SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: RSS is now enabled on the forums
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:23 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

What is RSS?
RSS is a great way to stay up to date with prefered news sources. An RSS feed includes summaries, headlines, and great links to online news stories.
A picture says more than a thousand words, so let's show an example:

As you can see this is a homepage for a yahoo-user, with the fora's latest messages above the Reuters news. (Where else?)
A great way to scan for the latest news and check on the fora as well, especially if you are in a hurry. But you can even get the feed into your mailprogram, like Outlook. Next to your personal folders you simply get a new folder, and in that the newsfeeds from the sites you selected. They do not crowd your normal inbox!

How does it work?
When you click a RSS link or button, you will be directed to the URL address of that feed. You will see XML coding (eXtensible Markup Language). This is natural since you will not be able to view RSS feeds through your browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Oprah, etc.) It simply looks like a lot of code, with bit's of text inbetween.
These socalled feeds are online viewable through RSS Aggreators (also called RSS Readers). There are different ways of viewing them:

Web-based RSS aggregators:
- www.google.com/ig
- my.yahoo.com
- www.pluck.com
- www.newsgator.com
- www.bloglines.com

Desktop RSS aggregators:
(Software, needs to be installed)
- www.awasu.com
- www.bradsoft.com/feeddemon
- www.stevenwood.org/stories/2003/06/08/voxLite.htm

Integrated RSS aggregators
(These integrate with IE or Microsoft Outlook):
- www.newsgator.com
- www.pluck.com
- www.attensa.com/index.php?ys=1
- www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

How to
First of all, you need to know where you can find the feed. Well, that's here: http://www.sanparks.org/forums/rss.php If you want to you can click it to see all that code, but there is no need to. Just copy that adress.

As I can't install software on the machine with Internetconnection I will just give an example for Google. Google has a page which you can personalise: this one. You need to logon, for people that do not have a Gmail account and need an invite just mail me. It looks like this:
The searchfunction is where it always is, your mail is visible (I did hide it for the screenshot) and now we want the SANParks fora to show as well. Click the Add Content button in the top lefthand corner.
Click Create a Section and paste in the feeds adress, here it is again: http://www.sanparks.org/forums/rss.php and hit enter. The section now appears in your page, all you need to do now is click Edit and change the amount of items to 9 if you want to. You can also move the sections you have to other positions.

To find feeds of interest to subscribe to, you can cruise RSS feed-specific search engines such as www.feedster.com.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c