Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is done with sick lions?
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:53 pm 

BB - Thank you so much for the lion pics. If the lioness was kicked out of her pride, then she seems to be doing very well for herself. The two brothers are magnificent! And I love the royal family in the shade! :clap:

Ingrid - That lion looks just like my cats at home, when they're scratching the couch. :lol: Thanks!

Sakoro - Thanks for the information! You make it seem so easy. :thumbs_up:

I've been to Asia and Europe, but never to Africa. I would love to go at least once before I die! Hopefully, I will be able to make it work. :pray:

Thanks again!

It's better to live one day as a lion, than live a thousand years as a lamb.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:59 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Lion Lover, the prides in the Kgalagadi tend to catch a lot of small game, so the prides break up a lot as a springbok does not go very far in feeding a pride of lions, and then re-group a couple of days later.

It is quite common to see lone lions walking around - and could still be part of a pride.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:30 pm 

Billyf - :hmz: I didn't realize that. Well, that's good to know they still have a pride to go back to.

Thanks for the info!

It's better to live one day as a lion, than live a thousand years as a lamb.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:19 am 

Hey Lion Lover-- the forumites are very helpful with any sort of minor niggling question (and yes, I tend to be a bit of a worrier and they have answered all of my stupid questions). Check out the Advice Needed (non-park specific) forum for all kinds of logistical info and the Arid Parks forum for info on Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. The Arid Parks also has a sticky thread at the top with links to trip reports from people who have visited Kgalagadi.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:53 am 

And please not that BB is not at all biased towards Kgalagadi lions ... :roll: :twisted:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:48 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Imberbe wrote:
And please not that BB is not at all biased towards Kgalagadi lions ... :roll: :twisted:

I have seen bunches and bunches of both, so I am qualified to judge, not like all the one dimentional Krugerites who, when they see a kitty, say 'There is a big lion". :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:32 pm 

Hi Karen,

Du you know what National Park means?? A National Park is an Area where Animals are Proteckted with little interference of a human beeing as possibel. I can understand you, it makes me cry, when i see injuried or sick Animals but we shouln´t play god and shoot them! there for we sholu leave is as it is. I don´t want to attack you but I want tha you understand the fackt why the Park management leave it as it is. If you want inform yourself about NP the i can can really recommend IUCN.

Cu

Malealea

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:47 pm 

I remember a convesation i over heard about shooting down a sick buffalo that was sick, it stood still in one position for more than five hours then eventually it fell down and was devoured. Many people dont understand that shooting one sick animal is prevent a vicious spread even tho you may not stop the entire disease.

Besides the pain it brings to witness it, it spreads it to other preditors or savages that consumes the meat, gues lions got the disease from eating sick buffalos too.

They should create some cure and inject every spotted lion or buffalo for preventions, but then again the research department is not that effective.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:05 pm 

My 2 cents: If rangers had to shoot every sick or injured animal we would completely rule out the process of natural selection. I read about a male lion in Botswana that was studied by scientists over a number of years and when he eventually died they did a necropsy and saw that he broke his back somewhere in his life and survived! If somebody decided to 'put him out of his misery' he would never have lived and passed those monstrously strong genes on to many many cubs. Lions get bitten by snakes, break bones, survive invections and many more horrid situations. It's horrible to watch but it's nature.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:57 pm 

Hi Karen, the reality of the situation is that nature can be very cruel to be kind. The young and strong healthy animals survive and the sick and old ones must die to keep the specie as healthy as possibe.I understand that most of the Kruger herds of buffaloes are infected by bovine TB. They can survive for years but probably do live a shorter life than a healthy one, as a result of this disease. Any predator, not only lions, eating at a carcass of an infected animal stands a good chance of becoming infected itself. Sad but true! I believe that the policy of the Sanparks Board is that they will normally only intervene in the natural process when man has, for example, placed a snare in the veld and the snare has caught an animal in it. Much research has and is still being done by Sanparks with the bovine TB disease and we must have faith that some cure will be found in the near future. In the meantime, Bush Baby, your lions really do look good!!! :pray:

UNITE AGAINST POACHING

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:14 pm 

no I completyly disagree. We shouldn´t interfere. Nature will help themselve. Only a few Diseaes will infeckt other species the most sickness only affeckt one specie. And if a sickness affeckt other people, nature will deal with it. We would do anything worse. Playing god is Madness because it will fail anyway, we can not controll nature.

Best regards

Malealea

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:07 pm 

Hi LL
Don't know if it will reassure you but...just came back from 3 weeks in Kruger in August where we saw lions every day except one and in that whole time we didn't see any noticably sick lions. In fact we only saw one on our previous visit.

So yes there are TB lions in KNP but it's certainly not chronic if the lions we saw were anyhting to go by.
Gemma

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:07 pm 

@ Gemma,

Indeed it doesn´t look right. Just check some pictures in the Forum (eg nice Lions (round about that!)) you see that there more sick Lions that I thought. With TB it looks like a really big Problem, because now, it also reach the norhern Park! It look pretty bad and now they opened the fence to Zimbabwe and Mocambique. That will cuase difficulties because now the sickness spread everywhere. Oh deer we can just hope that Lions get very quik Immune against the sickness!

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:23 pm 

Fences have only been dropped into Moz. Not the Zim side. :naughty:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:27 am 

@Mgulube

for sure that the fence to Zim is also down. But even if only the fence to MOc is down, will help to spread the sickness to Moc.. which is not much better!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next