Skip to Content

A fare thee well? Or just a bit of birding?

Find information and join us for the next forum meeting

Moderator: Crested Val

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

A fare thee well? Or just a bit of birding?

Unread postby DuQues » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:44 pm

You may have noticed GP's avatar...
Well, that's no joke! The people that have followed her blog will know that on the 30th of september the big day is here, after 2 years of sending in forms she's finally allowed into The Netherlands, and we're going to be a real couple! (The definition of a LAT relation needs a rewrite!)

Do you for any reason want to see her before she flies? Or worse, see me?
We'll be in <little smiley looking around for mods> Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden on sunday, the 20th of september.
For those that don't know us:
The Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden is an outstanding birding locality close to the urban centre of Johannesburg. The relatively small area, virtually surrounded by urban development, is managed by the National Botanical Institute (NBI) and includes a diverse array of habitat types which ranges from steep cliffs surrounding a magnificent waterfall to open scrubland and riverine woodland. Several short walks run through the garden and the surrounding natural areas. The JCI Geological Trail has recently been developed and gives visitors the opportunity to not only walk along the Roodekrans Ridge and in the Nature Reserve portion of the garden, but also to learn something about the fascinating geology of the area. Guided tours can be arranged for groups. Information brochures, a map and a bird list are available at the gate or NBI office. A morning's birding in the garden during summer can easily produce a list of 70 species. A total of 230 species have been recorded in the garden.

So you may have a reason to visit anyways! :lol:
Arriving currently: The photos from our trip! Overhere! :yaya:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Guinea Pig
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: A fare thee well? Or just a bit of birding?

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:11 am

Just to confirm that we'll definitely be at Walter Sisulu on Sunday 20 September. We'll be there from 8:00 onwards to do some birding. You're welcome to join us then. If birding's not your thing, meet us at the restaurant, where we'll be having something to eat and drink, at 11:00.
Anybody welcome.
On a quest to visit 9 new National Parks in October. :dance:

Guinea Pig

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:06 pm

We are in the area and ready for Walter Sisulu tomorrow. We'll be there at 8 and spend time there until at least 13:00.

Bert, Duco's birdlist passed 210 already. Mine is on 242 and that excluding the birds we added today.

8)

Guinea Pig

Unread postby Guinea Pig » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:52 pm

We have about 4500 photographs, mostly birds...so that should do as proof? :lol:
Of course I won't mention the pics of Lammergeier, Ground woodpeckers, Crimson-breasted Bushshrikes, African Hawk Eagle, Pearl-spotted Owlet, Orange-breasted waxbills, that would be cruel, I think?

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:35 pm

Back from Walter Sisulu. It was lovely to finally meet up with Duco :D and see GP again.

Dave and Jan and the mouse all had a lovely time together. Sorry, no pictures :redface: :redface: I am not used to taking a camera with me, so I completely forgot that I had brought it with :redface:

We spoke and bonded again like long lost friends. :D I had a lovely meal wth some lovely company 8) I am really looking forward to meeting our two love birds again.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Micetta
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Micetta » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:46 pm

Were there only 5 of you :o

JenB
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Unread postby JenB » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Noooo, Micetta.... six! 8)
I was there early this morning, found Dave, Jan, DQ and GP in the bird hide. DQ was doing what DQ does, peeping through a long lens and GP was just adding ticks to her life list. Dave and Jan were sporting the most beautiful Stiffnecks caps! :D

It was great to see them all again and to meet DQ for the first time.

MM........ I missed you....... :(
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

DavenJan
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DavenJan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:09 am

Great day had by all. Sorry no pics, other than birds. Duco has som super pics of the Black Eagles (sorry Vereauxs Eagles). They timed their flying display just as we got down by the waterfall.

Had a good walk around and a lovely lesurely time at the restaurant. We even met the rest of our family picnicing on the way out.

By the way the Stiffnecks caps are great :clap:

Best wishes to Duco and Sante on their life together in Holland. We will catch up with you in the future.

Dave and Jan
Long live Cricket@Skukuza

Si thi

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!

Return to “Meets & Greets ”