Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Game in Cape Point NR?
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

That's what this forum is really about IMO, sharing information, experience and "local knowledge". I'm also over 65, so appreciate your concerns about wandering about in remote places. I hope that Wanda will weigh in on the safety of the walking trails. I've done a bit of walking, say to the actual viewpoints from the carpark, but never really wander too far away from my car. However, just the fact that you can get out anywhere to look at the plants more closely is really nice. I often park along the road and wander up and down with my camera taking photos of interesting plants — and then try to work out what they are in my fynbos fieldguide and/or post them on the plants forum in hopes of help :D

I'm sure you'll have an enjoyable time and find your own special places in the park, which is a big favourite of mine. The approach routes on both sides of the pennisula are interesting, the long beach at Scarborough has impressive rollers — and then when you're at Olifantsbosstrand, if you look north, what you are seeing is the beach at Scarborough and if it's clear you can even see the lighthouse at Kommetjie!

The views on the False Bay side are also lovely in both directions and if you have time, you can stop at Boulders to frolic with the penguins. One spot that I really like is what appears to be something of a tern rookery. I'm trying to remember whether it's reached from the Buffelsbaai road or the right fork of the Black Rocks road. Whichever it is, when you reach the shore you go left and at the very far end of the carpark at the end of the road is a concrete tidal pool and rocky beaches and both times I've been there I've seen hundreds of swift and sandwich terns.

Enjoy your planning and ask away if you've more questions. All these roads are tar, but narrow and twisting and you may encounter ostrich and baboons and even a tortoise or two with little warning. Besides, you'll want to drive slowly to spot the birds and plants. I'm sure you'll have a very rewarding time!

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:14 pm 

That's all very interesting, arks.

We'll definitely go to Boulders again. We've got to check on the nest boxes we sponsored!

Narrow and twisting roads I'm fine with, as I live in a rural area in the UK. I'm sure we're going to have an amazing time!

anitagibbs wrote:
I'll see if I can find somewhere online to order a map.

:doh: I've just discovered that one of the maps I already have shows the area quite well. The Insight Fleximap of Cape Town shows the roads and places you mentioned nicely, arks.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Looks like you're all set then! :thumbs_up: Have a great trip! :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
Hi Anita! I think Arks has answered just about all your questions and has given good advice. So just to weigh in on the safety aspect - We have always felt safe in the reserve. We usually end up doing small walks in quiet places and love it. The most NB point - remember to respect the baboons. Do not carry food with you when you walk, and when you leave your car, ensure any food in the car is hidden from view. We have encountered baboons on our walks, and since we do not carry food, they ignore us. Also, recently all the baboon troops we have seen in the park, have been accompanied by a baboon monitor( a Parks employee who monitors the baboons and ensures they do not cause problems).

Some short walks that you might like to try:
1) Along the Olifantsbos road, +- 5 kms from the main tar road, there is a gravel road/pathway(only for bicycles and walkers) on the Cape Point side of the road - this can be a starting point to explore the fynbos and landscape and you can walk for a few minutes or hours(trail eventually ends up at Olifantsbos.)This trail is on the map you are given at the entrance gate - as a hiking path.
2) As Arks suggested - a ramble along the beaches at Olifantsbos. There is a designated footpath from the O car park, going towards Cape Point, which will take you to a wreck on the beach. Some of the trail is soft sand though.
3) Gifkommetjie - a few short footpaths thru fynbos taking you to some lookout points. (a few minutes to the lookouts).Very easy and short!
4) If you park at Booi se Skerm(near Black Rocks), you can walk along an old tar road(in the CT direction) to Venus Pool.When you get near the pool, you will have to climb/scramble down a few rocks to more closely investigate the tidal pool. I would estimate that it is a +- 2km round trip.

Arks spoke about terns - sightings at Bordjiesrif near the concrete tidal pool :thumbs_up: and also at Olifantsbos.

Just to end - another nice drive is the road past Neptune's Diary to the Cape of Good Hope. This is quite a busy road, as tour buses use it, but there is a good chance of spotting whales(especially in Sep) and ostriches, also a chance of spotting a few eland(they like the escarpment above the Cape of Good Hope, but below the Cape Point car park - I believe HiltonP also spotted them in this area).

Hope this helps! :D

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:48 am 

Yes, that helps a lot thanks, wanderw. :thumbs_up:

I've copied and printed everything you and arks have said, and I know it will help us to make the most of the time we spend in the reserve. :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:26 am 

Just been to Cape Point for the first time...
Didn`t drive around a lot but we saw 3 Bontebok (even a young one!), 1 Baboon, Rock Dassie, Ostriches and a Puff Adder!

The baby Puff Adder was on the path up to the light house - lying on the edge of the stairs! :shock: :wink:

I also enjoyed the Bontebok - never seen them before! :dance:

KNP-trip No. 8: 2014!
30 November: Pretoriuskop
1-2 December: Lower Sabie
3-4 December: Satara
5-6 December: Balule
7-8 December: Letaba
9-10 December: Tamboti

1993, 1995, 1998, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2013. Next trip coming up!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Never seen either :roll: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:41 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Bontebok are only in Cape Point, West Coast, and of course Bontebok parks.

The species is endemic to the Western Cape. The similar looking Blesbok is found in other areas.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

They are actually found in more than these 3 mentioned reserves.

There are very good numbers in De Hoop and Potberg (some people always forget about this reserve).
Although in the same area as WCNP, Postberg has a good population which still seems to be at least partially separated by a fence.
There are also other good populations spread out and about in various non recognised reserves and private land areas as well a population of 20+ that I saw outside Namutoni gate of the Etosha - can you believe it!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:52 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
I have seen them in De Hoop o-dog, but it is not a NP.

Etosha? You sure they weren't blesbok?

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:14 pm 

I agree that you have to stay off the main tar road. It is like a race track and if you spot anything and stop - you might well end up in an accident. We stopped to look at some rare and endangered marsh pagodas - Mimetes hirtus flowers that are in full bloom along the road and were nearly run over by a hundred or so motorbikes making an unholy racket as they sped past, lots of cars that overtook our stationary vehicle at high speeds, and a huge tour bus whose driver shook his finger at us as if we were doing something bad.
Unfortunately a lot of the speeding cars are SANParks cars too. No wonder theres no game - its all been run over!
But the walks are certainly worth the trip along the race track to get to them. We have always felt very safe doing them.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:55 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
The only mimetes that the majority of visitors are interested in is 'Mimetes ready' on the braai.

We has a lot of the real mimetes near our cottage in Betty's Bay.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:46 pm 

I know its an old thread but i thought I'd share my most recent experiance there, in late September.

In one morning i saw (excluding birds)

- Chacma Baboon
- Striped Fieldmouse
- Red Hartebeest
- Bontebok
- Eland
- Angulate Tortoise
- Cape Girdled Lizard
- Southern Rock Agama
- Rock Dasise

I lost count of the number of Ostriches i saw.

Grysbok and Cape Mountain Zebra have been seen previously.

If you want to see the few large mammals, stay off the main road between the entrance and Cape Point. Olifantsbos Road and Circular Drive are the most productive.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Anyone know how is the game viewing around the Olifantsbos Guest House?

I agree with a few others on here that the Table Mountain park site on sanparks isn't very helpful for the completely uninitiated. :) I'm used to the comprehensive info about Kruger. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:56 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
The game in Cape Point is quite sparse Stark, owing to the poor nutrient value of the emdemic fynbos (fine bush). You might be lucky....