referred to in another post - it turns off right from the R27, about 11 km north of Kenhardt in a north easterly direction and join up with the R359 again, just past Louisvale. I think it is around 85 kms of gravel but have no idea in what condition it currently is.

Blackie.

Junior Virtual Ranger
Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:50 pm Unread post
Not sure if I am misreading Bush Baptist's route, but I was up at Augrabies 2 weekends ago, and the bridges had just been opened.

On the up trip we went from CT on the N7 via van Rhynsdorp, R27 to Calvinia, then up to Brandvlei, over the bridges at Keimoes and then back over at Kakamas and then to the falls. It took 8H30 and about 850 odd kms.

I wanted to compare the other way via Springbok, which cuts out all of the bridges at Keimoes and Kakamas, so came back to CT on the N14 to Springbok (and it says you can travel at up to 250 kms/hour) and then the N7 all the way home.

It took the same time and very similar kms, BUT it will keep you off the gravel sections, unless of course you want to do the gravel, just because you can

Virtual Ranger
Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:09 pm Unread post
Hi GlynB (if I'm not mistaken you posted some awesome pics of the falls thanks ! )
No, you are not misreading BB's post. Those bridges may just have reopened when you went 2 weeks ago, BUT, they are closed again. Lots more water has come down.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:37 pm Unread post
is there some problems from Upington to TR ?
I have received some pictures of the Upington's bridge... water and road are nearly at the same hight, but it seems it ok for people and cars...

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:44 pm Unread post
I was told that Upington bridge will be open.
Keimoes and Kakamas are again under water. Dreamer is correct.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:50 am Unread post
When we returned from Augrabies, the tar road had just been reopened and from what we could see, and I might be wrong, but it looked to us as if it wasn't the bridge that was so much the problem but the road just before bridge on the Kakamas side.
There was still water lying deep on either side of the road with the date palms and grape vines looking very waterlogged indeed.
The road definitely looked lower than the bridge.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:32 am Unread post
Hello,

Did I get it right that one of the viewing platforms and part of the boardwalk are damaged, not accessible and will be repaired only after the rainy season? Would that be in April?
Further more, I read about the roads to the game viewing area being flooded or having "disappeared". Will these roads be accessible beginning of March or will they need repairs, too, which will be done later?

We think about staying at Augrabies shorter and add a night at KTP as there is not much to do if you cannot use the roads in the park.

Augraubies Guru: I tried to send you a PM, but somehow I cannot get it out (although PMs work with other forumites.......sometimes computers are tricky

Nina

Junior Virtual Ranger
Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:38 pm Unread post
Nina!

Go back to page 9 and 10 of this topic to see the photos and videos I took on 22/23 Jan 2011

There you will see some of the damage, and enjoy the awesome power of the falls, especially the video of the water rushing past the damaged view point.

Guru
Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:57 am Unread post
Good morning forumites
Our system was down for a long period but is working again. Nina and timetraveller I have sent you private messages. The current flow today is 1360 cumecs which is still a good seen, as the normal flow is around 25 cumecs.
Our activities is still closed and and i have also take a weeks leave at this stage I"m keeping myself busy by helping out at the terrain,I"ve spoken to the park manager and according to him assesments on the roads were done on the 16th,as for the falls all repairings should only be done after the rainy season,but i will keep you informed as I wish my activities could also been started.

Guru
Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:08 am Unread post
Good morning all
Just want to inform you that the road towards the game area is open again as well as all activities.

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:27 am Unread post
Can one still get close to the falls?

Guru
Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:09 am Unread post
Hi onewithnature
Yes,you can,there"s 2 platforms, the 1 closest to the falls is damage but the other 1 is still standing which give you a view on the falls.

Guru
Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16 am Unread post
Good morning all
Were inform this morning that it is only the Central section which is open and not the whole park,there is still work to be done on the roads on that side. Activities like drives and hiking trails is open as they are conducted on the Central section.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7 [ 93 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic