Bats: ID Needed?

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks

Moderator: RosemaryH

Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Bat ID Please?

Unread postby Pjw » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:38 pm

Thanks Batmad, Sorry, but I did not see it in flight and there is no way I would pick it up and turn it over to look :big_eyes:
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Bat ID Please?

Unread postby Batmad » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:28 pm

I would go with Yellow house bat :wink:
Avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and photographer with a special interest in Bats and Birds

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds

Skyjuggler

Re: Bats: ID Needed?

Unread postby Skyjuggler » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:08 am

Okay Batmad, I may be new to these forums but I think I may have a duzi question for you :mrgreen:

First off though this is a bit of a gruesome question so to any squeemish readers, maybe skip it.

Secondly I'm sorry about the photo quality, we were unprepared and had to make do with a cerll phone...

Right, the story goes like this: A friend and I were walking through a bat-renowned tunnel in Shongweni Durban. On the way out we noticed something a little strange. A bat (I thought a Schreiber's long fingered bat but stand under correction) was shivering and acting a little strangely. On further investigation it turns out it was actually being bitten by a spider. The spider was on it's back buried into the fur. We watched for a few seconds and to our amazement the spider was actually actively moving to different parts of the bat and seemed to be biting there too...

I'm afraid I haven't been very pro-active in identifying the spider as I've been waiting for the better quality pics, you can see him clearly though on the bat's left shoulder. But in the interim, any thoughts?

Right, the jury's out...
Last edited by Skyjuggler on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skyjuggler

Unread postby Skyjuggler » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:17 am

Sorry, one more thing to add...

I've learnt more about bats in this single thread than I have in my last three months of bat interest. Thanks for a great thread Batmad :clap:

I can't wait to drop "Palatal ridges" into conversation about identification :dance:

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Batmad » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:13 am

Ok,

It is great to know that you have learnt alot from my course. It means i am doing my job right :dance:

I would ID you bat 1st but i would need to see his face properly :(

But it is a cave dwelling species and does not have any nose leaves so my wild guess would also be Schribers.....NB-Ther name hase now been changed to Natal long fungered bat :wink:

The "Spider' to me looks like a bat fly which is common on bats and are harmless to humans. They suck the bats blood and dont cause any harm to them. There are many different species of bat fly and i dont know any of them....all i know is that this is a bat fly. Bat flys canot survive without bats and the minute it leaves the bat it will probaly soon die.

Hope this helps,

BM
Avid birder, wildlife enthusiast and photographer with a special interest in Bats and Birds

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds

Yolandé Oelsen
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Yolandé Oelsen » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:29 am

Hi BM - saw these bats: they are 'sleeping' in the womens bathroom at Nkhulu, the new ones on the left. And they are making a terrible mess in there. But what are they??
www.whereeaglesrest.co.za
STIFFNECK
"I'll rise up like the Eagle & I will soar with You because Your Spirit leads me on ~ by the Power of Your Love"

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Batmad » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi yolande,

Those are Sundevalls leafnosed bats :wink:

Yolandé Oelsen
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Yolandé Oelsen » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:52 pm

Thanks BM :thumbs_up:
www.whereeaglesrest.co.za
STIFFNECK
"I'll rise up like the Eagle & I will soar with You because Your Spirit leads me on ~ by the Power of Your Love"

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Batmad » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:54 pm

Its always a pleasure :thumbs_up:

Cloda

Unread postby Cloda » Wed May 06, 2009 1:43 pm

Hi Batman

I work in Nature's Valley and often get asked what is the most likely bat that will roost in the roof/chimney. The species that has been mentioned a few times is the Cape Seritone bat? Can you confirm or can it be some other species.

Thx

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Batmad » Wed May 06, 2009 5:13 pm

Howzit Cloda,

If you can tell me exactly where Natures valley is i will tell you what bats are most common in your area :wink:

Boorgatspook
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Boorgatspook » Wed May 06, 2009 5:18 pm

A warm welcome to the Forums Cloda! Hope you will have a great time here :D

Cloda

Unread postby Cloda » Wed May 06, 2009 9:52 pm

Thanks for the Welcome.

Nature's Valley is a small coastal village about 20km East from Plettenberg Bay in the Western Cape. Basically on the Western Edge of the Tsitsikamma National Park.

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Batmad » Sun May 10, 2009 6:53 pm

Ok i will try find out what bats are found there. :D

Cloda

Unread postby Cloda » Fri May 15, 2009 2:03 pm

Thanks Batmad, much appreciated :thumbs_up:

Return to “Mammals”