In order to keep the SANParks forums fast loading, easy to read and neat, please consider the following:
1. Before you ask a question, please do a search of previous posts (see search button at top of page) to see if it has been answered before. This applies to suggestions for Polls. There are many indexes on the forums to assist with finding information.
2. Choose the forum for your posting carefully! Try to find the most appropriate forum. For example, just because there are more visitors to the Kruger forum, do not post under Kruger if information about Addo is what you are after.
3. Chit-chat is OK - but only in the "Chit-Chat" forum. Please do not waste bandwidth and other members' time with off-topic and meaningless discussions in other forums.
4. Please ensure that a photo is no larger than 150k. Keep the length of the longest side of the photo to 800pix. Get resizing tips - here is an excellent tut
. Filling trip reports with many pictures makes pages slow to open. People with slow connections will not be able to enjoy the report.
5. A large audience will see your post. Unlike the spoken word, your written posts will exist on the forum for a long time.
6. Try to make your post easy to read.
a. In long posts, make sure you write in paragraphs. A dense wall of text is off-putting. Also, use preview to make sure it is correctly formatted especially if you're quoting or including pix.
b. Do not post in illegible colours.
c. If you reply using the quote option, trim all irrelevant text and always remove images from the quote.When quoting from preceding posts which contain images, please avoid copying the images in your quote. You can either provide a link to the image or remove it altogether. This will speed page download.
d. Avoid TYPING IN CAPITALS – this is considered shouting on the internet.
7. Please do not add big pictures or animations to your signature. Pages open slower as a result, and look very ‘busy’. Please consider this when loading an animated avatar.
8. Please do not use Private Messages to get people to post in your topic, to support an idea of yours on the forum or to canvass votes for kudus or awards. The forum rules apply to Private Messages as well. This is considered spam.
9. Please report abusive Private Messages to the moderators.
10. If you need to quote material from an outside source, credit the source. For example, if you post a quote from a news story, you must also include the URL to the story. Quoting a whole article is not only unnecessary; it can also breach copyright laws. Only quote one or two relevant sections that highlight your point.
11. Do not copy articles or any part of a book and post it on the forum. Taking material from someone else and posting it is considered plagiarism if you post it without the author's permission. This also applies to the posting of pictures taken off the internet, out of books or from mass emails.
12. Please do not use another member’s picture for your avatar unless you have their express permission to do so.
13. Please leave it up to the moderators to make requests from other forumites. (resizing pics, posting in a certain manner, adhering to rules etc.) The moderators all have full time day jobs outside the forum and volunteer their time here and you are welcome to contact them via PM should you see another member breaking a rule of the forum.
14. Please note that as per the rules, posts made on these forums become the property of the Forums. This also applies to topics/threads. Members who start a new topic, in other words, the first poster of a topic, do not own, nor have special rights to that specific topic.
The Mod Team