SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 2 of 10 [ 147 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Bush Braais & Bush Breakfasts

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:27 pm Unread post
Hi Flaxy. As WeeBirdy said, one of the many highlights of our week in Kruger was the bush breakfast that we had at the N'wanetsi Dam picnic site. I don't think -- others may correct me -- that I could have arranged this through the normal channels of activity reservations. I called Satara Camp directly and got from them the number of their cafeteria manager, Frikki. I then called him directly and asked if he could arrange a b.b. for us. He was very nice and helped us plan just what we wanted. I paid for the breakfast ahead of time at the cafeteria check-out, rather than in the camp main office. So there's obviously an organizational distinction between the two, which is why the reservation needs to be made separately. We left camp at 6am, took our time driving along the S100 and and S41, and arrived at the picnic site at 7.30 to find the immaculately dressed staff waiting for us with a mouth-watering cooked breakfast ready to serve. I had a bowl of granola with fruit and yoghurt, three servings of omelette, various types of sausage, bacon, mushroom, tomato, etc., a quart of fresh-squeezed orange juice, and at least four excellent cups of coffee; but W.B. stuck to the baked goods (she's not called "wee" for nothing), including two croissants, perhaps because she has trouble pronouncing the word correctly. I think the price was something like 280 rand for the two of us, which seemed an amazingly good deal to us, given all the time and effort by the staff. When we finally waddled back to our bakkie -- no dishes to wash! -- we were only able to drive 20mins or so before we wanted to pull over to the side of the road for a short nap. I don't think we ate, or needed to eat, any more food until late in the evening. It all went wonderfully, and as W.B. says, it was a memorable experience.
Last post

Junior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:05 pm Unread post
Our bush braai was arranged with Shinwedzi. It was an excellent experience being in the middle of nowhere surrounded by whatever that was lurking in the dark. They placed brown paperbacks with candles inside, around our area. That really added to the wonderful atmosphere.

Our meal was define and there was enough food to feed the whole of Shinwedzi! :lol:

It was quite an experience to sit down and eat because our table was moving with insects. All types of insects!
So before each byte you had to check the fork first for a creepy crawly. I know we all probably ate more than just our food especially when you take a byte of the mielie pap and it had an unknown crunch to it. ImageI really loved every moment of it. Raw Nature at its best!
We didnt see any animals unfortunately but we did see a Red Roman Spider.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:58 pm Unread post
thanks everyone

re; Satara - they go via one of the firebreak roads, then up the tar road. When we got there - table all laid out, candelight, massive spread of food, wine etc - and we were the only ones doing it! We came back via the tar road also....after jump-starting the night drive truck as the batt had gone flat!

Junior Virtual Ranger
Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:23 am Unread post
Hi

No KNP camp offers the Bush Braais as standard inventory, they all operate the activity on an ad-hoc basis only. Availability depends very much on demand, as often the same vehicle and guide used for the night drive needs to accomodate the bush braai, and this is at the camps discretion. This may expalin why some camps have imposed a minimum number on the activity.

I do know there have been many discussions about this since the new KNP restaurant service provider was appointed a little earlier in the year, and I do remind them to tell me if the status of this activity changes...I will mail them this thread.

Dianne

Guru
Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:23 am Unread post
:D Good day,

Lower Sabie's Reception number is: (013) 735 6056 and the fax: (013) 735 6062.

Berg en Dal: (013) 735 6106 and the fax: (013) 735 6104.

Please contact them, and confirm for the Bush Braais.

Kind regards,

Lourens Botha. :D

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:44 pm Unread post
The Satara bushbraai / breakfast normally takes place at the N'wanetsi picnic site so there are ablution facilities. It should be booked with the camp and then the question of venue can be double checked.

Regards.

