Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 320 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where else to go nearby?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

bert wrote:
Madaches rental tip beats Avis, which i did through a dutch agent. Paid more for the famous Nissan Micra and had a own
liability of about 175 euros. Normaly a take care of that but due to the shock of the red devil i forgot :redface:

On the way back to the airport a stone hit the windscreen and it is going to cost me.

Isn't window damage exempt from liability at Avis? I rented from Avis two years ago (through an agent) and I returned the car with a huge impact of a stone on the windscreen :cry: They weren't worried about it though because damage to windows was covered by the insurance and not subject to liability :D

bert wrote:
Make sure that y are fully ensured :!:

My experience is that it's not possible to rent a car without some liability. Even with Europcar super cover the minimum liabilty is R4000 :evil:

Post subject: Auto Rental advice needed
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We will be flying into Nelspruit/Kruger airport and will need a rental car for three weeks. What rental companies do you recommend?

Thanks.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:16 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi TX,
There is quite a bit of advice about car rentals in the FAQ.
Please let us know if you have any more questions. :D

I let http://www.carhire.co.za/ handle my rental for August 2006. Same agent as mentioned in the FAQ.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi, its great that you'll be visiting!

Are you spending your entire time in SA in Kruger? It is beyond wonderful but there is so much else to see and do, especially since you will have come sucha long way.

Anyway, about the rental advice.

The most reputable companies all have offices at our airports including KMIA. Companies like, Avis, Imperial and Budget are all good and often have special rates. I suggest you take a look at their SA websites, perhaps someone could provide a link.

In terms of what kind of car to rent: Most have air conditioning but it is needed because it can get quite hot, however, you should drive around Kruger with the windows wide open, to take in the fresh air, sounds and smells of the bush that help you find game but are invigorating!!

A 4x4 is not needed as Krugers roads are very well maintained, however, the higher vantage point of cars like the Toyota Venture is better, it also has good luggage room and is ideal. However others should be fine (you will see people in everything from small two door cars to luxury German SUVs all of which do just fine in the Park and on national roads) Also, its worth paying a little extra for insurance, not that anything will happen but it is worth the peace of mind. You will also find that these companies give good deals on free daily kms.

Try to avoid a red car, purely because it is an eyesore among the quiet colours of the wilderness! :lol:

The others will give you plenty more advice..good luck!

Post subject: Re: Auto rental advice needed
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:54 pm 

TXDrifter wrote:
We will be flying into Nelspruit/Kruger airport and will need a rental car for three weeks. What rental companies do you recommend?

Thanks.

We've always used Avis and they have been fine. On one occasion when the car developed a fault they sorted it out pretty quickly (bearing in mind where we were!) and gave us a free tank of fuel.

It is important to consider the internal comfort of the car, particularly the seats. You will be sitting on them for some considerable time. On our last visit we hired a luxury Mercedes which was a mistake, the seats were much too hard.

Catherine

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:45 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I highly recommend AutoEurope, which is a consolidator that is actually based in Maine. I used them for my last SA trip and will be using them again in 2006. They use Avis in SA and their rates are excellent (far better than going directly with Avis or Hertz) as is their service. Locally in SA, if you have any problems you deal directly with Avis. I had a flat last trip and shredded a tire, which was replaced at the Avis office in Phalaborwa.

Your CD insurance may be covered by your US credit card, so you should be sure to check. Better yet, if you have Diner's Club, they cover you as first party insurer ... others cover you only in excess of what your personal auto insurance covers. I highly recommend always using Diners for auto rentals as they are invaluable if you have a problem that involves insurance reimbursement. I've also had a couple of after-the-trip problems with overseas car rentals and Diner's has simply taken over and resolved the problem.

There are pros and cons for what type of vehicle. Some prefer the higher view from a 4x4, and you can also see over lower profile vehicles at the occassional sighting traffic jam, but I personally prefer the "direct" view from a sedan, rather than to be looking down at the animals. Also, AC, which I almost never use at home, is a must in SA. Even tho you will want to drive with windows open, when your car has gotten hot and stuffy while you've been relaxing over lunch, you'll be glad of the AC to cool it down before your drive :lol:.

You should have plenty of choice for car rentals from Nelspruit. I've both picked up and dropped off a car there in the past and that was long before it became in "international" airport. My last flight from there was in a 9 seater in a thunderstorm â€â€

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

My car broke down recently on a trip to Swaziland and I used Budget. The service was outstanding as was their prices. Because I am a club mccarthy member I get discount. I had the car two days, and travelled 700km with it. My final charge (excluding fuel) was just under R300. I think that is very reasonable considering it had aircon and power steering.

