Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The white lions of Kruger
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:58 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

:dance: Saw an article on them in the Kruger Park Times recently! Thank you for the photos! These are true white lions and not albinos! It shows you, the genes are there, in the local population! :dance:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:13 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ex Ranger Fanie Botha has a film and a few photographs of a white Lion taken at Kloppersfontein many years ago. This proves to me that they are/were not restricted to the central western area of KRUGER.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Post subject: Re: White Lion s36 28/10/09
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:04 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Chad, your photos are incredible - thank you SO much for sharing them with us - they are stunning cubs .

Cheers
Gill

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Great pics of an unusual sighting -- thanks :thumbs_up:

My cousin also saw white lion cubs on a private reserve in Timbavati during Dec.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:00 pm 

LOL, yeah liesl, beginning to miss the bush, and only been back in joburg for 2 days!!!

p@m, i am pretty certain that your cousin would have seen these same two cubs, as the only other confirmed white lions in the timbavati are based mostly in uncommercial areas...these two cubs are centred in the area traversed by the three northern private lodges in the timbavati, motswari, kings camp and simbavati river lodge...

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:40 pm 

Hi! about 37 years ago we stayed at Sohebele in the Timbavati, when Derrick and Bev Joubert were runing the establishment!!! What an awesome time we had with very good information all round, and lovely people to supply it!!!! Chris McBride had just written his book "The White Lions of Timbavati", so what a thrill it was for me to see that the strain is continuing- what clever moms they have!!!! Thanks for those lovely p
pics!!!!

All you need is Love - John Lennon

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:52 pm 

Richprins wrote:
Nice pics, guys! :thumbs_up:

Here are the latest whie lion pics from the Lowveld...the cubs appeared end 2009! Notice the blue eyes...so not albino...rather leucistic...

Courtesy of Jan Wilkens, and taken just OUTSIDE Kruger near Leadwood Camp, approximately in line with Timbavati Picnic Site! :clap:

The pics are copyrighted, and I got special permission from Jan...please don't abuse! :thumbs_up:

From here

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Post subject: FYI: white lions
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:04 pm 

quoted from wikipedia....

"The white lion is occasionally found in wildlife reserves in South Africa and is a rare colour mutation of the Kruger subspecies of lion (Panthera leo krugeri). It has been perpetuated by selective breeding in zoos around the world. White lions are not yet a separate subspecies and they have been said to be indigenous to the Timbavati region of South Africa for centuries, although the earliest recorded sighting in this region was 1938. Regarded as divine by locals,[1] white lions first came to public attention in the 1970s in Chris McBride's book The White Lions of Timbavati. Up until 2009, when the first pride of white lions was reintroduced to the wild, it was widely believed that the white lion could not survive in the wild. It is for this reason that, now, a large part of the population of white lions are in zoos. Another large part, however, are bred in camps where they are bred almost always for canned hunting trophies.
It is hard to determine exactly how many white lions there are today, because they are held in captive breeding and canned hunting operations which don't keep adequate records. Based on available evidence, The Global White Lion Protection Trust estimate there are less than 300 White Lions world-wide"
white lion

never knew canned hunting was discussed and mentioned so openly

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:24 am 

Here are some more pics of the white lions of the Timbavati - both white lions are still alive and close to 20 months old now...

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:11 pm 

Fantastic pics Chad :clap:

Were these taken at ingwelala?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:41 pm 

thanks mike....no, these pics were snapped up at motswari....i dont know if the pride has actually been seen on ingwelala yet, i know they are seen by members on the main rd, but i havent heard of sightings of them on the property, although i do know they spent at least 3 days there last month, just no one saw them....currently they deep in the klaserie and we shall have to wait and see when they decided to return to the timbavati....

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:21 pm 

Hi

I have certain questions.

1) What is the difference between Albino and Leucistik animals (except the colour of the eye?).

2) Does the white Lions only occur in Kruger (spoken only in the southern Africa) or does they exist somewhere else? If yes where are the records?

3) My Grandmother saw long long time ago a Black Leopard are these animals Leucastic aswell or what these "abnormal" cats called?

Thank you for the answers.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:19 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

There is somewhere, here on the mammals forum, a good explanation of the two, especially leucistic, but I'll give it a shot.

Albinism is basically the absence of colour pigments in the skin, hair, feathers, etc. - therefore the pink eyes, lips, nose, etc. - basically all visible skin.

Leucistic means a colour variation. The animal has colour, but other than the norm. Example a white, not albino, impala, buffalo, etc. It does have colour, but not the same as usual. Or a totally black impala, or a zebra with no white. Never seen or heard of any, but those would be leucistic. So it is basically a colour variation.

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:19 am 

the black leopards are known to occur; that is a colour variation called melanism, where too much melanin (black pigment) is produced in the animals...you get some birds like the melanistic form of the gabar goshawk that occur regularly because of the genetic inheritance...

i could be wrong, but leucism is gentically transfered, i am not sure about albinism??? if two albinos have young, will their offspring be albinos? if two white lions (leucistic animals) have young, all their cubs will be white...it is about pairing the recessive genes....i would guess albinism is not so much a recessive gene as a 'broken' gene??? im just thinking aloud here :wink:

as for the white lions, they are known to occur in the kruger, hluhluwe-umfolozi (have heard of a report there many many years ago), but predominantly and most frequently in the timbavati...as for the rest of southern africa, i havent personally heard of anything....why are they white? no one has any idea, but a lot of theories, like its a kick back from the ice age, but if that were the case, then surely the gene would be more wide spread and not confined to our area???

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:05 pm 

Woweee I never knew Kruger had white
Lions! This is beautiful and amazing!
I truly hope I see one in my lifetime.

Chad your pics r just mind blowing! Well done!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next