René Travers
Marketing Manager
KRUGER NATIONAL PARK

Re: Bush Braais & Bush Breakfasts

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:44 am Unread post
Hi Lisa and others

Although it is not advertised outside the reception area yet, Bush braais are available from Lower Sabie. We have been negociating with SANParks to allow us to host bush braais that operates from Lower Sabie. Lower Sabie had some logistical challenges in the past and there were not really any bush braais booked through them. We also wanted to make it an affordable experience compared to previous rates. We have synergies that allow us to provide a great braai at a lesser cost.
At the moment a sunset drive costs R160 at Lower Sabie. A bush braai combined with a night/sunset drive costs only R310 from Lower Sabie.
The route takes guests along the H4-1 to Nkuhlu. There a fire and beautiful tables await them in the far western corner with lantern and candle lights. The spread is a selection of salads, freshly baked bread, selection of braaied meats, pap & sheba, veggies, potatoes and desserts. We offer a welcome drink and a selection of drinks(alcoholic and other)are available on a cash basis.
Although it is not fenced it is relatively safe as there is an armed guide present.
We have done a trial run with staff from Lower Sabie and some invited guests and it really is a great experience at the right price. We hope that this will become very popular with forumites in particular as they are always clued up on what is hot in the Park.
Please note that this is operated by Outpost Picnics only from Lower Sabie and that all other Bush Braais from other camps are operated by Tree Restaurants at different rates. They have higher set-up costs to be fair.

Warm regards

David

Junior Virtual Ranger
Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:06 am Unread post
Thx leelee

I forgot to mention that we ask for minimum 4 guests. We hope this will democratise and that there will always be a couple of guests. Another point is that SANparks organises the nightdrive part and they could have vehicle limitations ( I hope only in the beginning). To avoid this we advise advanced bookings through Lower Sabie reception. Their number is 013 7356056/7. The person in charge of all activities is guide Irving Knight. If you phone reception for a booking they will give you his personal number to book with him anyway. To save time you can phone him directly on 082 735 7459. He might be out on guided walks so you could also e-mail him at irvingk@sanparks.org.

David

Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:36 pm Unread post
Apologies for "chipping in" . Mopani Restcamp also does bushbraais & breakfasts . We are fortunate to have 2 sights : Nzopforini for groups up to 30 and Mooiplaas Picnic Area is used for larger groups . We require a minimum of 4 persons as well .

I will try and post some photos of Nzopforini .

Re: Bush Braais

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:57 pm Unread post
I tried another tack: I was asked the same Q, I answered 2 people, and was given the same response. No problem, I thought: "Yes, but my girlfriend and I each have split personalities; so that's 2 each, which makes 4 people!"
The guy cracked up and laughed solidly for two minutes. Whereupon, he promptly put our names down on a list - we were at the top. Later, when I popped in, he said that another two couples were coming with, so it would be okay. That time it all worked out fine and we have a fab time indeed!
We understand that profit requires a minimum number of people, but as has been said before on this thread, it would be to the benefit for some camps to make the effort to obtain at least the minumum number of people so that they can make it worth both their whiles and ours. :thumbs_up:

Re: bush braai

Profile  WWW 
Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:13 pm Unread post
I love them and will do another one soon.
It combines the sunset drive, food under the stars and a nightdrive
Both drives are 2 hours

Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:29 pm Unread post
A stupid question - What do they braai?/supply. Is is only red meat (which I don't eat) or can I request chicken or is it a case of eat what we provide or miss out.

Profile  WWW 
Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:38 pm Unread post
You need at least 6 and best to make the arrangements a day before you intend to do the braai
And yes, you can ask for vegetarian and chicken.
Remember, you are the customer

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:27 pm Unread post
Nkulu, hold your protest and toi toi. Spoke to the manager of LS and they do bush braais. There have been changes to the way it was being organised, and its not being currently advertised. Need to book in advance with min 4 people by email.
Not sure about other camps, but its good news out of LS. :dance:

Re: Skukuza Bush Braai

Junior Virtual Ranger
Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:18 pm Unread post
You will be able to confirm by contacting the camp manager of Skukuza quoting your reference numbers and I suggest you do it beforehand. Apparently bush braais are going ahead again now because Fee was able to organise one for us and them at Lower Sabie, but I am afraid their prices are now too steep for us to do it! I am sure one of the mites will have an e-mail address for you as it might be a bit difficult for you to phone.
Enjoy your stay and your bush braai and remember your yellow ribbon.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Page 2 of 10 [ 147 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic