Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:57 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
Krokodile wrote:
I forgive you WTM :lol:

I still fail to see the logic though

I am back, lets continue this discussion! :twisted:
Trails camps are in existence to accomodate trailists which chooses to venture through african landscapes in search of the smaller and finer detail that walking in the bush provides.

Now this trail camp cannot be run due to the lack of a trails ranger. It is now converted into a normal accomodation type to keep it alive as an income source.

If this doesn't make sense then I don't know what will? :lol:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This conversation could take a while, as I am not able to use the forum during the daytime when I am at work.

The trails camp was designed to be used for normal accommodation (albeit largely unadvertised) for part of the week. Only 1 trail a week was ever (to my knowledge and from what I have read on the website) planned.

Now. All the camps in Mapungubwe are unfenced and game density is nothing like in the KNP - even in the north. Most of the people visiting ARE going for the smaller things. My fave sightings whilst I was there were porcupine, parabuthus scorpion and the tiniest little jumping spider, which I just happened to notice hopping across the path outside our tent at Limpopo Forest (which only sleeps 14 in total, BTW). I can't see Mapungubwe ever becoming like the KNP popularity-wise. It's too remote and the lack of facilities will put people off as well, so (and I hope I don't have to eat my words later) I don't think you'll ever have a problem there with party animals. Also, the profit thing doesn't wash with me as there is no way they can be making a profit right now.

Bearing in mind that the park is not full of loud people with stereos pumping, wheel-spinning away from everything that doesn't match a big-5 sighting (we've all met them in the KNP, eh? :roll: ), why shouldn't perfectly good vacant accommodation be used if people request it? I'm sure that if there ever is a demand for 2 trails a week, the camp will only be used for this purpose. But until then, what is the problem?

Incidentally, I am the type of person who would love to do a trail (the beginning of this thread was my enquiry about the trail at Mapungubwe prior to my visit) but not everyone is able to - perhaps through age or infirmity. Should these people be denied a wilderness experience?

WTM - I urge you to visit (Mapungubwe, not me 8) . Your passion for the KNP is evident in your posts and I also get the impression that your love for the trails is partly based on a desire to experience something truly wild and different from most peoples experiences. The main camps in Mapungubwe will never seem as remote as the trails camps in KNP (people have to drive their own vehicles there, for a start), but they are small, beautifully blended in with their environment, quiet and give you the opportunity to observe the smaller things with or without doing a trail. Much as I love Kruger, Mapungubwe offers a completely different experience, and (I know I keep banging on and on about it) I can't believe more Saffa's haven't visited it yet. I can't wait to go back (April/May next year).

Oh yeah....and the birding is pretty damn good too! :wink:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:38 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Many thanks Krokedil for clearing so many things up for me.

Firstly I want to apologise that I have not been to Mapungubwe before. :redface: It is a sin!! :redface:

The fact that you made me aware that the trails camp was build initially for a dual purpose made me change my mind somewhat. That is ok then, but still I think that like you have said, more saffas should visit it and participate in the trails especially. I will surely plan to visit this park soon and hopefully the trails will be in full working order so that I can participate in it.

According to my understanding they have lost the services of their trails ranger due to lack of interest in this trail, which is a tragedy as trails will run dry and might even become extinct. I would love to do a trail there for the birding alone.

Thanks for your time to explain to me how things were planned to work up there. There does seem to be quite a difference between Kruger trails camps and Mapungubwe trails camp indeed and I apologise for not realising that.

Aahhhh birding, I have to go there!! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:15 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Krokodile wrote:
I can't see Mapungubwe ever becoming like the KNP popularity-wise. It's too remote and the lack of facilities will put people off as well, so (and I hope I don't have to eat my words later)

I think you might eat your words a bit, but probably only in 20 years time. Currently, there are still border fences up. The South African side of the park is still small and split into 2, with a long dusty road in between. They haven't reintroduced lion yet, and don't think they will introduce Buffalo. The park is still very, very new.

I have watched the development of Addo. It has already taken a long time and they still have a long, long way to go before they reach their dream. But, the increase in popularity of Addo has been quite amazing, and while I never think it will knock KNP off the number one position, it is becoming a contender.

Mapungubwe is at least 5 years behind Addo in terms of development, but what they have achieved in a short time is really really great.

But, don't wait for 20 years until it becomes really fabulous, go now, before everyone else discovers it, and enjoy the solitude :!:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:18 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Well news for all, is that Mapungubwe will eventually become part of the GLTP, thus becoming part of Kruger.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:25 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:
Well news for all, is that Mapungubwe will eventually become part of the GLTP, thus becoming part of Kruger.

I'm assuming you mean "becoming part of Kruger" administratively, not physically? Or are there plans for there to be enough parkland between the areas as they exist now for them to be somehow physically connected? Hard to imagine :shock:

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:

Can you divulge your sources on this, WTM? I just can't picture this at all considering the number of farms and communities which are between the KNP and Mapungubwe on the SA side alone. It would make financial sense to incorporate the park into Kruger if the land was available, but I think it would be a shame to lose Mapungubwe's individuality.

I'm feeling guilty now, WTM - hope you didn't think I was lecturing you :redface:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:05 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

I think WTM might refer to the new Limpopo Shashe Transfrontier Park.
[edit] And I just found this: the Golden Horseshoe
Interesting.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Oh, I knew about that :lol:

I can't wait, actually. The only bit I disliked about Mapungubwe was the border fence!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:44 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
No offense taken Krok, I do need some education every now and then. My wife provides some good practises, by keeping me on the couch at night. :lol:

Thanks for the link Gwennie! :wink:

Imagine this Mega Park extending all the way to the Kgalaghadi? Wouldn't that be awesome?! :D

I hope to post some more of this Mega Park in the future...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:14 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

wildtuinman wrote:
Imagine this Mega Park extending all the way to the Kgalaghadi? Wouldn't that be awesome?! :D

Imagine this mega park taking up all of Sub Saharan Africa. A wild dream, I know, but it's cool to dream. I call it, my heaven dream :wink:

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:34 am 

Does anybody know if a map of Lekwe camp does exist?
I booked a family cottage in March and I’d like to know where they are situated in the camp, also if they are enough remote from the others.

South Africa again in November 2012. A week in the Kruger and more...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I found THIS map. Hope this helps papop and some info on Mapungubwe. :lol:

West Coast National Park 22 November 2009

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:47 am 

Thanks Curtis. I found it too. I’ve already visited all the pages about Mapungubwe on the site.
This map is not as detailed as the ones we can find on kruger camps pages.
Maybe San Park will put soon a lekwe camp map on the site?

South Africa again in November 2012. A week in the Kruger and more...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Papop - There were hardly any other people staying at Mapungubwe when we were there, so hopefully you will be lucky and have a nice quiet time.

We never went to the Lekwe camp. We stayed at the trails camp, which had been designed so that each balcony was completely private.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next