Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:21 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

A big tusker! That most likely will be either Timaka or Tshilonde?

I have no link to your boyfriend on the forum. :wink:

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Re: Shingwedzi Rest Camp
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:33 pm 

Last weekend took on eof those spur of the moment, mental health breaks - like if we don't get to Kruger now, we won't survive breaks :) - and the only accommodation we could get was Shingwedzi. What a wonderful weekend :D .

We haven't stayed in Shingwedzi for ages as a result of an elephant phobia that we have developed but we had a wonderful time (and did not see a single elephant on the Kanniedood road which made all the difference!). The new bungalows are wonderful - so spacious and love the big verandah and paved area by the braai. It was also amazzingly quiet for a full camp for 2 of the 3 nights - we won't say anything about the third night!

We spent hours in some of the loops off the Kanniedood road without seeing a single soul -how precious. Highlight of the trip was probably the barn owl that we saw flying around the camp one afternoon, obviously having been disturbed from its roost (a lifer for us) - and the impala lilies in flower in the camp.

We're glad we were forced to have re-claimed Shingwedzi!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:27 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The road from Shing to Kanniedood hide is a well known big 5 road, with rhino the scarcest here!
The riverine forest has some majestic old trees. Look up into them and you might see leopard and even a python!
The red rocks road is also quite productive, and RR are quite spectacular.
Find the 'back gate' and use it, although there is often activity on the road between the main road and camp.
I always enjoy the pool.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:07 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Quickie wrote:
Hi Roaneric,

We love Shingwedzi and have only stayed in the BD5 units. They are in a circle facing inward. None of them are facing the fence. The units are 2 together, but we have never had trouble with noise from neighbors. Yes, you hear when they open a tap etc., but I did not find it disturbing. Ask for numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6. They are away from the road from reception to the staff quarters. Nrs 1 and 2 are wheelchair units and can be used if not booked by somebody in a wheelchair. With your children in mind, I would recommend nr 1, because there are only neighbors on 1 side.

Enjoy your stay! It is my favorite camp.

Regards

Quickie, thanks so much. Will try to get one that is NOT next to the big road. Do you have a photo of the BD5? And If I look at the map, do I see it right, is number 30 and 31 not next to a big road, or closer to the fence? Where about is the staff village? On the side of the pool? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:25 pm 

Hi Roaneric,

The busy road is the one running from the traffic circle below reception between the two circles of bungalows to the bottom of the map. At the bottom there actually is a gate exiting the camp to the staff quarters, but it is not shown because tourists may not use it. Units 30 and 31 are close to the fence, but not facing the fence. You can move your chairs and braai to the back of the unit and face the fence. I can recommend them, because the access road to them ends in a dead-end, so no through traffic. It looks as though units 17 to 26 are along the fence, but there are also staff tents and buildings between the road behind those units and the fence, not shown on the map. (If I remember correctly!) As far as I know, only unit 29, FF4, is a loose standing unit. All the other units are 2 together, although they are shown separately on the map.

Unfortunately I do not have photos, :redface: but if you click on "Availability", "Kruger National Park", "Shingwedzi", you'll find photos of all the units. (I'm technologically challenged as well - cannot add a link!)

I'm getting so excited :lol: talking about Shingwedzi, it almost feels as if I'm planning a trip!! :dance: I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay, no matter which unit you get.

Regards

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:51 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
In February I was in No 28, (DB2D) just in front of the fence... and very near the Estern gate

Image bungalow no 28

Image the fence, at the bottom right exit Est

Image view from the kitchen

Image .....

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:57 am 

This photo was taken from the high water bridge outside Shingwedzi on 30 December 2008

Next day, same spot

Low water bridge near the back gate

Rain in camp

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

alf wrote:
I was there beginning of January and if i can remember correctly only the BD2 units in circle A have been renovated but a lot of people complained that the new units don't cool down in the summer months because they have the new tiled roof.

As far as I can recall the BD2 units allways had tiled roofs .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:09 am 

Circle A...do the bungalows look inwards...into the circle? Or do the units 17-26 have a view over the road towards the fence?
I am trying to figure out which unit I should request in Shingwedzi....don't have a clue....(we booked a BD5).
Can anyone help?

24/11 - 27/11 Lower Sabie
28/11 - 1/12 Olifants
2/12 - 5/12 Skukuza
x
9/12 - 11/12 Pretoriuskop
12/12 - 18/12 Satara
19/12 - 22/12 Berg-en-Dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Rooikat , all the units look inwards , no views , unless you rent the Rentmeester (?) - may have a new name - guesthouse .
Some campsites have a view over the fence , why not consider renting a camper vehicle or a "ute" (bakkie) and a fully equipped camping trailer for a wilder experience , or nearby Sirheni or Bateleur bushveld camps for a slightly more peacefull stay ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:33 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
last year I rented No 29...(BD2D) which have a fence view (like the 27 and the 28). We have to go through eastern gate, immediately on the left side (or main entrance and through all the camp... and right side)

Image view from the kitchen

Image the special entrance

Last edited by anne-marie on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:42 pm 

Rooikat ,

We have been in BD5 two years ago and last year , first year in unit n°3 and last year in unit number 25 .Both are on circle A .
I have prefered unit N°3 , may be it seems more recent :hmz: :hmz:
Though there was very few vegetation around the unit , i saw a lot of birds all around .
Unit 17-26 are further from the shop , reception , restaurant and deck looking over the river bed ...but not far away , Shingwedzi is not Skukuza and you don't have so much to walk :)
Here some pics from unit 25 , with" the little garden in front "

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:08 am 

Rooikat ,

Here is a pic from bungalows n°3 ( right ) and n°4 ( left )

View on the circle ...

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Rooikat wrote:
Do you think that no.30's kitchen will have a view into the bush as no.29?
Also, is it not bothersome to be close to housekeeping (situated between no.31 and no.1)?

I stayed in no. 30 twice last year. It's a nice unit. You have one neighbour closeby (no. 31) but the other units are not so close. There are some trees and a bird bath just outside the verandah. :)

It looks inwards but you can see a very little piece of the fence from your verandah if you don't park your vehicle in the way. :wink:

Housekeeping didn't bother me but I was out driving all day, so I can't tell if there was any noise from housekeeping during the day.

Just be careful not to lock yourself out. We managed to lock ourselves out in the evening (no staff around) and had to break into our bungalow with the help of braai tongs. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:19 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

September is indeed a dry month, guess possibly the driest, depending when the rain arrives. Anyway, generally mostly the plains game (zebras, gnu's tec.) and elephants move south to my knowledge, the rest will stick to main permanent water sources.

I would say it the luck of the dry, but try to stick to rivers routes following permanent water sources. That said, it might help to speak to local guides (like Matthew) in Shingwedzi, they know their area well :)

Also, shingwedzi is along my FAVORITE loop in Kruger, the Mphongolo loop. I would say, try to include a night a Punda Maria, and the visit Pafuri picnic spot, and the wonderful s63 dustroad there.

The area is quite different than south. Unlike at Lower-Sabie or Skukuza, wildlife get's more difficult to spot. However, this area gives one a chance to search for the smallers/scarcer stuff (eg. roan/eland/njala/grysbok) and to enjoy the smaller things. PLEASE, do not set your expectations too high, yet you may still become very lucky!

Shingwedzi has some awesome newly renovated units (see my trip report on the area: The Beauty of Nature Revealed II. Letaba ranks as one of my favorite camps (probably THE favorite) so YES go NORTH :D

There's never a wrong choice :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next