Skip to Content

Golden Gate: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderator: lion queen

lam
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby lam » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:27 pm

leopardspotter wrote:We were the January, and the weather was perfect for hikeing and definetly for the waterfall it was +-35 degrees 8) . I have never been there in the very cold conditions.

Is it nice in the cold winter time, to visit the park :?: :?:

It wasn't cold when we were there. It had snowed a day or so before we got there, so it must hav been cold then, but we went walking in shorts. It was quite wierd to wear shorts in snow. It got cooler as we got higher, but was never cold.
Kruger - July

Oumie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Oumie » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:01 pm

leopardspotter wrote:Can you please tell me what time of the year does the snow normally fall??? (months)

We were there in the beginning of July :)
Reservation made for April and May :D

j-ms
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby j-ms » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:20 pm

Snow in SA is very unpredictable. We were at GG in late October 2000 - in the snow. The snow was only higher up the slopes, although within easy walking of distance of the van Reenen campsite.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:23 pm

uptowngirl wrote:Hi everyone, my first time on here. we are planning our first trip to KNP .......... any advice on what is do-able (eg Golden gate) afterwards?

Hi uptowngirl,
I saw your posting for the first time today where you asked about Golden Gate.
Golden Gate is really a very special place if you are looking for walks and short hikes. It also gives a different perspective of the country. The sand stone is really something special. I once heard the Eastern Free State described as our country's best kept secret.
If your main object is game viewing then it might not be the most productive.
I have stayed there a number of occasions and find it magic, but then it has been when my main objective has been walking and hiking.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

bucky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bucky » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:43 pm

Yes golden gate is quite nice , especially for its range of fairly easy walks , which are not "easy and boring" , but have brill views .
As far as game viewing goes , it is mainly antelopes to be seen ,
with unusual ones like oribi there also .

lam
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby lam » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:34 am

Special birds include the Bearded Vulture - a must see, even for non-birders
Kruger - July

LisaSeattle

Caledonspoort Gate to Golden Gate?

Unread postby LisaSeattle » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:08 pm

Can someone tell me what is the driving time from the Butha Buthe / Caledonspoort Gate to Golden Gate Park?

We will be in Lesotho (I was a Peace Corps Volunteer there and will be visiting the village I lived in near Butha Buthe) and I am thinking we can go out that border crossing to the Park - but I need to know how long a drive that is ...

Thanks!

CurtisDillon
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby CurtisDillon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:45 pm

Hi LisaSeattle and welcome to the forum! :lol:
It is about 55km (35miles) from Butha Buthe to The Golden Gate National Park via Clarens. It should take you about half an hour to get there, but you will still have to go through the border crossing from Lesotho to South Africa and that could take a while. :shock: All in all, I would safely say an hour to get to Golden Gate. :lol:

Enjoy your trip! :thumbs_up:
Conservation is the lifeblood of nature!

West Coast National Park 22 November 2009

BunduBoi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby BunduBoi » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:05 pm

has the qwa qwa reserve been fully incorporated into golden gate highlands np yet? and if so, what are the plans for it, projects etc?
MEMBER OF THE WILD DOG FAN CLUB

luislang
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby luislang » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:54 am

Hi BB
Don't know whether you've received info on this yet, but this is what I read in the latest "Weg" wildlife mag
Although GG & Qwa-Qwa nature reserve has been officially 1 new nas park since 2003, in practice the park are still being run by 2 authorities ie. SanParks & the dept of enviromental affairs of the Free State. Apparently the snag are between the Free State prov gvmt & the local Basotho people which lives in the Qwa-Qwa area. Sanparks apparently says they are waiting for the province to find a solution.

This is resulting in another delay for the important establishment of the Maloti-Drakensberg transfrontier park between SA & Lesotho.

(Translated in short)
The golden rule of life - Do unto others as you want done unto yourself

gwendolen
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby gwendolen » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:43 pm

reinette
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Golden Gate Plants

Unread postby reinette » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:58 pm

They had an insert on the SABC news about 15 fynbos species in the Free State province and named Golden Gate as one of the places where one can find it.
According to the broadcast, it is in bloom this time of year in white, pink and purple.
I'm searching for more info, but not much luck yet...

GVI Golden Gate

Unread postby GVI Golden Gate » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:23 am

Sable wrote:1) We want to buy the SAN Parks wild card at Golden Gate. Can we get it there and do they take credit cards?

The answer here is yes to both. You can get Wild Cards here, and the reception takes credit cards. There is also a mini-ATM available for South African bank cards at Glen Reenen.

Sable also wrote:2) What is the usual weather in November at Golden Gate?

November is early summer, so we'll be nice and warm (high 20s, early 30's), cooling off in the evenings. Bring layerable clothes, a hat and some rain gear - summer brings thunder storms most afternoons.

Freda

Unread postby Freda » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:48 pm

Hi Mark,
I spent last weekend at Highlands Mountain Retreat and loved it, the scenery is amazing and it is a hikers paradise.
I tried to do a trip report but the pic sites are giving me problems :cry:
You will love it! Here are three pics I managed to load one way or another :wink:
Animals are a bit scarce but was great for birding, got lots of 'lifers' 8)
View from reception at Glen Reenen.
I have a small map which I will scan in at work on Monday.

Also look here.

GVI Golden Gate

Unread postby GVI Golden Gate » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:34 am

MARK CHOWLES wrote:Does anyone have a map?

Hi Mark,

If you can send me a private message with a fax number, I can fax you the tourist map of the park.

I'm going to try and get the map scanned and onto the website as well - you're a good source of ideas, Mark!

When you visit in the holidays, there should be a great Holiday Programme running as well - daily guided walks and activities. Info will be available at reception when you arrive.

The park is looking stunning right now - with the recent rains, the veld is turning an amazing variety of greens again, and just saw red hartebeests and 2 grey rheboks from my doorstep this morning!

Return to “Northern Parks”