SANParks.org Forums

Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic
Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

PPP Investment Opportunity

Forum Assistant
Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:57 pm Unread post
Here is a chance for all who has ever wished they could be involved with the restaurants and retail in the parks.

Link to the PPP investment opportunities
Last post

Re: PPP Investment Opportunity

Junior Virtual Ranger
Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:38 am Unread post
Very Interesting indeed, The Analysis of Restuarants and Shops in SANParks makes for interesting reading. :hmz:

I wonder if SANParks had ever considered approaching a brand like The Carnivore to run a restuarant in Skukuza. In my opinion it fits in perfectly with the Kruger experience and Overseas guest would love it. Im also pretty sure that the place would be full every night.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with The Carnivore brand just google it. :thumbs_up:

Forum Assistant
Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:52 am Unread post
Even a Spur Steak Ranch would be better than what we've got at the moment!!! :whistle:

I love SANparks (especially Kruger) and try my hardest not to criticise, but the food really leaves a lot to be desired these day!!

IMHO we need a good fast food place, and a good restaurant in each main camp.

The restaurants should produce some traditional South African dishes, as well as the normal range, and also good veggie options.

We have had several nice carveries at Skukuza in recent years, but don't know if they still do them!!

I'm available (free of charge) to advise!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Virtual Ranger
Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:15 am Unread post
This overseas guest would not love The Carnivore if its' name is anything to go by :(

I can only pray that KNP or any other park does not end up with a global brand name franchise monstrosity. If so, goodbye Kruger, hello somewhere else in Southern Africa - you have to draw a line in the sand somewhere.
Hopefully some entity will come along and develop an appropriate model for eating in the parks that everyone can enjoy. :pray:

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:51 pm Unread post
A good and positive read
After all , its from the visitors point of view
A like this parts
SANParks has restaurants operational in the majority of camps in National Parks.
However, feedback from SANParks’ customers has indicated that the dining product
offered in the restaurants and at the take-away facilities is at best “average” and in many
instances “poor”. SANParks is of the view that the introduction of South African
Restaurant Brands through a franchise model will resolve the problems that are currently
experienced at the restaurants ensuring consistency, value for money, product and pricing
options, quality of offering and high service standards. Therefore, the aim of this research
was to determine visitors to South African National Parks’ opinions, needs and
preferences regarding the introduction of brands and franchises in National Parks.

The complaints did get a platform and suggestions are being made.
They will not be everybodies cup of tea but its a healty discussion and the result must be:
ensuring consistency, value for money, product and pricing
options, quality of offering and high service standards

Virtual Ranger
Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:43 am Unread post
Years ago did the restaurants not have consistent value for money and high standard? :hmz:
I will never ever patronise a large franchise - not here in Australia or elsewhere.
This week on another travel forum, advice from one traveller to another was: 'don't bother with Kruger it is like a glorified American zoo with paved roads, cafes and shops....'
I couldn't let that one pass without mounting a defense but I won't defend branded, franchised restaurants in National Parks. For me it is a bridge too far. I fervently hope it won't go that way. :(

Virtual Ranger
Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:02 am Unread post
Branded Franchised restuarants are also not on our list but........if there's no option, what can one do? Are there no talented young chefs in this country who would jump at the chance to showcase their abilities and run their own restuarant - a different chef per camp? ...........just a thought :)

Senior Virtual Ranger
Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:31 am Unread post
threedogs wrote
Years ago did the restaurants not have consistent value for money and high standard? :hmz:
I will never ever patronise a large franchise - not here in Australia or elsewhere.
This week on another travel forum, advice from one traveller to another was: 'don't bother with Kruger it is like a glorified American zoo with paved roads, cafes and shops....'
I couldn't let that one pass without mounting a defense but I won't defend branded, franchised restaurants in National Parks. For me it is a bridge too far. I fervently hope it won't go that way. :(

Value for money, yes. High standards, yes. Profitable? No.

Therein lies the big puzzle, how to achieve that magical balance between commercialization and conservation. We as tourists only ever see the commercialization aspect of SANParks, the roads and tourists and cafes, we do not get to see the conservation side that much, the research and sacrifice rangers/staff make to protect our holidays.

Would you defend a branded restaurant in Kruger if it helps pay for anti-poaching?

Virtual Ranger
Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:41 am Unread post
No. There has to be smarter solutions than that.

Senior Virtual Ranger
Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:59 am Unread post
I wish there was, it is generally excepted that the restaurants in Kruger, whilst wonderful in the "old" (1990's and earlier) days were not profitable in any way. This way SANParks will receive money from the PPP whilst having no expenses as all the expenses will be carried by the contract holder and will pay SANParks an annual fee. Win/win if done properly.

We must also remember, SANParks main aim is not tourism, never was and should never be. However without tourists there would be no income. So you have an organization that is not geared towards an area of business, but that part of the business is the most important area in their financials.

