Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's Shingwedzi like??
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Wildheart wrote : Nyawutsi hide is my favorite hide, we have seen a huge nile monitor there on several occasions and spend over a half an hour with an old elephant bull who had a bath. The atmosphere is out of this world and gives you the true sense of Kruger. The next stop is the Grootvlei dam with breathtaking scenery.

If anyone found my Sasolbird book with leather cover at Nyawutse around 31 Dec 2008 / 1 Jan 2009 , please pm me .

In the 4 hours there only one car arrived , what peace I had .
Please to those thinking of Shingwedzi area , it has its disadvantages , it is so far from civilisation , it takes at least 2 hours longer to get there than all other camps , you will hardly see any open safari vehicles or traffic jams , there is relatively little chance of seeing the big 5 , the mopaniveld is so boring that even wildebeest and zebra are thinly distributed ...

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:31 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ndloti - I know what you are trying to do! :whistle:

We saw (in one week) leopard twice and lions three times in the dry river bed - just outside the camp gate. You will have difficulty to find rhino but elephants are everywhere and they are a bit crazy as well. They just LOVE chasing cars. :big_eyes:

Book the morning walk, it is awesome! Our guide took us over the dry Shingwedzi River and we identified a lot of spores in the sand while having snacks. He took us to a mud bath that was created by elephants. It was quite a distance away from the river and it was amazing to see that they could actually find water in the middle of nowhere.

PS: There are no Mopani problems around Shingwedzi. :wink:

But, Shingwedzi is definitely not in every bodies taste, you have to love birds and the smaller things of Kruger otherwise you will be disappointed.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Forestgump , I feel overwhelmingly at peace being alone there ... Image
... with 35 elephants under the trees , look carefully ...
... my lair is invisible to most who arrive and see a car , but no people ...

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ndloti, i have also watched elephants from up there.forestgump does not really get lonely,enjoy the thrill of getting to a lookout alone,and then relaxing into the environment.The lookout always feels like big cat territory,especially when alone ! :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:02 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Shingwedzi is one of my favourite camps in Kruger. I love the roads near the camp (great gameviewing!) and the camp's quiet atmosphere. Tshanga is my favourite viewpoint in Kruger - I always go there when I stay at Shingwedzi. :D
When I was there 3 weeks ago, there was a hyaena den near the camp, and I had several sightings of Verreaux' Eagle Owls. (I have seen them there often since my first visit in 2001.) :D

Can't wait to return to Shingwedzi next year... :dance:

Post subject: Re: Shingwedzi Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am booked in cottage FF4 in April. I looked through this topic but cannot find an answer on this:
Bushmad wrote:
Does anyone know where the family cottage is in Shingwedzi? What sort of position does it have? I see that the bungalows have been rebuilt, what are they like and which ones were redone?

I know that you guys will know the answer and more!

Can anyone tell me if the FF4 unit has a braai area outside and has it been renovated? Any photographs someone? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:10 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The family cottage at Shingwedzi is close to the eastern gate, beyond the lhousekeeping block in A circle, it has two bedrooms one each on either side of the kitchen/dining area. The bathroom leads into the kitchen area. The braai facility is a skottelbraai similar to that at the other accomodation. Last time we were there it had not been rebuilt May 2009.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The beauty of Shingwedzi area enhanced by the recent good rains ..

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I imagine the Kanniedood road area would be ideal habitat for Pels .
They will probably only be seen on nightdrives as there is too much vehicular traffic in daytime .
The trees on the northern bank overshadow the water a bit further eastwards from this point , there are probably also other possible locations more to the west when there are large water pools after rain .

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:37 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Kingfisha wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the FF4 unit has a braai area outside and has it been renovated? Any photographs someone? :hmz:

Here is a photo I took of the FF4 unit (#29) in 2006.

When I was in Shingwedzi in November 2009, the outside of the bungalow still looked the same. I don't think it has been renovated.
Btw, the kitchen is inside.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:28 am 

Aw wow :P
So lucky. Shingwedzi is just got such a amazing feel. Look out for Roan Antelope and Eland North on the tar towards Punda Marie also at Babala Picnic site first water hole on the way back. Some interesting things on the dirt road to Bateleur. Note especially Leopards and breeding Elephant herds. Red Rocks is spectacular and Silvervis dam always is an interesting stop and WAIT spot. TRUST ME!!!

