Skip to Content

THE GREAT BALULE FORUM CAMPOUT AND CLEANUP

Find information and join us for the next forum meeting

Moderator: Crested Val

BunnyHugger

THE GREAT BALULE FORUM CAMPOUT AND CLEANUP

Unread postby BunnyHugger » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:01 pm

I'll post this here intially and then have the mods move it to Meets and Greets where it probably belongs.

In another thread Glen79 and I were chatting and the idea formed to have a forum campout at Balule. Thing is we want to book out the entire camp for ourselves so we need to plan this deep into the future. At least a year or so ahead so we can book the place. Even the long weekend in September 2010 is pretty booked up in this popular little camp.

Who of you are campers and would enjoy a meeting of this nature?

Say three nights sometime when the chances are we will wake up in the AM without the tents being washed away by rain.

I'll keep an updated list af all those who want to do this. Also will be treated on a 1st paid first confirmed basis.

Rules:
Only open to forum members and immediate family. (Spouse, kids)
To book out Balule completely
You must have your YR.
Deposits will be forfeit once paid. To be donated to a Fund to benefit KNP. (will have to think of something worthy to donate to.)
It is for campers only. (Unless you consider yourself a camper and can prove it by having the right equipment, begged borrowed or ......)
Bring all your own food and beverage and some wood for the communal fire.
All Normal SANPARKS RULES will apply.

All game drives are at your own discression, game walks, and other activities are for your own account.

In so far:

Sprocky
Yours truly
Glen70
Zeelie
Forrestgump

Possibles G@mespotter
PJW
Nungu
Scipio

Additonal edit. PErsonally I'd like this to happen at Balule but not fixated on it. Consider another location and let's put it to the vote.
Last edited by BunnyHugger on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Bunny Hugger

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Sprocky

Re: BALULE FORUM GET TOGETHER -CAMPOUT

Unread postby Sprocky » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:04 pm

I'm in!!! :thumbs_up:

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:18 pm

I'd be very interested, its more a question of timing and leave etc.
Would we still need YRs? :P
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:51 pm

Obviously i'm in :dance:
Berg-en-Dal 28/12/2015 to 29/12/2015
Lower Sabie 29/12/2015 to 03/01/2016

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Another camp worth considering is Malelane - and those who do not get accomodation could still visit as they can stay outside the park but be close........ And it is not often booked out either. Has a full cooker, and a communal fridge freezer plus elecricity anyway.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby G@mespotter » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:11 pm

Thing is: if you want to book the whole camp out for formites, you'll have to book AFTER October 2010, unless there is still a a suitable week left. I checked now: Balule has 15 campsites, and 15 are only open after 1 week of October.

I personally would suggest: DO long term planning, i.e. plan to book it for Dec 2010. I know it sounds far, but as with the bakcpack trail time goes fast, and for the dates suggested below: the chances of cancellations & dissapointments is less for all!

I personally have a feeling the easiest planning for such a group would be from 27 Dec 2010 till 1 Jan 2011. NEW YEAR at Balule with other formites?! Sounds good to me...? It sounds FAR form now but hey, I think it's the easiest way for all, and a special occasion attached!

That's my suggestion so far.... :thumbs_up:

(better jump for the books now: BH TNX for distracting me :twisted: )
Tambotie 20 July, Shipandane Birdhide 21 July, Mphongolo Backpack Trail 22 -25 July, Tzendze 26 July, and Greater Limpopo National Park 27 -29 July :D

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:50 pm

During BH and my initial discussion, the thought of using this as a fund raiser came up.

How does R100 extra per booking per night sound?
15 camp sites and 6 huts = 21 possible bookings
21 x R300 (R100 x 3 nights) = R6300 that can be donated to KNP towards anti poaching or any other cause.
We are already paying such a little for the accomodation, im sure most wouldnt mind?

Just an idea, feel free to add to it, better it, change it, challenge it etc??

BunnyHugger

Unread postby BunnyHugger » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:09 am

Some great ideas coming out here. :clap: and some great enthusiasm. Take a bow all of ya.

