Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 2644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 177  Next
 Post subject: Re: True or False? (RV)
Unread postPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Avatar of the Year (2012)
A) A Giraffe is able to go longer without water than a Camel.

B) Orchids can make a Bee drunk.

C) Putting a small amount of alcohol on a Scorpion's back will cause
it to go crazy and sting itself to death.

D) Elephants can mimic sounds.

E) The young of the Spotted Ragged Tooth shark fight each other to
death before birth leaving only the strongest to survive.
Other names for this specific shark are:
Grey Nurse shark (Australia)
Sand Tiger Shark (US & UK)

Please motivate answers where applicable.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A) TRUE: A Giraffe is able to go longer without water than a Camel.
The giraffe can drink 12 gallons of water in one sitting but can go for long periods without drinking at all. It only drinks water every 2 to 3 days when it is available and can go for weeks without drinking any water at all. It obtains water from dew on the leaves, as well as from the water content of the leaves themselves. A camel can "only" go 15 days without water.

B)TRUE: Orchids can make a Bee drunk.
Some plants reportedly rely on using intoxicating chemicals to produce inebriated bees, and use this inebriation as part of their reproductive strategy.One plant that some claim uses this mechanism is the South American bucket orchid (Coryanthes sp.), an epiphyte. The bucket orchid attracts male euglossine bees with its scent, derived from a variety of aromatic compounds. The bees store these compounds in specialized spongy pouches inside their swollen hind legs, as they appear to use the scent (or derivatives thereof) in order to attract females.

C)TRUE: Putting a small amount of alcohol on a Scorpion's back will cause it to go crazy and sting itself to death.

I have no idea, but it sounds crazy enough to be true. Perhaps an old wives tale? Or perhaps you thought this one up while under the influence of a "small amount of alcohol"? (Kidding)

D)TRUE: Elephants can mimic sounds

E)TRUE: The young of the Spotted Ragged Tooth shark fight each other to
death before birth leaving only the strongest to survive.

Because baby tiger shark embryos develop at different stages, the resulting offspring compete with each other before the mother gives birth. The largest, with teeth already developed, ends up consuming all of the other eggs and embryos. Exemplifying survival of the fittest, this larger embryo then develops to become the mother’s sole offspring.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:30 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
That's amazing!

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A) True
B) True
C) False

A scorpion cannot kill itself, it is immune to it's own venom. As scorpions are cold blooded, exposed to intense heat, their metabolic process malfunctions causing them to spasm wildly. This could appear as if it is stinging itself. If you google this, it is stated as true in quite a few places, however it needs further research.

D) True. An orphaned elephant named 'Mlaika' would mimic the sound of
trucks passing by. Also in a swiss zoo an adult african elephant mimicked
the chirping sounds of the aisian elephants it was kept with and stopped
making the deep rumbling sounds of the african elephants.

E) True. Just something to add to Africat's explanation, these female sharks actually have 2 uteri allowing one baby shark in each to survive.
An interesting fact is that there are reports of biologists probing the
bellies of landed females and having their fingers bitten by the cannibalistic little blighters and there fully developed teeth :twisted:

Thanks Africat, your answers were great, so you are IT :D

Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Siobain, nice questions!

Africat - those were excellent explanations with the answers. Thank you.

Quote:
A Giraffe is able to go longer without water than a Camel.
The giraffe can drink 12 gallons of water in one sitting but can go for long periods without drinking at all. It only drinks water every 2 to 3 days when it is available and can go for weeks without drinking any water at all. It obtains water from dew on the leaves, as well as from the water content of the leaves themselves. A camel can "only" go 15 days without water.

I don't want to attack you two on the answers, but I've often wondered about this sort of comparison. Is this really comparing apples with apples? Or is it comparing apples and oranges? I've not researched this (my Southern African mammal books are a bit short on info on camels... :tongue: ), but am merely wondering. Are we speaking about camels and giraffes in their natural habitat in the wild? Or are we speaking about wild giraffes and tame camels?

The reason I say that is, if one looks at the reasons why giraffe don't have to drink is that they get moisture from their food. Fair enough, I can live with that.

But what about the camels? Camels in a wagon train - how much moisture is there in the hay they get? And the other food that is available? If the food they eat had the same moisture content as that which the giraffe eat, would the above still hold?

Anybody knows? Enquiring mind is wondering... (Not wandering. Well, maybe not...)

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:00 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A debate is always fun bishop, this is food for thought. The
way you have put it, i think it does come down to the diet.
A giraffe's diet is far more succulent than a camel's and i can imagine
the hay a camel is fed or the food he would have to find for himself in the desert would have far less moisture in it. Arguably the camel could be the winner here.

good point. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:03 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

bishop3006,
I'll have to leave those inquiries to someone way more informed about those issues. I hope someone does clarify your inquiries, as I would be very interested to know more myself.

Now on to a few inquiries I do know the answers to: T or F ?

1.) Mopani worms are superior to beef not only because they can be stored for months, but because they also contain 2 times the protein content, by unit weight, as beef.

2.) Albatrosses can stay out to sea for months on end because they not only have ample fish and squid available, but can sleep on the water, and have built-in desalinization plants so they can drink the ocean water.

3.) The following are ALL true about the baobab tree:
* The white pulp of the fruits contain vitamin C and cream of tartar.
*The leaves can be boiled down and eaten as a vegetable.
*Ash from the burnt wood can be a substitute for salt.
*The hard wood of its gangly branches make fine walking sticks.

4.) Lesser bushbabies (Galago moholi) can clear a full 2.5 meters - that is around 17 times the length of its own body!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:45 am 
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
1.) Mopani worms are superior to beef not only because they can be stored for months, but because they also contain 2 times the protein content, by unit weight, as beef.
FALSE. They can be stored for months because they are dried; however, they contain three times as much protein as beef, weight for weight.

2.) Albatrosses can stay out to sea for months on end because they not only have ample fish and squid available, but can sleep on the water, and have built-in desalinization plants so they can drink the ocean water.
It depends how you look at this one to see if it is true or false. However, I'm going to say TRUE, for the following reasons: they do have ample food available which they catch on the wing; they do eject super-concentrated saline through a gland in their nostrils; and they can sleep on the water. However, it could be false because they do not usually sleep on the water due to vulnerability to marine predators; most of them therefore sleep while gliding.

3.) The following are ALL true about the baobab tree:
* The white pulp of the fruits contain vitamin C and cream of tartar.
TRUE
*The leaves can be boiled down and eaten as a vegetable.
FALSE. Leaves are mainly used as condiments and medicinal treatments. It is the pods that produce nutritional pulp.
*Ash from the burnt wood can be a substitute for salt.
FALSE. Some trees in Africa are burnt to extract salt, but I could find no reference to this for the baobab.
*The hard wood of its gangly branches make fine walking sticks.
FALSE. Baobab wood is fibrous and spongy, not hard.

So, the answer FALSE, because not all of the baobab statements are true!
4.) Lesser bushbabies (Galago moholi) can clear a full 2.5 meters - that is around 17 times the length of its own body!
Again could be true or false. However, I'll go with TRUE because it can clear around 17 times its own body length in a single jump. The reason I said it could be false is because a previous quiz question cited that it could jump up to 33 times its body length!

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:09 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

own...Mopani worms do contain 3x the protein...spot on!
Albatrosses are able to sleep on the water...spot on!
Re: baobab - my source says the leaves can be boiled and eaten as a vegetable...would appreciate more input on this one. However, you were exactly right on the "trick" part concerning being a hard wood. NOT!
Bushbaby question, as usual, spot on AGAIN...it is 33 x their length. If I had read all the other quizzes, I wouldn't have posted that, but since I did, and you are way too informed for me...TAG, you're IT!!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:52 pm 

T or F?

Giraffe are silent.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

False Though normally silent, calves bleat and make
a mewing call, cows seeking lost calves bellow, and courting bulls also make
sounds, they also give alarm snorts as well as other sounds have been reported.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

True or False:

A) Hedgehogs hibernate throughout the winter.

B) Thick tailed Bushbabies are solitary animals and will only
socialize before mating.

C) The scales of a Pangolins tail are sharp and formidable weapons.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:42 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

False
True
True

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:48 pm 

a. True? (Depending on how technical you want to be. They actually go in to torpor, and can come out of it in case of heightened temperatures, etc. True hibernation is yet to be confirmed.)

b. False

c. True

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I was wanting the technical. My book states they enter a state of semi-hibernation, which is not as profound as with some other animals. In unseasonable rains or warmer periods the sleepy animals could venture out.
They may even eat a little, but not with the gusto of their usual summer feeding. So i was looking for false as the answer. (Do we have the same book again Imberbe ?) :lol: The other two are also correct. :thumbs_up:

You are IT.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 177  Next