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:13 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

lam wrote:
One thing to bear in mind is that most cars in South Africa are not automatic. If you not used to changing gears, make sure you request an automatic. This might influence your choice of car.

Personally I prefer an automatic in the Kruger anyway - I find it much easier for edging forwards/backwards and crawling along slowly than a manual gearbox.

I had a problem with Hertz in SA - they rented me two consecutive cars with expired road tax. I didn't notice on the first one and was stopped and fined by the Police (although Hertz naturally paid the fine, and a letter of complaint got a huge refund). On my last trip I used Avis and their service was fine.

Post subject: Combi v. Vito?
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:25 pm 

Good morning everyone, thanks for the advice above.

I will be returning to Kruger for too-short of a trip in May, and am asking for advice on which car to rent. We will be renting at Joburg, and driving to the park. We travel reasonably lightly (we're coming from the US, though). In addition to which car, is there a company which is the obvious standout for rental prices of these two options?

On previous trips, we've rented Combis and enjoyed them (although the single back window not opening is annoying ...). On our last trip we rented a Mercedes Vito.

We will have at least 5, maybe 7, people, for 8 days, staying at Letaba, Mopani, Satara and Lower Sabie, for 2 nights each. We will be bringing in much food and wine from outside the park.

What are the thoughts and advice on how to select between the two options? We will consider the price differential later, but we are more concerned about space, height, window size, noise, etc.

I look forward to everyone's reply. Thanks in advance!
We are South Africans returning for our annual trip to the Kruger.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

arks wrote:
Hi Schoemanskloof and welcome!

Please see my post on the first page of this thread, about halfway down, which should answer at least some of your questions. AutoEurope has been great for me and I recommend them highly. I will also be in the park in May, driving a car hired through AutoEurope :D , so perhaps our paths will cross. Don't forget your YR 8)

Thanks for the tip Arks! I allways use Avis in SA anyway so if autoeurope is cheaper I'll use their services next time :D .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Arks, Thank you for the advice on AutoEurope.... looks like if you are a non-national you get one price vs. being a national... we had a friend in SA look at the local rate and it was cheaper on a local basis than booking international :huh: , granted this was direct with Avis, I will now investigate AutoEurope

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I expect that the different rates for Avis are similar to the differences in WildCard and conservation fee rates and occur elsewhere as well â€â€

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

lam wrote:
I have heard that it is much cheaper for foreigners to wait and book car hire once they get here.

This has not been my experience, lam, and I wouldn't advise waiting and taking the risk. You can, on occassion, get a lower rate from using a local, rather than international, rental company, but they will insist that you take full insurance cover, which the internationals don't if you have your own insurance cover, as many Americans do, through either personal car insurance or from the CC you use (Diners Club, for example, provides primary insurance cover to its customers, which is the reason I carry it and always use it for car rentals).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Graeme,

Try to get a car with a high vantage point and large windows (Toyota Condor/VW Touran). With the high vantage point you won't have a problem with the grass in May. I'm also in Kruger in May and will be driving a VW Touran. You don't need a 4x4 in Kruger.

Try this website for cheap car rental. I always use this company and I'm very happy with their service and rates.

M.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:03 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

From the FAQ:
Car hire

You can visit Kruger with any brand or make of car, the roads in Kruger are well maintained, including the gravelroads. Most of the cars for hire will be white, which is a nice color in summer as the car will stay cooler. Air conditioning is also fairly standard in the car, but to experience Kruger to the fullest you will probably drive with all windows open to let in all the smells and sounds.
While a Toyota Corolla-like car will do you for most of the year, during and just after the rainy season (say Januari till April) a higher car like a Condor will benefit you more.
It will cost you about 2000 USD for a Toyota Condor on Super Cover and unlimited milage for 28 days. A less pleasant thing about the Condor is fuel consumption...you'll only get about 10 kilometers to a liter from it.
This company has been used by forummembers and they returned favourable comments about it. The Condor costs about USD 65 a day. Here is a link to the 6 car rental companies at the airport: Link.

It's not possible to rent a car without some liability. Even with Europcar super cover the minimum liabilty is R4000. Also check your insurance to see if it covers damage caused by driving gravel roads! Some companies do not have that insurance, and that will likely cost you a lot in damages.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next