SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Abnormal Mammal Photo's
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:shock: that is very strange, thanks RP :thumbs_up:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:26 pm 

Some of these pics are so sad :( are the horns a genetic defect? :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:56 pm 
Welcome, Back To Nature!

There is some debate as to whether deformed horns may be caused by "childhood injuries", so to speak, or by genes!

Obviously the eland had a genetic problem, with 3 horns, and the nasty part is the horns penetrate the skull as they grow in that direction...

A similar problem was found with an Impala some years ago...will try to find the pic! :?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:44 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Rp

Your last picture is of a normal juvinile male Nyala. They are born the same colour as the females and slowly darken as they age. If you look at the ridge on the back you will see a distinct male/female difference - the white is begining to show on the black.

The theory that makes the most sense to me on this phenominan has to do with two interesting Nyala behaviours

The young stay with their mothers for a long time - sometimes you will see a female with three different ages on young with her.

The males have a dominance system that seems in part to have to do with size and colour markings kicking in the "dance" that moves the weaker ones away.

The theory is that the young are born coloured the same as their mothers to avoid being "moved out" by the big males.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:39 pm 
Thanks very much, Jeanus!

I agree the young are similar.

What I should perhaps have added is that this individual was pretty much full "ewe-size", so the darkening and horn growth should be moving pretty fast by now! :wink:

Maybe the "whitening is also genetically related"...

Take your point, though...will see if someone can see her this year!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Interesting topic, this. I hope this hasen't been posted in previous pages, for I am lazy and haven't read each one...
:hmz: I was wondering if these 'mutations' have resulted in ( in some cases) being such a detriment as to kill the animal?. I understand such deformities would /could hamper foraging for food or mates etc. I was more interested if the horn or whatever abnormality would actually cause a self inflicted wound :shock: or perhaps impede eating habits etc. leading to starvation. :redface:
I hope that's not a stupid question...but find the topic facinating :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:17 pm 
Hey, Lockie!

If you went ONE page further back you would see the eland horn did in fact grow back, and it is assumed slowly entered the skull! :shock:

The impala I mentioned definitely died because of this! :?

There is also an old buffalo cow pic somewhere...a Kruger cow having abnormal horns hanging to the ground that eventually led her to lose condition because of not being able to eat properly. Interestingly, she had the "record" for buffalo horn length, but obviously not recognised! 8)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:33 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Buffalo cow? Not recognised as a record? Richprins, I'd be interested to hear more about that. I think Rowland Ward has changed their system to not accept cows any more, and also their measurement and rating to actually try and promote taking of old past-prime bulls instead of young bulls. However, the record in the 1993 version of their Sportman's Handbook still has as No. 1 the COW shot in the Manyara area of Tanzania in 1946, with a length of 64", or 162.5 cm. The second place is a bull, "only" 59 3/8" or 150.8cm. Not sure what that bull measured that died there a couple of years ago. I just checked and it is still listed as the record. One thing that sets Rowland Ward apart from other record books is that they do accept pickups, and there's actually a number of pickups that are top-ranked.

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Last edited by bishop3006 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Most unique sightings and stories
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:25 pm 

One of my favorite things to do when visiting a park is to ask ranger or guide whats one of the most unique or one of there best sightings. There replies normaly of something amazing for example when visiting kgalagadi a guide told me about a pangolin crossing the road right infront of him only to have its head bitten of by a lion. I thaught it would be a good idea for us to share some of our most unique stories and sightings, may it be your own or one you have heard of.

Post subject: Re: Most unique sightings and stories
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:12 am 

Hi there

We were in the Kruger Park around June 16 and spotted a strange looking antelope in the Berg en Dal / Malelane area. It was about the size of a Duiker and completely white except for light brown markings around the ears and brown eyes. Please let me know how to upload photos, must be blonde but I can't figure it out! Would love to have this identified. Just hope its not a goat that wondered into the Park - that would be a real anti-climax!

Last edited by marjolein on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Batsman wrote:
Most uncommon sighting?

I've seen a brown hyena in mid Kruger in 2004 crossing the road in front of our car, while the others were watching some lions far away in the back.

No pics, sorry.

From what I gather you are one of the very few, and very lucky, ones that have seen brown hyena in KNP.
Do you remember the position/route you were on?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:34 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

marjolein wrote:

Thanks! Ok tried that, lets see if this works!

I'd go for a goat, the only animal that might just look similar is an albino impala. I noticed it has horns.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:17 pm 

'Goat' from another angle

Image[/img]

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:51 pm 

:redface: Okay here the face looks like a buck :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

cel wrote:
It does look like a buck from angle #2. Think a goats horns are thicker and shorter. Also has the shape of a duiker...??? :doh:

On first pic looked like a goat but with this second one I'm having some doubts and does look like some sort of duiker.
Its difficult to tell its height from I'd guess about 50-60 cm.

Wonder if it was spotted again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next