Unread postby Ludwig » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:12 pm

Image Image

Ludwig
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Puff adder

Unread postby Ludwig » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:34 pm

Mfezi wrote:Hi Ludwig
Nice photos!! Where did you see this Puffy?? Was it still alive?? I almost get the idea that it may be dead??
Mfezi

Hello Mfezi,
I saw it between Pretoriuskop and Skukuza.
Here is the link to the story:

Link

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:00 am

they aren't venomous when they are shedding

:shock: Hi Woodlin, that is not true at all. They are poisonous, but apart from that, snakes overall are very irritable when shedding skin. Your hubby is very lucky to not have been bitten cause the Puffadder makes for a nasty & potentially fatal bite.

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Mfezi » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:23 am

Woodlin, I agree 100% with what Scipio has said. One must bear in mind that if the type of snake that is under discussion is known to be a venomous specie, it will always be venomous. No matter what the snake is doing or not doing.

Venomous snakes' babies are born / hatched with a fully equipped venom apparatus, fangs and venom and it stays in working condition until the day that they die.

Your husband is indeed lucky that he got so close to the snake with out being bitten. Who knows, another movement might have just triggered the snake to strike. It also just shows you how well their camouflage is that your husband got so close without seeing the snake and that the snake had to hiss to warn your husband. On the other hand it also shows that snakes will not just strike at any object indiscriminately. Remember that one reason for snakes striking is when they feel endangered.

Hope this helps.

Mfezi

cryptq1

Unread postby cryptq1 » Sat May 03, 2008 12:46 am

wildtuinman wrote:I have two questions:

1.) Apparently they only bite when you step ON and not NEXT to it. Is this true?

2.) I also want to query something else. I am not so sure that a puffadder can be called deadly. Yes, I agree that you will have a chance of turning your toes skywards with the complications of gangrene and the effects of (anaphylactic?) shock, but I am not that convinced that you will die easily from a puffadder bite.

What do the experts say?

Hi, I'm no expert but I'll try and respond.

1)Bill Branch, in his work Field Guide to Snakes and other Reptiles of Southern Africa, mentions that the Puff Adder strikes readily which leads me to believe that it will strike if you get close enough for it to feel threatened and not only if you step on it.

2)In the same work he says that bites are common but fatalities rare so you seem to be correct there.

armata

Unread postby armata » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:49 pm

Just thought I would add this. Handling puff adder double hook method, spreading the weight. Female from WCNP.

TP

armata

Unread postby armata » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:59 pm

And this is where we found her in WCNP, 3m up a tree - puff adders climb very well>

TP

alan bluehole

Re: Identification help: Snakes

Unread postby alan bluehole » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:30 pm

Hello, I spotted this snake crossing the road in southern Kruger during June 2007:

Click through for larger versions on Flickr.

I looked through some photos, but haven't found a good match. Would you help, please?
1st Time to KNP
June 14-19, 2007 / Trip Report coming soon

Bogga

Re: Pufadder Monster!

Unread postby Bogga » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:35 pm

And if you would like to observe the animal up close, this would be the way to go!

ice

Re: Snakes: Puffadder

Unread postby ice » Thu May 14, 2009 4:00 pm

are these snakes "mating"? would "mating" be the correct term when snakes are "reproducing"? and is it possible to determine (by colour, length or position) which is the female and which the male? and is it true that puff adders sometimes bite humans without injecting any venom, simply to save for occasions when they can make better use of it (kill prey)?

thanks

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Fri May 15, 2009 12:47 am

There is much colouration difference between Pufadders, so colouration is not an indication of sex. Male snakes often have longer tails than the females, and also exhibit a marked thickening around the cloacal area.

This may indeed be a pair mating .... but it may also have been two males busy fighting. Snakes do not bite when fighting (it could be rather dangerous) they rather wrestle each other.

And yes, it is true that snakes will at times deliver a "dry bite". This is intended as a warning and preserves the venom, which is "expensive" to produce and important for survival.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

fooble

Unread postby fooble » Fri May 15, 2009 8:21 am

I think those are two ,males in combat as its said.
Probably will find there was a female near by.

Batsman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Batsman » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:48 am

Two nice Puffadder pics from our recent trip to KTP:

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ndloti » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:46 pm

As regards puffadders striking readily :
I was third in the line after the ranger & tracker on a wilderness trail in southern KNP on a cool day with thick vegetation underfoot .
I was fortunate to look down before possibly putting my foot on a large puffadder that was silently slithering away from the threat posed by the first 2 in the queue , so was possibly lucky that it was a cool day and the snake was perhaps less active .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Safrica

Re: Identification help: Snakes

Unread postby Safrica » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:34 pm

could somebody please help me with the ID?
it was at the stairs up to Cape Point...
a very small snake - maybe a baby? :hmz:

Thanks!
Jochen

KNP-trip No. 8: 2014!
30 November: Pretoriuskop
1-2 December: Lower Sabie
3-4 December: Satara
5-6 December: Balule
7-8 December: Letaba
9-10 December: Tamboti

1993, 1995, 1998, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2013. Next trip coming up!

Return to “Reptiles, Amphibians and Fish”