SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Five Aussies go to Kruger

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:58 am Unread post
I had a planned and organised trip to South Africa for October, then I got made redundant (again) so I spent five months overseas, and now is the time to start to write my trip report.

During my last trip report (Three aussie girls go to Kruger) I had a lot of problems with hire cars, this time it was the trains that caused us problems !

It all started as we were trying to leave - Australia started to burn, and it burned the railway between where we live and Sydney where the plane leaves from. So a quick change of plan, borrowed a car and a driver - then they closed the road as well. Luckily this did not last too long and we got through. This was the day before the flight.

Driving though the blue mountains all the smoke....

We spent the first half our of our flight taxi-ing around Sydney airport. The next 13 hours were very boring.

Then we flew straight into this big, black and bumpy cloud sitting right on top of Joburg airport. Two minutes before landing we did an exciting 'abort' and climbed steepy and went around again, all in the middle of a thuinderstorm. Second attempt was beter. We landed in the middle of a power failure !

Last post

Re: Five Aussies go to Kruger

Senior Virtual Ranger
Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:15 am Unread post
Interesting start :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Forum Assistant
Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:35 am Unread post
I do hope the rest of the trip was less "hairy"!!!
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:52 am Unread post
This could be interesting :popcorn:

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:03 am Unread post
:big_eyes: What a start!!!...on board, to see how it will all unfold. :popcorn: :popcorn:

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:01 pm Unread post
Hopefully your trip can only get better. Looking forward to see what the park produced.

Virtual Ranger
Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:13 pm Unread post
I'm intrigued, Dijo!! Africa isn't for sissys, and I hope you had a pilot with a big pair :) Popcorn out :popcorn: and on board for this one.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:43 am Unread post
Thanks for the comments - Africa is definately not for sissys, I often say that they do everything in extremes. If they have a thunderstorm - it will be a big one. If there is a pothole in the road ...... etc. But to someone who lives in a very 'tame' country SA gets your primordial instincts challenged. The biggest predator here is an imported fox.

Now we have got to Johanneburg airport. Customs and emegration all went well, our bags were all accounted for and as we walked out the door one of the group asked 'is that it ?' they were expecting many hours standing in line getting bags checked and questions asked. Picked up hire car with no problems and drove to Bronkhorstspruit. We chose this town to stay in as it is less than an hour from the airport and made for an easy get-away in the morning.

We were on the road at a civilased time the next day, a bit rainy and very overcast following the big storm. We wandered our way east, doing a big shop at Witbank. Then a bit north, then a bit east again. We were glad to see this sign, definately going the right way.

This was our first animal - really not what one expects. (as it is 6 months ago I am sure he has moved on, admin - please delete if inappropiate)

I had explained to my passengers that the game park is not like a David Attenburgh moovie, there are not animals around every corner and you go for hours seeing 'nothing' Seeing this chap so early might have set a precident !

On to Orpen Gate and a painfree sign in - we had bought, at much expence, international Wild Cards.

A short drive to out camp for the first two nights.

We had a four bed and a two bed tent next to each other. Each has a view over the dry river bed.

We sorted our selves out, started a fire, poured the vino and put our feet up to enjoy our first evening.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:09 am Unread post
After we had finished eating, and contemplating the peace, we were visited by this genet. She checked out the braai area then sat in the tree and watched us.

While we were watching her I spotted this other strange animal in the tree, I was lucky enough to spot it again in many other areas.

Enough excitement for the day, off to bed.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:23 am Unread post
It is morning - jet lag has kicked in well and we are up before sunrise, sitting on the deck having coffee, rooibos and rusks, waiting for the sun.

It was a murky and overcast day and rather cool - not at all what we had expected. But out the gate we went and off to the east.

The H7 was still closed from a wash-away so we took the S106. I have lots of photos, but feel that many forumite have seen it all before. Also the murky weather was not good for pictures. But we did see wilderbeest, giraffe, francolin and other birds.

The road corrugations were bad in places -

Our first get-out-spot was Bobbejaanskrans.

We read the sign and admire the elepahnt dung

I don't think some of group realised yet that we were in the cage with the animals.

We stopped at Satara briefly - for the tea drinkers then continued east along the H6.

This zebre posed so nicely - he is worthy for inclusion.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:11 am Unread post
Dijo, great to see you back again. :D

What a dramatic start. :big_eyes: Fire is so scary.

Love your narrative.. again.. and pictures. I so enjoyed your visiting genet and the strange tree hangings. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am right on board.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:17 am Unread post
Dijo,

How 8) to have the Rhino as a first sighting for your guests. :clap: :clap:

Tamboti :mrgreen: my favourite camp. :thumbs_up: Lovely genet. :dance:

:think: Need to visit again as I seem to have missed those "special tree animals." :lol: :lol:

Great scenery shot :thumbs_up:

:popcorn:

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:12 am Unread post
Looking forward to the next episode. Quite an exciting start to the whole journey.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:38 am Unread post
:popcorn: :popcorn:

Forum Assistant
Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:54 am Unread post
Welcome back Dijo! Great start to your trip report! I'm looking forward to read all about this trip too! :clap: :clap:

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic