Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Book ID possible?
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:24 pm 

Hi all:

Maybe 15 or 20 years ago I read a book about a guy who had come to SA as a sickly child, from England, with his mother and stepfather during "the war" - but for the life of me I can't remember which war.
He didn't go to school formally much since he was 'sickly' - and he just preferred to stay home and read and wander the bush.
Before he was too much older he was starting to spend more and more time in the bush, and had some extensive times living with groups who weren't used to having any contact with Europeans.
He got a name from them, which I also forget, but had something to do with his ability to handle any snakes without them trying to harm him.
He also brought back some very good artifacts for the museum (Jozie??) but he actually gave them to a prof he knew at the Uni. Also corrected some of the mistaken info about the artifacts they already had, as he'd seen them used
It was a fascinating book, and I'd love to read it again, if anyone can give me a lead on the title or author.
Thanks so much
~m