Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 3 of 203 [ 3039 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 203  Next

Big Tuskers

Senior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:01 pm Unread post
Jose wrote
Arks, Mandleve had a huge tear in his left ear; Tshokwane a much smaller, rounded notch in his right, much like the one visible in the pics you posted. Hence the thought that it could have been Tshokwane. Unfortunately the pics were not that clear.

Thanks for clarifying, Jose. I'm just excited, even almost 21 years later, that I might have seen a famous big tusker. Funny how that can still be thrilling, even in retrospect. It was only my 2nd day in KNP - talk about beginner's luck!
Last post

Magakadzi

Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:56 pm Unread post
Hi everyone!
Thanks for all the news and the great pix and of course, now I will have to spell his name correctly :redface:
I will be in Shingwidzi next year in August, so I hope I get to see him again.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:18 am Unread post
I was lucky enought to see Duke. It was a really special sighting. Where about did you see him cj100?

Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:43 am Unread post
It was on the S28 on my way from croc bridge to Lower Sabie about 5km on the gravel road

:lol:

Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:25 pm Unread post
cj001 wrote
It was on the S28 on my way from croc bridge to Lower Sabie about 5km on the gravel road

:lol:

That is where I saw him in May :dance:

Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:40 pm Unread post
Dinky.....

There was acctualy two eliie him and another one but the other one was a very young bull... but they where very calm.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:43 pm Unread post
cj001 wrote
Dinky.....

There was acctualy two eliie him and another one but the other one was a very young bull... but they where very calm.

There was also a young bull with him in May. Wonder if it was the same one you saw? He has tusks about 70cm long - hope I have guessed that right. Both were feeding on the left side of the road.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:12 pm Unread post
Wild@Heart wrote
Yip ... that looks like Duke ...

Not only looks like da Duke, tis him and one of his Askaris. :D

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:43 am Unread post
I'm glad to see Duke is showing himself again.
He was seen frequently in that area in May/June this year and we managed to miss seeing him a frustrating twice just by turning the wrong way at the right time!! :( :?

Is it "normal" for him to be seen in the company of another ellie, unless it was a female!!

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:08 am Unread post
Elsa wrote
I'm glad to see Duke is showing himself again.
He was seen frequently in that area in May/June this year and we managed to miss seeing him a frustrating twice just by turning the wrong way at the right time!! :( :?

Is it "normal" for him to be seen in the company of another ellie, unless it was a female!!

Old bull will be accompanied by younger ones, named askari's. They will learn from this old bull and in return be his eyes and ears. Duke is way to old to mate and he has somewhat of an problem with those two white pillars that protrudes from his face. :lol:

Senior Virtual Ranger
Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:17 am Unread post
I was wondering if he could still produce semen?? Won't it make sense to artificially fertilise cows with his genes? Surely then the big tuskers would make a return?

I know what I said about elephant overpopulation, but I am curious about this particular bull.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:24 am Unread post
Loams wrote
I was wondering if he could still produce semen?? Won't it make sense to artificially fertilise cows with his genes? Surely then the big tuskers would make a return?

I know what I said about elephant overpopulation, but I am curious about this particular bull.

You believe me, his genes are present in many bulls in that south eastern section of Kruger. He has done his job, let him be.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:35 am Unread post
Fair comment. I hope that when they cull, they take this into consideration. Would hate those magnificent genes to be weakened even in the slightest

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:41 am Unread post
Loams wrote
Fair comment. I hope that when they cull, they take this into consideration. Would hate those magnificent genes to be weakened even in the slightest

As far as I know they mostly cull family groups. Cows and smaller calves. KNP has got some of the biggest tuskers in Africa. There are hordes of good genes in KNP to last a long time.

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:58 am Unread post
Loams wrote
wildtuinman wrote
Loams wrote

As far as I know they mostly cull family groups. Cows and smaller calves. KNP has got some of the biggest tuskers in Africa. There are hordes of good genes in KNP to last a long time.

So why don't I see them???? :shock:

I'm a good citizen... I pay my taxes... Mostly

Now how so? You have never seen the big blokes?

I was fortunate to see Mabarule a year before he passed on. I also saw the Shingwedzi one tusk catankerous eledude and several other monsters ele's with lekka tusks.

You should seriously reconsider stop drinking that champagne at 6:00. :twisted:

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 203  Next
Page 3 of 203 [ 3039 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic