Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Talamati Bushveld Camp
Unread postPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:34 am 

Hi All, I am a new member and was wondering if anyone can give me some useful info on the Talamati bushcamp. Going there next week for the first time.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:44 am 

I have been to Talamati last week and saw lots of game in the area.
Lions Chasing Buffalo at Mozandzani picnic spot.
Lots of Elefant at the dam by the gate.
Leopard and Cub as well as Sable at Mahalabyanini water hole and the resident troop of baboons sleeping in the trees at Hut no 1 & 2 are still there.
Talamati is a wunderfull camp and I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Welcome Scruff!

I agree with what the others have said, great camp and a very relaxing place to be, especially since the roads are quite out of the way for day visitors and others so viewing is usually a pleasure. I once had a wonderful early morning sighting of a pair of Lions who were very active and very close. We were the only ones there for at least half an hour!

Dont let all these stories get your expectations too high!! Dont expect phenomenal sightings, just relax and enjoy the surroundings, good sightings are a bonus.

Advice: make sure that you fill with petrol at Orpen or Satara when you need to. Charcoal and firewood are sold at Talamati.
The grass can get quite thick in some areas so drive very slowly. A sunset drive from Talamati is usually very good. Look out for the resident Honey Badger (if he's still there & if so, give him space!!!) I have also seen a civet and a genet in camp. Finally, the camp has wonderful bird life, walk around and you'll see what I mean.

Enjoy!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:42 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hello Guava and welcome to the forum!

Talamati is really a stunning camp, being a bushcamp it is not open to the public but only to people staying overnight!
Is doesn't have a shop (nearest is Orpen) but they do offer night drives!
All accommodation is guest cottages with 2 rooms (each own bathroom) Sitting room, FULLY equiped kitchen etc!
Quit camp so night sounds are amazing... owls etc!
There is also a stunning hide where you can watch animals etc. One evening we saw lions there! On another time we were welcomed by a pride of lions 300m outside the gate!
Also great area for rhino, ellies and buffalow, and i know some people who saw Roan there :shock:
All in all a STUNNING camp.
(the only small problem is you have to travel the same long streches of road everytime so not much variation within near proximity of the camp!)
when the Crinum's (tipe of lily) is in bloom you won't believe your eyes!

Hope this helps you!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:45 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi Guava,

The little cats are also there. I have seen AWC and serval (spotted regularly) on night rides, as well as lion, eles, w rhino, and civet. Some of my party saw a cheetah with 4 cubs bring down an impala just past the camp turn off road.

The scops owls "prrrrrrrt" at night.

Give my regards to Patson and see if you can get the smile off his face.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Recently returned from 3rd visit to Talamati.

The others have spoken and I agree.
I would recommend it any day.
I experienced an exceptional level of service from the staff, Patson, with his friendly smile, who seems to remember everyone who takes the time to have a chat with him, is unbelievably helpful!

Sable are frequently seen in the area, something I was privileged to experience.

A great camp, just make sure that you book as long in advance as possible.
Eg: if you want to go in July, bookings opened yesterday and it is already fully booked over the school holidays, so get planning!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:52 pm 

Hi and welcome, catcrazy,
Malelane to Talamati is 145kms, you could stay on the tar road most of the way but the last +/-40kms would be sand road.
Would be a full days drive at a nice speed.
Perhaps entering at Numbi or Phabeni would be a better option.
Have a great time :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:50 pm 

Fantastic Camp - remember there is no shop or restaurant so get all supplies beforehand.
There are 2 hides in the camp one with a spotlight so game viewing can continue when the sun sets.
Hut 15 is furthest from the hide with the spotlight - but is closest to the other, less visited hide.
The hut that burnt down has been rebuilt and is slightly different to the others with a double bed in the main room.
Great picnic sites for breakfast if you head south! Enjoy.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The resident squirrels are going to steal your heart :D and saw the best cheetah sighting ever on the dirt road to camp, and 6 sable including a youngster.
AND it's devinely quiet.....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:26 pm 
Bush Baptist wrote:
They have all been built the wrong way, i.e.facing one another, and not the river or the fence.

Have to agree with BB on this.
This is why it's not my favourite bush camp.
But, as has been said, it is a very good area to see sable.
We've had two sightings, on different occasions in the area near the camp.
More north on the S140, there is a big pride of lions that we have encountered on numerous occasions during several visits, hope they are still in that area.
Once mentioned it to a guide and he said he knew which pride I was talking about.
Apparently they are called the “Rabelais pride".

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jumbo I don't agree with you folk at all - most of the verandahs have two sides one facing the fence and one facing the side onto the next chalet.
We have had the most stupendous sightings in this area and that lion pride is reminiscent of the size of the one that was the centre of the book Nightstalk.
The Rabelais pride is huge when it is all together and we have seen them with 16 cubs and 20 adults accompanying them.
We have also had brilliant sightings of cheetah on the road leading to the camp.
In the dry months one does not even have to go out - you just sit at the hide overlooking the waterhole all day and the game comes to you.
We have even had sable at that waterhole.
There again the Park shows itself to different folk at different times and after all it is all really down to luck on the day and being in the right place at the right time!

8 & 9 Jan 2014 at Elephant Walk
10 to 17 January 2014 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:42 pm 
That is also very true Penny.
I think it depends on what you expect from your visit.
We have a huge personal space when we are in the bush and do not really want to see or hear other people - yip I know, that is almost impossible.
We also do not have children, so I think we are much more (even overly :? ) sensitive about noise - therefore also our dismay regarding the TV's in Bateleur
We've only stayed at Talamati 3 times and all 3 times was during long-weekends when we could not get place elsewhere (perimeter units in main camps or in other bush camps).
The camp was full and seeing that the units are closer to each other than say Biyamiti, we found it very noisy and almost “claustrophobic".
Also, the units we stayed in, had very dense bushes at the fence, so you could not really see through them.
But I'm sure when the camp is more quiet, it will be a very nice experience.
Have to say that the units are actually very nice inside, and well equipped.

My personal view however, is that I will rather stay in Tamboti when I visit this part of the Park - a very subjective view that is not at all intended to put of people from visiting Talamati.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Talamati's not my favourite bush camp (if you're looking to chill-out in a bush camp, then Shimuwini, Biyamiti or Sirheni would suit best) but it is a bush camp (so still much quieter) & in a good area for game.
When I last stayed it was in the ranger's flat & we were woken in the middle of the night by a (resident apparently) leopard calling right by our window.
Being by the gate (& knowing how easily these guys can get into a camp) I stayed indoors.

- Limpopo Tented Camp 3 to 5 Jan
- Leokwe 6 to 7 Jan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next