Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: When wondering between the stars...
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:56 am 

When you're lazing on the bench, a pillow under the neck..just relaxing and gazing into the night skies.
What do you find facinating when you're staring into the huge universe that surrounds us ?

- I was watching the skies through my telescope about 3 months ago, the planet Saturn left me speechless after observing it...a massive world surrounded by ice, meteors and dust. In orbit thousands of kilometers away from us, it's a cold and stormy place but perfect in it's own way.

Picture this "a huge man made sphere made to perfection by means of state the arts machinery combined with technology, then suspending it in the sky", totally amazing...

The Kruger Park..a place that is close at heart

Post subject: Re: When wondering between the stars...
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:03 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I always find Jupiter's moons really fascinating. Simply because you can so easily spot them with just a basic binocular. Always fun to show that to people.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:21 am 

:shock: Imberbe, can you share some info with us as where to keep an eye out for the moons. I have yet to see them, please.

The Kruger Park..a place that is close at heart

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:37 am 

They are really easy to spot. Take a binocular and look at Jupiter. You ought to be able to easily see four of its moons. They are little pricks of light just below or just above Jupiter. Really close. It looks as if they are in a single orbit, seemingly in a straight line.

What makes it even more fun is that they move about. Sometimes more are above, then more below Jupiter. At times some are behind Jupiter, hiding them from view.

Unlike the rings of Saturn - which are magnificent - you do not need a telescope. So it is easily accessible to any person watching the stars. :thumbs_up:

BTW Jupiter is currently easy to spot in SA. It is the second brightest object in the night skies, next to the moon. It is also visible close to the moon at the moment.

So ... a novices delight! :dance:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:31 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Great topic bently. I have to admit, I have found the most facinating stuff in Kruger, things that I could look at for hours. But the tremendous african nights, when the moon is gone, and all the amazing stars is something I cannot stop to look at......

On the recent backpack trail, I had a few 'star gazing' lessons. VERY interesting, and everytime I see the Southern Cross, it remembers me of that wonderful second night. We looked at the stars, surrounding a small fire, and apart from the night jar and scops owl, and a single hyena call, I drank in the unimaginable phenomenon of million stars...

One cannot else than stare in astonishment at the unabsorbable beauty of such a night. Only proves, how simple and small we human creatures are.

EISH :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

G@mespotter wrote:
On the recent backpack trail, I had a few 'star gazing' lessons. VERY interesting, and everytime I see the Southern Cross, it remembers me of that wonderful second night. We looked at the stars, surrounding a small fire, and apart from the night jar and scops owl, and a single hyena call, I drank in the unimaginable phenomenon of million stars...

The stars on the backpack trail are fantastic. It might be the furthest from any kind of light pollution I've ever been.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal