Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Couple of good books
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Having been on holiday I got a chance to catch up with some reading (no TV, DVD's or computers for 4 weeks - bliss :D )

A few recommendations:

The Elephant Whisperer by Lawrence Anthony (Thula Thula) - well written, easy read and very interesting (IMHO)
Whatever You do, Don't Run - written by 4 different guides (David Hood, Megan Emmett(??) - can't recall the others at this time) - a light hearted read on their experiences, with some very interesting snippets in between chapters. Not top be confused with the Peter Allen book of similar name.
The Trouble with Africa - Vic Guhrs - a well known wildlife artist who writes of his time in the Luangwa Valley in Zambia - found it a good read.
From Rhodesia to Mugabes Zimbabwe - Memories of a Game Ranger by Nick Tredger - excellent read

If anyone wants the other info I'll gather it as requested but I bought all 4 of these in CNA.

I'm just about to kick into FC Selous' Hunters Wanderings in Africa which I have'nt found in print before - the last time I read this it was an ancient copy that was falling to pieces as I read it. :huh:

Post subject: Re: Couple of good books
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:40 am 

HI Timepilot,

Some good recommendations there. I read A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa a couple of years ago and loved identifying and comparing the places he mentioned to how they are now.

tp

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes Tony, Selous' book is very interesting - comparing place names etc. is a bit of a challenge with spelling. Seems like he was'nt as good a shot as he makes out to be!!

Interesting how Mr Smith utilises quite a bit in his story A Falcon Flies??

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:22 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Tony Park wrote:
HI Timepilot,

Some good recommendations there. I read A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa a couple of years ago and loved identifying and comparing the places he mentioned to how they are now.

tp

I bought a 1970 reprint of this book for R30.00 at a flea market last Saturday. It looks like somebody bought the book but never read it, because it is still in mint condition. Something interesting, on the front cover of the book is printed "Rhodesiana", like in "Africana". I didn't know that there was something like Rhodesiana!

Last edited by Rooies on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:01 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I was really taken by "The Elephant Whisperer". I will say categoricaly that it is one of the most profoundly moving books that I have ever read.

Had a good bit of entertainment from, "Whatever you do, don't run". Lovely read for aspiring field guides and rangers.

Thanks TP, looks like a great choice.