Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Kruger in the early 80's
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:28 pm 

Wonderful how one only remembers the good of the old days and then remembers it being even better than it really was.
As far as I can remember getting a bungalow reservation during the school holidays was always a problem, even in the early 60's. You were only too glad to get something, we often stayed in military style tents in Lower Sabie and Shingwedzi, with "klapperhaar" mattresses and a paraffin lamp. I can still see my father sitting at his desk, writing his request for accomodation.
Can you remember the days when you could get morning coffee or tea in you bungalow at Skukuza, just like in a hotel?
The experiments to get an alternative to tar for the roads? They tried mixing some sort of oil with the gravel but that didn't work. And the outcry when KNP started tarring some of the roads!
My first trip to the KNP with my family with a caravan was in '78. If my memory serves me right we had to pay something like R3.20 per night in Skukuza! We thought it expensive but worth the money because everything was so clean.

Proud member of the Kruger Park Family

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:59 pm 

This is the dinner menu from Berg & Dal Restaurant on 12/12/84:

R8.00 a head for all 7 courses:

Minestrone Soup
    Cape Salmon Meuniere
    Stuffed Cabbage
    Roast Leg of Pork & Apple Sauce, Roast Potatoes, Vegetables
    Coconut tart
    Cheese & Biscuits
    Tea & Coffee

And it was wonderful :D

This was our first trip to Kruger and we were amazed (coming from the UK) that there were no locks on the doors and that we could leave everything safely all day while we were out driving.

We didn't have any problems with baboons raiding the fridges either. I also remember the picnic sites when there was a big fire for wood to start the braai, and hot water for tea. Also having to queue up for the tickey box - long before mobile phones!

We do not own the world, and its riches are not ours to dispose of at will. Show a loving consideration for all creatures, and seek to maintain the beauty and variety of the world. Rejoice in the splendour of God's continuing creation.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:22 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I remember my dad always writing to the National Parks Board requesting our accomodation, and the agonising wait to see of the request was available or not. I used to wait for the mail every day until that white envelope with the red parks board postage stamp print arrived, then of course the wait till he got home from work to know what the answer was.

I remember those black water furnaces they used to have near the kitchens, and the fires they used to have at the picnic spots in the early winter mornings.

As far as irritations goes, some have just changed form........who remembers the CB radio craze, we used to cringe when we saw a car with a long CB antenna because it meant that in a few minutes every car in the vacinity with a CB would be there at the sighting.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Shops were closed around lunchtime , reopened 2 hrs (?) before gates closed .
3 day Wilderness trails were R 130 , the road from Klaserie to Orpen was gravel through southern Timbavati , one had to fill in a register on traversing it .
Orpen had six 2 bedded huts , communal refrigeration , paraffin lamps , very few vehicles entered the KNP at this gate .

Then in August 1985 I was dismayed to see the road constuction crew start preparing the new road from reception towards the new entrance gate ...

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.