Have fun
I am only going in September :roll:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shingwedzi is a beautiful camp, with friendly staff. Not a blade of grass in sight, but the trees in the two rings of bungalows are marvelous.

The pool has been acid-washed (or cleaned somehow), that it is a major plus over all the other stained pools in KNP, nicely done, and brilliant on a 36-degC day.

It is now my second favourite camp (after beloved Lower Sabie), yet ironically, we are unlikely to venture back soon, due to distance and dearth of game.

Even the ver(min)vets don't bother anyone... mefinks there aren't enough tommy-tourists around to feed them and kick-start the problem.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Shingwedzi is the Tsonga name for the place "where the sound of metal objects rubbing against each other" rings.

It is place where I have very fond memories of dating back to October 1970, when we met Ben and Quarta Pretorius.

It is place of many Elephants and beautifull birds, a place where the roaring of Lions keeps one awake at night. It is near to where we found 27 Roan Antelope, where the Nyala daintily graze along the river and look upon one with peace in their shiny eyes, where the Impala fawns will be frollicking very soon.

It is the place where the Crocodiles will await their catch at the low water bridge, where you may find two Saddle Bill Storks wallowing in the pools and maybe some White Storks as well.

You will hear the call of AFRICA from the Fish Eagles, you will hear the call of the Kingfishers.

Early morning you will be awakened by the Francolin and the Guinea Fowls, you will breath in the fresh air of AFRICA and you will savour the taste of your early cup of coffee.

Maybe the Leopard will still watch from where perched in the cool of the huge branch of the Sycamore on the opposite side of the river, and possibly wonder what all those inquisitive humans are staring at.

The Buffalo will come and slake their thirst in the cool waters . . ..

Shingwedzi has the shop where the three girls used to sniffle around and then ask Mrs Milne to please keep the item as they are just quickly going to beg for an increased allowance.

Shingwedzi has the restaurant where our in the Jordaan family used to enjoy a buffalo burger and a milk shake in the cool of the fresh smelling thatch. Shingwedzi is the place where ou Jan and myself used to recall our younger days while sipping an ice cold beer mug, filled with a double Bells and soda and cold precious ice, while watching the flames turn to a purple glow.

Shingwedzi is the place where one can be occupied for hours just watching the Yellow Billed Hornbills and the restless Squirrels who may later out of sheer exhaustion just plonk down and stretch out on the cool of the verandah.

Shingwedzi is the place where we for so many years celebrated Christmas, all of us Oupa Dirk (Dear Old Dad), Ouma Sue, Lanette myself and the three girls and later some hangers on of the male sex who became sons in law. Hopefully Elsabe, Alistair, Nicholas and little Danika will also in the future open their Christmas gifts there after Oupa Gerhard had read from Luke 2 from the Great Book, as he had done so many times before.

Shingwedzi is the place where I also imagine hearing the sound of metal object rubbing together.

Shingwedzi is just a wonderful place to be; maybe hot in summer but so rewarding. Oh yes I almost forgot, maybe - just maybe you will also see the White Rhino we found in September 2010 about 2.5 km to the east of the place I mentioned above, along the cool river.

Just go and enjoy this wonderful place and when you also hear the sound of the metal objects, place it in your memory file and when at home and have some leasure time - open the file and it is guaranteed you will start planning your next visit.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:54 pm 

Hi Blouaap

The tuskers can be found by visiting the http://celtis.sanparks.org/parks/kruger ... erging.php.

The whole Shingwedzi area is good for birding. Even the stretch from the camp to the main road, owls early morning in the trees. Back road out of camp to bird hides. Good bird book and binos essential. When will you be there.

Satara 25 & 26 April 2014
Mopani 27 & 28 April 2014
Punda Maria 29 & 30 April 2014

11-13 May 2014 Kruger lodge

Satara 15-18 June 2014
Lower Sabie 19 - 22 June 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:23 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Blouaap definately drive the red rocks loop, it has plenty of game and is very scenic. Another road that you have to try in the area is the S56 up towards babalala , probably my favorite road in Kruger. I have seen leopard on both red rocks and the S56 . The birding is very good up that way during december :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next