GS is correct. we will have to do long-term planning to get the whole camp booked. For those who aren't campers, the other side is a great idea and can be worked on.

So looks like it should be october sometime next year (maybe November).

Lets get a consensus of dates and work from there. I like OCtober and even if it isn't a "normal" long weekend, a couple of days leave or off school won't really hurt anyone. May thin the nubers a bit but hey, there is a year to plan dis ting.

Let's go for a record number of 'mites in paradise. 8) In one camp, at the same time.

I was going to suggest an extra fee to donate towards a KNP initiative so good to see some others are happy with this.

Someone come up with how a challenge will work and we can get the whole formum involved. Why stop with just a small donation :doh:

Will update the list of attendees later.
Bunny Hugger

It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

BunnyHugger

Unread postby BunnyHugger » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:37 pm

Still some good ideas coming through...

Getting involved, :hmz: ,well, I thought that maybe that was one reason we frequent the forum. We share ideas, rag the people who we think are slacking in their jobs, share ideas and talk some crud. Oh, and every now and then, we have a chuckle.

Couple of things we need to remember, as much as we might not like it:

Things in government departments take a long time (sometimes a very long time) to materialise. Committee meetings, sub committee meetings, feasability studies and a whole lot of wasted time and energy. Decisions are seldom taken because of the "coya" thing (cover your posterior).

AS much as I would like to see stuff change, it is going to take a long time and we are only planning one long weekend.

The way I see it is the weekend is planned to have some fun and meet one another. Perhaps raise some funds for the park. For over a year now, I have been making suggestions as to how we can help and lend a hand. Perhaps before we get taken seriously, we maybe need to create some cred.

Can we maybe use the weekend to meet with a few of the parks management, air our concerns and discuss potential solutions. Give then some kind of confidence that we are serious about conservation and serious about making a difference in a resposinsibe manner.

Heck, I don't know. I am foncused about this whole thing. Maybe, I just want to have some fun for a bit and not worry about behavioural problems and other issuesin the park.

Will it really help for us to decend on paradise en masse and snap hundreds of pics to post on the hooglians and idjits times (Gallery of shame)? What difference will that really make?

Getting involved means maybe becoming HR's and making a more meaningful contribution.

Maybe the best thing for us to do is just spend some fun time together and spend some time sharing good memories.

There is a time and place for everything. This is maybe a time to share memories and have fun and just maybe a time to share ideas as to how we can make a real diference.

Maybe we should put this to a vote.

Personally, I vote for a fun weekend.
Bunny Hugger

It's imperative.

Think Pink. ..

BunnyHugger

Unread postby BunnyHugger » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:35 am

E-Mailed Zaks months ago. If she has been on leave for that long then I def want to work for SANPARKS.

Got a PM from Bert and he has kindly offered his help with this.

Anyone got any ideas as to how we can use it as a fund raiser or should we just do a campout / forum get together and have a ball? We have just over a year to plan this so there's plenty time to get bookings done and all that stuff.
Bunny Hugger

It's imperative.

Think Pink. ..

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:42 am

When planning, keep Cricket @ Skukuza in mind too. This is usually held mid March at Skukuza.

Perhaps a combined visit for some. Just an idea.
Sawubona
Dalene

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:16 am

I agree with BH. My minimum is 4 nights, but I could make an exception.

BH, as I've voiced before, I would like to combine it with an (optional) clean up operation.
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

BunnyHugger

Unread postby BunnyHugger » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 am

That sounds like a great plan Josh.

Last time I was in the park, there was a lot of litter at Nwamanzi lookout point close to Olifants.

Bert, what can you organise for us? There must be a few other places where we can go out and clean up around the general area of Balule/ Olifants / Satara.

We can get a guided walk with ranger protection without havng to fork out huge sums of ZAR all in the prectext of operation cleanup. :tongue:
Bunny Hugger

It's imperative.

Think Pink. ..

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:27 am

I really like the idea of a cleanup. :thumbs_up:

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger