SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 168 of 203 [ 3039 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 203  Next

Big Tuskers

Junior Virtual Ranger
Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:19 pm Unread post
Aat wrote
Please send picture(s) to me so I can give 100% ID.
mail to: tuskers@zeelandnet.nl

Pictures please in large format, so I can look at details and lighten-up the photo.
thanks ahead

ossendryver wrote
14 March
17:00
Huge Tusker
out side Shingwedzi, east gate!
By Janine

Does this one have a name?

Thanks!

Thanks!
Will do.

That is the largest but I'll lighten it up.
Last post

Re: Big Tuskers

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:45 pm Unread post
Thanks for sending pictures.
No doubt anymore, the tusker is Machachule.

At the picture you sent me you can see very well his tusks are growing well... btw tusks of tuskers after they get 40 years or older are growing faster in a relative way.
He is one of the bigger tuskers at the moment with beautiful curved tusks.

ossendryver wrote
14 March
17:00
Huge Tusker
out side Shingwedzi, east gate!
By Janine

Does this one have a name?

Thanks!

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:02 pm Unread post
KwaZulu-Natal seem to have the biggest tuskers in Africa :-

KNP tuskers seem to need quite a few years for their tuskers to grow to the lenths of Natalian tuskers !

LOL :wink: :whistle: :wink: :whistle:

Virtual Ranger
Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:12 pm Unread post
Very nice pics 100ponder :thumbs_up:

Of course , you realise that most ellies in KZN parks are mainly offspring from those that were re-introduced from Kruger in the 1980's and 1990's .

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:01 pm Unread post
But these are from a population that remained from time immemorial in the Maputaland sand veld from the KZN border area with Mozambique up to the Elephant Reserve on the southern outskirts of Maputu bay.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:45 am Unread post
Fascinating and beautiful animals these.

Virtual Ranger
Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:51 pm Unread post
100ponder wrote
But these are from a population that remained from time immemorial in the Maputaland sand veld from the KZN border area with Mozambique up to the Elephant Reserve on the southern outskirts of Maputu bay.

Hmm 100ponder , I suppose it could be so . In 1963/64/65 I visited that area often ( used to go skindiving at Sordwana bay ) , and on rare occasions saw signs of ellie while driving through the area to the coast :) They were the lucky ones that were NOT shot and still roamed free :( .

Senior Virtual Ranger
Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:13 pm Unread post
I have a pic of a youngster that is definitely going to be up there IMHO. The guy with the single tusk is fully grown, oldster. But look at the youngsters tusks, and he is still young. :dance: Both have collars.

100 ponder, those guys are ex Kruger blood IMHO, the guys from Moz was decimated and only about 2 reasonable tuskers was left in Maputoland.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:52 pm Unread post
:clap: Scips!
Already looks impressive....

Junior Virtual Ranger
Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:25 pm Unread post
Hello Scipio and Okie,

There have always been a small population of elephant in the Maputaland sand veldt of Natal - coming and going across the border with Mozambique.

In the late '70s and throughout the '80s Maputaland elephant moved across the Mozambique-Natal border causing a head ache to the then Natal Parks Board as elephant was a protected species but the influx was causing clashes with the sparse human population that area had at the time.

This influx was mainly due to the civil war in Mozambique which negated the luxury of game conservation.

There is no evidence that the entire population of the Elephant Park on the southern outskirts of Maputo Bay disappeared but today there is still a small group of very weary elephant living there. The majority of the elephant having decamped to safer places like the Natal side of the border.
( Interestingly, there is currently a safe corridor being set-up between the Tembe TFP and the elephant reserve to allow the free intermingling of populations.)

Of cause it is possible that during the civil war some elephant might have been scattered into Swaziland and even South Africa, in which case they might very well have found them selves a safe haven in the Southern KNP - Lower Sabi Camp is less than 200 km from Tembe. ( Elephants like Kambaku, Duke and several current tuskers in southern KNP seem to resemble the Maputaland elephant - who knows where they were actually born ? )

But, be it as it may, a lot of conservation orientated groups plus several human rights groups addressed the sudden increase of elephant numbers on the Natal side of the border where elephant-human conflict was escalating.

The end result was a watershed outcome where the local community and conservationists negotiated the formation of TEMBE - benefiting all - a real win-win outcome.

I still remember the "Liaison" meetings with the then Natal Parks Board where Spud Ludbrook gave speeches on the subject of the Maputaland elephant and illustrating their large tusk potential with a slide show.

These elephant were NEVER supplemented from any where. ( Yes, Umfolizi-Hluhluwe, Itala, StLucia etc received KNP over-flow - but Tembe, never.)

Profile  WWW 
Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:32 pm Unread post
News about the tuskers

I made some updates at the tusker site with new and recent pictures of
Machachule, Kaleka and Mpenza.

Mpenza lost his right tusk, probably in nov/dec 2011. Recent pictures of myself and R Brett proves he lost right tusk. The tusker seen on Scipio's picture looks like Mpenza, with just his left curved tusk left.

@Scipio - Nice young promising tusker , you're welcome to send this one to me if you find a minute. :)

Scipio wrote
I have a pic of a youngster that is definitely going to be up there IMHO. The guy with the single tusk is fully grown, oldster. But look at the youngsters tusks, and he is still young. :dance: Both have collars.

100 ponder, those guys are ex Kruger blood IMHO, the guys from Moz was decimated and only about 2 reasonable tuskers was left in Maputoland.

Virtual Ranger
Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:41 pm Unread post
100ponder - thanks for reminder and filling in of details :thumbs_up:

aat - thanks for update - wonder what happened to Mpenza's other tusk :hmz: Glad I have seen and photographed him in all his glory :)

Last edited by okie on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:06 am Unread post
Most of these tuskers take my breath away. We aim to see at least 5 every trip, and, close-up, they are both overpowering and magnificent.

Virtual Ranger
Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:34 pm Unread post
Aat : here is another one for you . I cannot find him on your web-site .

He is huge with very big tusks , collared , and was grazing right in front of Shingwedzi restaurant on Monday morning ( 15th April ) . I will send you more pics directly to your e.mail address .

Virtual Ranger
Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:07 pm Unread post
Could it be one of the STE elephants? Nkombo?

Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 203  Next
Page 168 of 203 [ 3039 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic