[ 958 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: Insect Quiz (RV)
Unread postPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ladybird, ladybird, fly away home
Your house is on fire and your children are gone
All except one, and that's Little Anne
For she has crept under the warming pan.

How come we call ladybugs "ladybugs"?

In the olden days, British farmers prayed to the Virgin Mary for help with their crops. Then ladybugs arrived and helped the farmers by eating crop-eating bugs and saved farmers' crops. In honor of these bugs, the farmers called the beetles "Our Lady's beetle", which turned into ladybug.

OWN - for persistence, it's your turn! :clap: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:58 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Give 3 benefits to the ecosystem that dung beetles contribute.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:35 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

1. As super efficient vacuum cleaners, they help control the spread of harmful bacteria and other disease vectors.

2. They destroy the eggs of parasites that, left intact, would find their way into the intestines of antelope and other herbivores.

3. They distribute natural fertilizer as they disperse dung, returning precious fecal nitrogen to the earth.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:47 am 
One and two are similar, I'd say: restriction of the spread of disease vectors. Another benefit is their tunnels, which aerate the ground and improve water run-off.

But, good enough for me, AFRICAT! :clap: :clap:
You're IT! :thumbs_up:

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Talk about unlikely couples!

The female lives in a mobile home, and appears to have a life-long, severe case of agoraphobia. Many are blind, and most, if not all, have no legs. And tho' you can't tell a book by its cover, you can draw many conclusions by the type house she lives in.

The males, well, they just wanna have fun, so they don't waste time on minor details...such as eating, for example.

When he finds "the one" for him, he goes up to her house, she opens a window, and makes herself available to lover boy, but won't let him in the house, nor go out with him.

After becoming pregnant, both Romeo and Juliet shrivel up and die, leaving the kids blowing in the wind....

(And you thought your family had a weird uncle!) What's the insect?

Unread postPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:51 am 
:funny:

Sounds like some cocoon left behind :hmz: ?? Maybe a butterfly of sorts?

Unread postPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:32 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

You're on the right track!

Unread postPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:52 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I was thinking of a broekmannetjie. And I have NO IDEA what that is called in English - pants man? :mrgreen: That worms that builds a silk nest with sticks all around it for protection. But it was just a thought as I don't have a clue, and if I was to hazard it as a guess I just have the very small chance of being right and then I have to ask a question, so I'm not saying it. :mrgreen:

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:38 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

onewithnature and bishop3006...good teamwork! I'll let ya'll decide who goes next.

The insect I had in mind was the bagworm moth. Here's a bit more info:

The Psychidae or Bagworms are a family of the Lepidoptera (butterflies and moths). The larvae of the Psychidae construct cases out of silk and environmental materials such as sand, soil, lichen, or plant materials. These cases are attached to rocks, trees or fences while resting or during their pupa stage, but are otherwise mobile
Each species makes a case particular to its species, making the case more useful to identify the species than the creature itself.
Adult females of many bagworm species have only vestigial wings, legs, and mouthparts. The adult males of most species are strong fliers with well-developed wings and feathery antennae but survive only long enough to reproduce due to under developed mouthparts that prevent them from feeding.
A bagworm begins to build its case as soon as it hatches. Once the case is built, only adult males ever leave the case, never to return, when they take flight to find a mate.
Bagworms are considered pests to humans due to the damage done to host trees such as wattle in South Africa. Southern Africa is the home region for the wattle bagworm, where they are common and often infest wattle plantations, which cover more than half a million acres (2,000 km©˜) in South Africa, primarily in the Province of KwaZulu-Natal.
The females never leave the cocoons to become moths. The males emerge from their cocoons in June only long enough to fly about in search of a mate, dying soon after fertilizing a female. The females lie motionless while the males extend their abdomens into the female’s case to mate.
Following fertilization she lays her eggs and then, still in her bag, gradually shrivals until her entire body is a mass of eggs. All that's left of her is the head.
The wattle bagworm spreads in a unique way. After hatching as a caterpillar, the insect spins a silk thread and hangs from the end for a few days. The wind transports the caterpillar to another tree, spreading the species quite effectively.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

So the broekmannetjie is probably the wattle bagworm :big_eyes:

(Photo from What's That Bug)

Learned something new again today :dance:

I never knew that they spread/live like that! Quite interesting. Interesting indeed.

OWN, you were first - bring it on... :clap:

I believe that for man to survive, we must work with nature rather than against her. We need the land; the land doesn't need us. Too many people have lost sight of this fact. - Bruce Truter

Unread postPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:48 am 
I took a tiny, almost-wrong step, and you did all the great work bishop! But, I'll oblige you, my friend ...

In 2002, a new order of insects was discovered in Namibia. A very significant discovery, as no new order had been discovered since 1915! What is the name of the insect order, and what (briefly) do these insects look like?

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:15 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:big_eyes: Didn't now that! Will have to go look-see on the 'net sometime...

Unread postPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:36 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If nobody else is gonna answer this one, I will...(or are we all trying to avoid being "IT"?)

The new Order is Mantophasmatodea, and is a cross between a stick insect (except its first body segment is the largest), a mantid (except it uses both fore and mid legs to catch prey), and a grasshopper (the difference being it can't jump). It is up to 4cm (1.6 inches) in size, is carnivorous and nocturnal, and lives at the base of grass clumps that grow in rock crevices.

(Anybody out there seen one?) Great question, onewithnature!

Unread postPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:46 am 
Great answer, Africat! :clap: :clap: :clap: I haven't yet been to Namibia, bit I'll keep a compound eye peeled for it when I do :lol:
YOU'RE IT!

Unread postPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:40 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Who purportedly said the following:

"If one could conclude as to the nature of the Creator from a study of creation, it would appear that God has an inordinate fondness for stars and ( __a___ )."

Using sheer numbers of species as a criterion for success, these are the most successful animals on Earth. If single examples of every plant and animal species were placed in a row, every (__#__) species would be one of these, and every (__#__) species of this insect would be a (__b__) . i.e. a type of this insect.

Who said it, fill in a and b, and supply the correct numbers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 958 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 64  Next