Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Springbok in Addo
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

When I was in Addo last year, a staff member in charge of the camping ground (he lived in a caravan), told me that they had tried to introduce some springbok from the University of Port Elizabeth in the main game viewing area, but that they had died of tick-related diseases shortly afterwards... I think it would be lovely to have some springbok in the main game viewing area, and have suggested that they swap some `local' springbok from neighbouring farms ( if available) for Addo wildlife that is in abundance... Also suggested using tick repellents similar to what vets use for dogs -- the stuff on the spine that lasts a few months, or a tick collar that would also last a few months till the animals were immune...

Just trying for more diversity!

By the way, is it worth travelling all the way to Darlington Dam (if you don't have a 4x4) to see wildlife? i.e. is there enough wildlife in this area? Sometimes the main wildlife area gets a bit heavy with all the thick bush... Will be in Addo in 10 days' time for 4 days, and again in January. Please let me know what you found in Greater Addo.

Thanks

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:44 pm 

Friedrich
Whilst there is a lot less wildlife at Darlington Lake it is very quiet and peaceful which we enjoyed.

Apart from the Springbok we saw Rhino (about 20 in the area including some young and some of the females pregnant), Buffalo (part of a breading program and close to Darlington Lodge) Wildebeest, Eland, Kudu, Bushbuck, Gemsbok and some smaller antelope type animals.

There was also plenty of birds including those on the water and some raptors.

Hope this helps
Regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks JDW

Sounds lovely, and peaceful! The Karoo is so wonderful and dawn and dusk, but pretty hot and glaring during midday...
Last question: Condition of roads, and `fishermen's cottages'?

God bless

Friedrich von Hörsten

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:02 pm 

Friedrich
Only the dirt roads ie from the entrance North of Darlington Lake to the Dam are suitable for two wheeled drive vehicle. The immediate area around the lake is pretty flat and with care a car/sedan should be OK, however in the hills and particularly if you wish to see the Rhino then a 4 x 4 vehicle is required.
We stayed at Darlington Lodge which is fantastic and booked early morning and evening game drives. The guide, Peter was excellent.
I am unaware of the fishermans cottages.
Kind regards
JDW

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:47 pm 
Guru
Guru

The fisherman's cottages are very rustic and basic cottages near the dam wall. They can be hired from SANParks but if you are looking for a bit more comfort, then Darlington Lake Lodge is a better option.

There are not developed tourist road loops in the Darlington area so most of your game viewing would be around the dam. The Lodge also offers boat cruises on the Dam. The dam is wonderful for bird watching as you can see flamingo, terns and gulls (in the karoo!) as well as fish eagles and other water birds.

Post subject: Re: Addo: Animals
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:56 pm 

I have just spent 30 mins typing a long story and up loading 2 pics and pressed submit and bomb out...I thought we were past all these problems :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyway here is an abbreviated version

Saw a Caracal today at noon after missing the 06h15 Kalahari and Tsama sighting at Spekboom at the same time as I was sitting at Colchester Gate waiting endlessly on my own for the LATE 07h00 unrealistic Addo Summer opening time which doesnt change Summer or Winter for Day visitors!!!(Kruger 05h30 for Day Visitors in Summer)

An old couple said they saw a strange animal like a Steenbok cross the road (At the end of Waynes Valley) and drove off. I waited and listened for over 10 mins then this Caracal appeared in the road briefly and went back and I drove the 100 metres to the spot and found it only just visible looking away. It Finally looked at me and I got this shot..It then Walked away playing cat and mouse with me before I got a 2nd shot ...Lovely animal and proves Michele Caracal's theory that you can sleep in to 11h00 and see Caracal as this was taken at 12h00

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Last edited by Peter Betts on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:00 pm 

Peter Betts wrote:
I have just spent 30 mins typing a long story and up loading 2 pics and pressed submit and bomb out...I thought we were past all these problems :evil: :evil: :evil:

We are past the problems Peter :D

There was an announcement made - perhaps you missed it? If you follow those steps there, all will be perfect :thumbs_up:

Link to announcement

There is also presently a red note running across each page to direct everyone to the announcement.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:50 pm 

I always love the Jackal and they are truly beautiful with the most exciting call at night

Tamboti Oct 1,2,3,4
Biyamiti Oct 5,6,7,8

FGASA Local Area Guide

Nikon D700 FX, Nikkor 24-70 G f2.8, Nikkor 70-200VR f2.8, Nikkor 200-400 VR f4, Nikon 1.4 & 1.7 Convertors

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We saw something we've never seen before on 15 Dec. Two black backed jackal took on a almost grown juvenile spottie right in front of the camp +- 19:00 and with great noise and yapping at the heels drove it off for about 100m where we lost site of the spottie. The 2 BBJ's then returned to the waterhole. I never thought a BBJ would be so brave!

Post subject: Mongoose and Genet
Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I see large grey mongoose and large spotted genet are listed on Addo's mammal list. In waht part of Addo can they be found?

Also, Oribi is not listed. Did the reintroduction not happen or not work?

Post subject: Re: Mongoose and Genet
Unread postPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:02 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

HI lam - I have seen the spotted Genet 4 times in the caravan park. Last time I caravaned on tent site 27,at the end of the road between the safari tents and caravan sites, the blighter stole my borewors off the table before I could braai the wors. it was only at 6:30 in the evening.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:21 am 

Good to see you on the forums again lam :dance:

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:49 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi lam,

Large grey mongoose has been seen in the main game area but you can consider it a rare visitor as it has not been seen often. Large grey mongoose has been seen in the Kabouga area of the Park.

Oribi should be on the species list. Thanks for pointing out its absence - I'll rectify that. You can only see oribi in the Langvlakte contractual area in Woody Cape.

WarthogB, the genet you see in the caravan park is usually the small-spotted genet. This is the common species in the main game area.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:00 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WarthogB wrote:
HI lam - I have seen the spotted Genet 4 times in the caravan park.

Was the small spotted genet or large spotted genet?

Ah Megan beat me to it and I cant delete this post.

Last edited by lam on Mon May 25, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Addo Elephant wrote:
Hi lam,

Large grey mongoose has been seen in the main game area but you can consider it a rare visitor as it has not been seen often. Large grey mongoose has been seen in the Kabouga area of the Park.

I must go back to Kabouga again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 38  Next