Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Top planning hints for your Kruger visit
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:52 pm 

To add on the useful things to take with to the park,,,we take spray bottles , file them with water,keep them in the cooler box when not using them, and spray ourselves when we are getting to hot,

happydaisy try (www.safarinow.com) for all provinces and types of accomodation available in SA

Enjoy the surfing>>>

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:03 am 

How much can I (2 adults) expect to spend while in the park (ex: food, gas, souviners)? we will be there for 8 nights. Since the gas places accept credit, should we go that route or still use cash?

March 1st/2nd @ Satara
March 3rd/4th @ Letaba

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:33 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Happydaisy, by all means use your credit cards, but I always try to have at least R500 cash on me at all times, just in case the electricy is off or something wrong with the terminal.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:56 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

happydaisy15 wrote:
How much can I (2 adults) expect to spend while in the park (ex: food, gas, souviners)? we will be there for 8 nights. Since the gas places accept credit, should we go that route or still use cash?

I would NOT count on being able to use your CC for petrol purchases, I think that very few petrol stations offer this for overseas CCs. And IMO the only reliable ATM for getting cash with an overseas card is at Skukusa — or at the Spar just outside the gate at Phalaborwa. So be prepared with cash.

I have never had a problem with using my CC at the camps shops, but I travel solo and am not a big shopper. I've also used my CC on occassion at a camp deli or restaurant, also with no problems, but there ARE times when the whole computer system is down — after all, you are in the bush :wink: — so it is best to be prepared with a good amount of cash. How much will depend on how much shopping and restaurant meals you plan on.

I'd suggest that you plan on having R2000-3000, with a backup plan to replenish should you find that you will need more. You might be lucky and be able to use your US CC for petrol, but I wouldn't count on it. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:59 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I would take Ark's suggestion. If you don't mind carrying cash, that route might be preferable.

On my last trip, when I did a lot more driving that usual, I spent about R100 a day on petrol. I drive a Honda SUV type of car with a 2l engine. I normaly spend about R70 a day on petrol.

I am not sure of your plans for eating. When I travel alone, I tend to snack and eat one main meal. I would count on spending about R100 a day/per person. I try to buy colddrinks and snacks outside the Park, as they are much cheaper and have a better selection. Fresh produce is also not always available in the Park. I do like to buy fresh fruit in season from the vendors, but be careful of things like Mangos as they can ripen very quickly.

It can get very, very hot certain times of the year. If I am not camping, I freeze my drinks overnight and let them thaw through the day. I use a small cooler box (enough to hold 6 energy drinks) for my frozen drinks. I do recommend isotonic drinks if you are not used to the heat.

Other extras I sometimes forget to factor in are ice and firewood. If you wish to braai, you would need to stock up about every second day. I am not sure of the cost.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:47 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
happydaisy15 wrote:

In SA, we call it petrol (or diesel if your vehicle uses it instead).

Plan on one rand per kilometre you intend travelling. The most we do in a full day is 250 km, * 8 = R2000 for petrol inside the park, and you will be ok.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:53 pm 

I looked for a place where to post the following question and this is where I landed. I would like to know if there is a problem of late (2010) at Crocodile Bridge Safari Tents with baboons and monkeys? We will be at this camp 2nd September and saw on the layout of this camp that the safari tents are quite close to the fence - in fact two of them face the fence. I also noticed that the fridge is situated on the 'verandah' of the safari tent. Does anyone know if they have a problem with monkeys and baboons. The last thing we need is our food raided in the fridge as we are on a strict budget and don't have money to waste on buying new food if they should go in there. Hope someone sees this message. and Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:27 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

When I was there the problem existed. Baboons particularly were able to open fridges. Take a length of rope with you to tie round the fridge - actually two, so you can put one round the top freezer section too. The other alternative is to turn the fridge around to face the tent each time you go out.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:41 pm 

Just what we need for our trip. Thanks everyone I'm going to print this out and digest it :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:36 am 

Hello & thank you for the information y'all have provided;

I am driving to the Kruger Park on March 13th & am planning on staying there untill the 16th. After reading your feedback what camp(s) / activities would you recommend?
I'm traveling with my kids; ages-16,21 & 27. We are from the USA-first time in your country.
Blessings
John

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:45 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum thotjt.

3 days will flash past. stay in one camp only.

Any will do.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:55 am 

Hi I'm from the USA and first time to Africa and want to spend 2 days at the park...either Lower Sabie or Crocodile Bridge....suggestions on which is better? Also is it possible to get to Lower Sabie without a car, can you get a driver once in the park? I'm leaning towards lower sabie but need to make sure I can actually get there!
Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:39 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Hi and welcome to the forums!

And I have bad news for you... You really, really, need a car!
Not a 4x4 or such, any small car will do, as long as it's not one with an open roof.

If you do not have a car you'll have to hire a taxi, which can be iffy in SA. That will drop you off in camp, and then.... You can do as good as nothing. All you can do is the sunsetdrive, and the next morning the morningdrive.

As for the camp, I actually think Skukuza would be better as I saw that you have not booked yet, but want to be there in 3 weeks.
Croc bridge and Lower Sabie ar popular camps, and may be fully booked. Skukuza is way larger and should have space. Check here what is available for you.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I have been to the park almost anually for almost 15 years and last year did my first Trail. In April I did another and now I am addicted. I am 34 year old femal and moderately fit. The normal trails provide all you need except for drinks (they do have water and coffee) It is the best way to see Kruger and if like me you like the peace and quiet you will love it!

Plus the rangers and guides are amazing. Every hour you learn something new!!!

All I can say is GO for it!!!

:D :D :D

26 - 28 April Pretoriuskop (First Time Visit)
29-30 April Olifants
1-2 May Mopani
3-4 May Orpen
5-6 May Lower Sabie

Trip Report Photographs and Memories Kruger June 2013

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
I would like some advice as to how my fellow mites pack there food. We have two cooler boxes, one is used solely for all our meat, the other one is used for drinks and things like margarine, cheese,lettuce etc. When leaving the camp for a whole day drive do you take the cooler boxes with you or do you only take the food that you are going to be using for breakfast with you? Do you have two sets of crockery/cutlery? (by that I mean do you have crockery/cutlery that is used in the camp and another set that you use when making a meal at a picnic site? We are trying to be more space conscious this time we go camping, thanks in advance

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015