It is like being short and having to compete in the high jump, you will have limitations... :)

Virtual Ranger
Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:08 am Unread post
Yes I understand the conundrum :)

But if Sanparks charge too much (?) to operators which along with other higher costs associated with the unique nature of the location make profitablility only achievable by offering mass produced junk which is not wanted by a large number of clientele (not a majority apparently but a large proportion none the less) then is that a good PPP?

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:24 am Unread post
One of the dilemma's is to have full restaurants in the evenings.
In general south africans braai and make their own potje kos.
So its mostly the foreign visitors attending the dinners.
(except for those like me who also like to braai :wink: )

Been at dinner once during march.
Lower Sabie
No buffet anymore. Only the general lunch/fastfood menu
And a braai buffet.
After asking why they stopped doing the buffet , which i found to be good value for money, the answer was:
Not enough customers
Had the same situation at Pretoriuskop last year.
So something must be done

And please dont kid ourselves.
The general menu in camps for lunch are
burger, fastfood and a few salads.
been like this for many years
So its not so very different from Wimpy, Spurs or other fastfood chains
Except the quality and service does not meet the expected standard

Luckily the picnic sites still have something different as well

So why can a Kruger Wimpy add some specific items to the menu
Like buffalo pies, or a kruger stew.
Sounds reasonable.

But the bottom line is that the restaurants do no earn enough as it is at the moment.

Virtual Ranger
Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:49 am Unread post
It is a bit of a catch-22. If the product and service is below par which it has been a lot of the time in recent months (years?) then repeat visitors won't use it. If less and less people are using the service, the viability isn't there, choices and quality is cut = less punters and so it goes on.

The reasons for lack of profitability need to be identified. The reasons now may be quite different to what they were several years ago.

Are we assuming that a national or international restaurant chain can be profitable because of their purchasing power for ingredients/products making their costs lower? And/or because their business model will ensure a consistent product ( :evil: ) which will bring back more customers?

Junior Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:12 am Unread post
threedogs wrote
This overseas guest would not love The Carnivore if its' name is anything to go by :(

I can only pray that KNP or any other park does not end up with a global brand name franchise monstrosity. If so, goodbye Kruger, hello somewhere else in Southern Africa - you have to draw a line in the sand somewhere.
Hopefully some entity will come along and develop an appropriate model for eating in the parks that everyone can enjoy. :pray:

You are so right. Can you imagine what it would be like?

Take it with a pinch of salt but when you also hear comments like no self drive vehicles in how ever many years time, maybe Mabunda and co can create Africa's largest theme park where one can ride on rollercoasters and throw popcorn at the animals? Anyway I am just joking but sometimes things do seem a bit odd.

What amazes me is the number of people who have tried to start up stuff in the park and have failed. There really must be reasons for this. Are the criteria for those up for the tenders resulting in substandard companies coming in that were always doomed to fail? It sure seems like it.

To me you would think that with SANParks getting in more than a million tourists annually into the KNP and that with decades of experience in the industry they would now have some idea of how to operate restaurants, cafes or shops. Its not like its far away from the big city of Nelspruit thereby giving easy access to anything.

Where are things still going so wrong that its come to this? Why outsource something to people who are going to be taking away all the money that could be going into SANParks and at least Mpumalanga? Why instead of harvesting Mopani worms can the locals not be more heavily involved so that if SANParks doesn't see the profits that at least the neighbouring communities will see more than just salaries of a handful of people earning minimum wage?

Surely this is an opportunity to include outside communities instead of some company from Cape Town or Joburg to reap the rewards? I do like SANParks' out of the box thinking sometimes but when the best opportunities arise to involve these neighbouring communities nothing happens.

Virtual Ranger
Profile  WWW 
Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:41 am Unread post
threedogs wrote
It is a bit of a catch-22. If the product and service is below par which it has been a lot of the time in recent months (years?) then repeat visitors won't use it. If less and less people are using the service, the viability isn't there, choices and quality is cut = less punters and so it goes on.

The reasons for lack of profitability need to be identified. The reasons now may be quite different to what they were several years ago.

Are we assuming that a national or international restaurant chain can be profitable because of their purchasing power for ingredients/products making their costs lower? And/or because their business model will ensure a consistent product ( :evil: ) which will bring back more customers?

i worked for two co,mpanies that went belly up in the park. First natures group (rerstaurants) and recently tshokwane and nkuhlu. When i ran selati, i understood the market and therefore catered for the sa tourist and locals in skuks. I can tell you now that my dear selati was packed every night and i turned a profit. Why? I worked on volumes and not making R300 profit per table. Nkuhlu and ts both turned profit as well, but unforunately staff was stealing most. There is the one or two restaurants in the park that will probably never turn a profit, but i remember in the day, if we had less than 300 seatings in one night in skuks, we had a terrible day. We used to do 8 bushbraais minimum per week. We achieved this because we were charging market related and affordable prices. How many people can truly say they can spend more than R400 pp for a bushbraai today. Obviuosly i cannot compare those prices of yesteryear to today, but we were turning tables. And they were making money untill the to brass became greedy

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]
Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic